Handing in notice

I’ve been offered a job at a firm that is about 3 miles from where I live and for more money. Writing my notice letter to my current boss now and I’m wondering how to word it. I’ve never had to write a formal notice letter before. The day I’ve been given to start on is the 3rd of April but they want to get me in on the previous Friday for an induction. The problem is I work nights so my Thursday actually finishes on Friday morning making it difficult for me to get to this induction, especially if I need to use my drivers card.

I actually received said offer last night at 17:30 in the evening, I spoke to friend at work who says to date it from the 22nd and end my employment on the Wednesday night (29th), Thursday morning (30th). This means I’m working one less day than my full week requirement if I hand it in to my boss tonight when I go in but I do have two days holiday remaining in this year. Am I within my rights to terminate my employment on the Wednesday night, Thursday morning and use that remaining holiday regardless of what my boss says?

I don’t want to go in all wishy washy but I want to know if I’m in the right for doing it this way.

Just tell your boss, “if you want something loyal, buy a dog”
Explain to your boss that you want to take your 2 holidays on the end of your notice period.
Don’t backdate it, is rubbish.
Be open and honest, transport is a small world, your boss may know your new gaffer, and if you try to pull a quickly, you will make a fool of yourself.
Just explain it to your boss.

Well played…

On getting your new gig.

I can’t help you at all with resignation letters. I’ve usually left jobs with ‘you can take this job and shove it where the sun don’t shine’ to who ever was unlucky enough to be around on the day.

I reckon your new place will be sympathetic to your nightshifts. If you can’t do anything legit on the Friday because you haven’t had sufficient rest, I can’t see them cutting up rough about it.

I can’t see you going out on the road on an induction. The last one I did was literally to come in fill out paper work, be shown around premises and introduced to people then finally I was issued with my uniform. All in all was there for 2 hours.

Where you off to?

I wouldn’t backdate it. I’d speak to your boss and verbally give your notice and let them know that you have a letter to formally confirm that you are leaving. Then I’d ask if I could leave a day early, if they say no, then I’d speak to the other firm and let them know that you will be working through the night and therefore unable to work on the Friday.

TBH it would ring alarm bells with me if they insisted on you coming in on the Friday, because firstly it would mean they have a lax approach to hours and secondly, if they have a driver leaving them, they’d want that driver to finish planned work. When we take someone ask, we ask them when they can start and that’s the day they start. I certainly wouldn’t expect someone who had been driving all night to come in and do work, which is what an induction day is.

As for the letter, simple, just say that you are giving a weeks notice, you have enjoyed working there ( in case you wnat your job back) and that it’s time to do something different/work for more money/get ADR/hiab experience).

Speak to your new employer explaining the situation as you’ve done here. The induction might not be a long affair but you need to find out whether it is do-able or not. Take it from there.

Just hand it in today to finish after Wednesday nights shift, as for holiday pay, what is owed should be payed in your last wage packet.
Never known a firm take action over notice period or lack of it yet.

weeto:

Not great advice. It does happen.

Do you like the current job and could you ever see yourself your wanting to go back?

If you do then you need to leave properly and tell the new job look, this is my part of my contact and notice period with them and that you want to do it properly, as you would with them or any job.

If you hate your current job and could never see yourself going back then shove it and tell em your not working Thursday night, your last shift is wednesday, end of.

As for the late, it just needs to say this is my formal notice of resignation, my last day will be …

If you want to go back then add a bit in about thanks for having me and I’ve enjoyed my time here blah blah blah

If you don’t want to go back then just keep it to the facts. This is my notice and I’m finishing this day. Signed sealed delivered.

albion:
As for the letter, simple, just say that you are giving a weeks notice, you have enjoyed working there ( in case you wnat your job back) and that it’s time to do something different.

^
This
Dont burn your bridges. Hopefully your new job will be better but if it turns out to be ■■■■■ at least you can approach your old employer on friendly terms…

Here you go:

[INSERT NAME]
[INSERT ADDRESS]

Dear [INSERT MANAGER’S NAME],

Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation from the position of [INSERT JOB TITLE]
at [INSERT COMPANY].

Although my employment contract states a required notice period of [INSERT NOTICE
PERIOD LENGTH], I would like to reduce this to [INSERT REQUESTED NOTICE PERIOD
LENGTH], completing my employment on [INSERT LAST DAY YOU INTEND TO WORK]
This is due to [INSERT REASON WHY YOU REQUIRE A SHORTER NOTICE] and I hope
we can come to an amicable agreement to grant this request.

I have enjoyed being a part of the team and am thankful for the opportunities you have given
me during my time here. I hope that I can rely on you for a positive reference in future.

Yours sincerely

[INSERT NAME]

By law you have to give either a minimum of a weeks notice or whatever notice your contract states (whichever is the greater) and that notice starts from the day after you hand in your notice of resignation. You don’t have to give written notice, an email or verbal is good enough but in my opinion written is both easier to do and provides a physical record so there’s no dispute.

TiredAndEmotional:

weeto:

Not in this industry.

weeto:

TiredAndEmotional:

weeto:

Not in this industry.

No you’re right actually. Can’t understand why I made that statement… :unamused:

Dear boss
Thank you for the opertunity .i enjoyed every minute working for you,Although a job has been offered that is closer to home and is for more money.please except my weeks notice .i wish you all the best in the future .And thanks for everything.
P.s i will take my 2 final holidays in my final week if that is ok .
Best regards

Give a weeks notice but state you’ll be leaving 2 days before the full weeks notice as you’ll be taking the 2 days holiday your entitled to. Leave on good terms mind.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

you should give one weeks notice for each year of service however this is rarely enforced but is a help if you are sacked or made redundant as you will receive pay in lieu of notice and this bumps up any severance or redundancy pay

Quite often a chat with your current TM will sort it out, I had a job offer on a Tuesday afternoon so came back in the yard at the end of the day, spoke with the TM and finished that Friday to start the new job on the Monday.

At another place I did more then a week because the new job didn’t need me instantly and it meant the current employer had more time to plan for me leaving.

Unless your TM is the type to go out his way to screw someone over when you mention you are leaving most will work with you.

mrginge:
Quite often a chat with your current TM will sort it out, I had a job offer on a Tuesday afternoon so came back in the yard at the end of the day, spoke with the TM and finished that Friday to start the new job on the Monday.

At another place I did more then a week because the new job didn’t need me instantly and it meant the current employer had more time to plan for me leaving.

Unless your TM is the type to go out his way to screw someone over when you mention you are leaving most will work with you.

This!

Don’t leave on bad terms, you may live to regret it…
And if your old firm do hold you to a full week, then you’ll have to explain that to your new employer. OK they might not like it, but I’d hope they respect you for being a man of principle…

Best of luck Radar! :smiley:

Thanks for the help guys. I’m going to go into work earlier tonight to try and catch my TM before he leaves, although I can leave it for him I’d rather hand it over face to face. Reading through my contract though, the part of about holiday entitlement is written in such legal nonsense I can’t understand it.

" On termination of your employment you shall be entitled to be paid in lieu of accrued but untaken holiday save that, where such termination is pursuant to clause 8.4 or follows your resignation in breach of clause 8.1, such accrued but untaken holiday shall be based on your minimum holiday entitlement under the WTD 1998 and not your entitlement under clause 6.1. For these purposes any paid holiday that you have taken (including any paid holiday on public holidays) shall be deemed first to be statutory paid holiday".

Does that mean I can taken those days in lieu or do I have to work them?