Question regarding WTD

Would like to get clarification on WTD when working between 6 and 9 hours. I am aware that you need to take a 30 minute break (6-9 hours), but what if I took 15 minute break prior to reaching 6 hours, in total worked 6hrs20 minutes and then onto Daily rest, should I have taken the full 30min break before I reached 6 hours work time?

As far as I know, you need to take a break of at least 15 mins before the 6 hours, then another 15 if you work more than 6 hours, up to 9. After 9, you’d need another 15.

I thought the same. Had to sign for an infringement recently as worked 6 hrs 20 minutes taking a break of 15 minutes (insufficient break), Yet I finished shift and went home after 6hrs20min.

See attached image, it states don’t work over 6 hrs without taking at least 15 minute break, Which I have taken and still got an infringement.

15 minutes will do you.

TiredAndEmotional:
15 minutes will do you.

No it wont.

He’s worked between 6-9 hours so needs to have 30 minutes. Which can be split into two blocks of 15 minutes.

F-reds:

TiredAndEmotional:
15 minutes will do you.

No it wont.

He’s worked between 6-9 hours so needs to have 30 minutes. Which can be split into two blocks of 15 minutes.

But what if your daily rest starts after having worked 6 hours though? Considering I took 15m already did I have to take another 15m to make it 30min prior to having reached 6 hours of work?

romik:

F-reds:

TiredAndEmotional:
15 minutes will do you.

No it wont.

But what if your daily rest starts after having worked 6 hours though? Considering I took 15m already did I have to take another 15m to make it 30min prior to having reached 6 hours of work?

No. you would only be required to take a further 15 minutes if you approach 9 hours. However, you might find your employer takes a different view. Best check with them.

TiredAndEmotional:

romik:

F-reds:

TiredAndEmotional:
15 minutes will do you.

No it wont.

No. you would only be required to take a further 15 minutes if you approach 9 hours. However, you might find your employer takes a different view. Best check with them.

Well, I signed for it now.

Just didn’t seem right to me, so I thought I would come here and ask you guys. As far as I can tell according to legislation I did nothing wrong, but client’s software things different.

romik:

F-reds:

TiredAndEmotional:
15 minutes will do you.

No it wont.

No. Forget about your daily rest that has no bearing on it.

Your shift length was 6:20, take off your 15 minute break that you had. Leaves you total working time on shift as 6:05, which means you worked between 6-9 hours meaning you needed to take a TOTAL of 30 minutes break during your shift. The first 15 minutes is great that counts as half of the amount you needed! You needed to take another 15 minutes at any point in the rest of the shift provided you worked 1 minute afterwards as well.

Don’t worry its hardly the end of the world.

F-reds:

romik:

F-reds:

TiredAndEmotional:
15 minutes will do you.

No it wont.

Your shift length was 6:20, take off your 15 minute break that you had. Leaves you total working time on shift as 6:05, which means you worked between 6-9 hours meaning you needed to take a TOTAL of 30 minutes break during your shift. The first 15 minutes is great that counts as half of the amount you needed! You needed to take another 15 minutes at any point in the rest of the shift provided you worked 1 minute afterwards as well.

Cheers! It’s the wording in the legislation that confuses, why state - DON’T WORK OVER 6 HOURS WITHOUT COMPLETEING AT LEAST 15 MINUTE BREAK? Just state if working over 6 hours then compulsory 30minutes required.

Oh well.

F-reds:

romik:

F-reds:

TiredAndEmotional:
15 minutes will do you.

No it wont.

Looking at the info I googled I think F-red is right you have exceeded 6 hrs, albeit only by 5 minutes therefore you need 30 mins in total,as you have gone into the 6-9 bracket

Working time done during the shift = 8 hours so a total of 30 mins needed but can be split into 2 x 15s
At no point in the shift must there be more than 6 hours working time without a break
Breaks cannot be at the very start or end of a shift

Working time done during the shift = 11 hours so a total of 45 mins needed but can be split into 3 x 15s
Example
work 4 hours
break 15 mins
work 6 hours
break 15 mins
work 30 mins
break 15 mins
work 30 mins

CAVEAT - assuming driving times breaks are not needed

This question is like a weekly tradition! :laughing:

F-reds and ROG are right…

What I am still confused about is whether I do or don’t need to take a 30-minute break before 6 hours of work have been reached? I thought upto 6 hours work 15 minutes is fine, between 6 and 9 30 minutes required, BUT I went home after 6h19m, does that mean I should have taken a total of 30 minute before going home■■? Makes no sense at this stage :confused:

romik:
What I am still confused about is whether I do or don’t need to take a 30-minute break before 6 hours of work have been reached? I thought upto 6 hours work 15 minutes is fine, between 6 and 9 30 minutes required, BUT I went home after 6h19m, does that mean I should have taken a total of 30 minute before going home■■? Makes no sense at this stage :confused:

The answer to the first question is no you do not, you can have a minimum break of 15 mins before the 6 hrs and have the rest after. The answer to the second question is yes, as you worked over 6hrs but under 9hrs you needed to take a total break of 30 mins.

romik:

See if this thread helps pal…

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145429&p=2297459#p2297459

romik:

if you logged more than 6 hours of WORK TIME then a total of 30 mins needed

See my example in my post above for the 6 hour rule

If you want to work between 6 to 9 hours with a 30 minute break, ( 2 x 15 mins ) carry on my son, here is one driver who wont…i work 4 hours its time for a 45…work another 4 hrs and its another 45 sorry…but i`m in transport, and thats the way i work. I cant understand any other way. Yes there are 2 sets of regulations, so i drive for 3 hours, back on a bay ( no self tip ) put the tacho on break for 2 hrs is one example.

Ok thanks all, I’m clear on this issue now :slight_smile:

truckyboy:
If you want to work between 6 to 9 hours with a 30 minute break, ( 2 x 15 mins ) carry on my son, here is one driver who wont…i work 4 hours its time for a 45…work another 4 hrs and its another 45 sorry…but i`m in transport, and thats the way i work. I cant understand any other way. Yes there are 2 sets of regulations, so i drive for 3 hours, back on a bay ( no self tip ) put the tacho on break for 2 hrs is one example.

+1

Work all day…

With only 15/30 minutes off?

You want yer head tested.