Sutton Bank in an artic?

I’m over at Barnard Castle and I’ve got to go to a farm over in Sproxton near Helmsley. What is going up Sutton Bank like in an unloaded artic? I’ve never been up or down it but know that Caravans are banned from using it, is it advisable to find another route? Mind you looking at my map there is no other way to get to it unless I want to go all the way down to York up the A64 and in from Pickering way but that’s a hell of a diversion.

Don’t block it up !!

IMG_1698.JPG

A quick look on google flagged up a facebook page. Suggesting that its not the best place to take ones artic vehicle. 25% incline and a hairpin bend to boot.

Might be worth taking the longer route and giving yourself less hassle.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

A1…

A59 round the top of York and out that way.

Be fine going up empty if dry, can struggle for traction when your light and it’s wet. Can also follow caravan route, but that’s not great. That’ll bring you out close to Sproxton

I wouldn’t bother. Too many truck drivers get stuck on Sutton Bank 'cos they think taking an artic up there will make their small ■■■■■ larger.
Follow the route advice of those that wouldn’t! :slight_smile:

Cheers for the advice fellow Truck Neters :smiley:

Been up it empty, definitely not for the faint hearted

Truckulent:
I wouldn’t bother. Too many truck drivers get stuck on Sutton Bank 'cos they think taking an artic up there will make their small ■■■■■ larger.

If a driver can’t get an empty artic in dry weather up Sutton Bank then he/she should probably hand their licence in. That isn’t some macho bull btw, just a simple statement of facts.

last time I went over was in 1990 in a 360 m.a.n no drama’s. (empty).

It’s a steep hill, WTF ?
What has the world come to when a driver asks what it’s like to drive up or down a hill ? … Especially empty :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I really feel for some people, I usually take the pee ate the US drivers but if any of them saw this post thread they would be in fits of laughter :laughing:

the maoster:

Truckulent:

If a driver can’t get an empty artic in dry weather up Sutton Bank then he/she should probably hand their licence in. That isn’t some macho bull btw, just a simple statement of facts.

My sentiments entirely :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Does it say trucks are not permitted? Get on with it then!

Steve, it’s an experience but you’ll get up no bother empty. Been up & down half a dozen times.

Pat Hasler:
It’s a steep hill, WTF ?
What has the world come to when a driver asks what it’s like to drive up or down a hill ? … Especially empty :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I really feel for some people, I usually take the pee ate the US drivers but if any of them saw this post thread they would be in fits of laughter :laughing:

I’ve never been near it, it’s the steepest hill in England and one year over 100 trucks got stuck that’s why I asked smart arse :unamused:

Aye, looks reet enough to me Steve. The odds of getting up are pretty good too, police say on average only 120 lorries per year fail to make it past the hairpin. :smiley:

BJVRL-lCQAMci11.jpg
Regards. John.

Man up and enjoy the experience.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Pat Hasler:
It’s a steep hill, WTF ?

I’ve never been near it, it’s the steepest hill in England and one year over 100 trucks got stuck that’s why I asked smart arse :unamused:

If they get stuck on it they have no right to hold a licence, experience counts, if you can’t use get up a hill give up, I’ll bat you use a sat nav too LOL.
Try climbing a 4,000 ft mountain in snow FFS.

The biggest problem on Sutton Bank, is not how steep it is … the problem is the hair-pin bend about half-way up … with an artic, you need to take a wide swing over the centre white line AND you have got to keep the low gear / plenty of revs …BUT … if a vehicle coming down the hill does not give-way and you lose speed ( or God forbid STOP ) … you will find it difficult to get going.
Highway code rule used to be vehicles going down a hill should give way to vehicles coming up the hill … particularly if that vehicle is larger / heavier / loaded … I bet they don’t teach THAT on the driving test :unamused:
AND … YES I have been UP & DOWN in an artic :laughing:

the maoster:

Truckulent:

Very true .