Adr.. result! :)

Just received my ADR results through…

Got everything by the looks of it…

‘Tanks’… 2, 3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.1, 5.2, 6.1, 6.2, 8 & 9 :smiley:

‘Other Than Tanks’… 2, 3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.1, 5.2, 6.1, 6.2, 8 & 9 :smiley:

Just a quick one though regarding gases (class 2)…

Does the category of class 2 ‘on it’s own’ cover the ‘divisions’ of class 2…?

As in 2.1 - flammable, 2.2 - non flammable and 2.3 - toxic■■?

Don’t take this the wrong way but if you have just passed shouldn’t you know what you can carry?

Do ‘divisions’ come under their own ‘classes’? I mean…

Really !!!

This isn’t frightening, much

Who did you do your course with ■■

The gas man:
Really !!!

Scooby Doo? Not done ADR …Buy surely if you have just done the course you might have just a clue as to what you can carry or what’s the point of the course in the first place?..

Daytrunker:

The gas man:
Really !!!

Scooby Doo? Not done ADR …Buy surely if you have just done the course you might have just a clue as to what you can carry or what’s the point of the course in the first place?..

I think the OP is a little confused as they’ve got subdivisions of classes like 4 and 5 on the licence, but not Class 2.
Hence the OP is doing the sensible thing and asking for clarification. What’s wrong with that?

Yes mate, you can carry Class 2.1

Evil8Beezle:

Daytrunker:

The gas man:
Really !!!

I think the OP is a little confused as they’ve got subdivisions of classes like 4 and 5 on the licence, but not Class 2.
Hence the OP is doing the sensible thing and asking for clarification. What’s wrong with that?

Yes mate, you can carry Class 2.1

Wasn’t having a go at the OP but surely the question would have been covered in the course?.

Thank you EB…

Multiple choice…helps you pass but not actually great at firmly embedding information. It’s how the education system works these days. Now gimme your money!

Education by absorption will never be as good as education by immersion.

Nowt wrong with asking a question, probably help me as I’m due an ADR course soon and I’m not the best pupil, in fact I spent most of my school time stood outside the class facing the wall, I’m a very naughty boy.

Anyway well done on passing.

Goldfinger:
Just received my ADR results through…

Got everything by the looks of it…

Hi Goldfinger,

Congratulations on your results!! :smiley:
You have a full set for everything that you attempted.

Goldfinger:
Does the category of class 2 ‘on it’s own’ cover the ‘divisions’ of class 2…?

As in 2.1 - flammable, 2.2 - non flammable and 2.3 - toxic■■?

YES, from what you’ve said, you’re covered for 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 in packages AND tanks.

Goldfinger:
Do ‘divisions’ come under their own ‘classes’? I mean…

Hi Goldfinger,

Different ADR instructors each have their own style of course delivery, so as long as the syllabus (set by the DfT) is complied with, there is perfectly acceptable variance in which parts of the course get covered more (or less) deeply.

Whilst instructing, the instructor has to gauge when he thinks that people have understood a particular point, otherwise the class will think he’s dragging it out, OR going too quickly.

Once you take account of the fact that some people learn quicker/slower than others, you can see that there’s a fine line to be drawn.

As other posters have wondered, it’s quite possible that the instructor did mention the point that you’re trying to clarify, but maybe you simply forgot that point. It’s also quite possible that he didn’t feel it necessary to give every last excruciating detail of the very fine distinctions that ADR uses in its definitions.

Bottom line…? There’s no exact answer as to whether that point was covered on your course, but it’s not really that important anyway because you’ve raised the question to gain clarity. There’s no harm in that. :smiley:

ADR says that UN Class 2 is divided into three divisions, called: 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3

Some of the other classes only appear to be similarly divided, but actually they are not.

4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.1. 5.2, 6.1 and 6.2 are all UN Classes in their own right.

Now to your ADR Card…
An ADR card is based on what I’ve said above and set out in a standardised way which has been agreed by all 49 ADR member countries (hopefully) so that everybody understands what a driver can and can’t carry.

The three divisions of UN Class 2 are NOT UN Classes in their own right, so you’ll only see a figure “2” rather than separate Classes when you’ve passed your UN Class 2 exam

I’m now facing the dilemma faced by your instructor… appear to skim and possibly be accused of skating over the question, or go banging on with yet more detail. Hmmm…

:bulb: Let’s just say that any further fine details are for lawyers and industrial chemists to argue about, so there’s sometimes no point in any of us asking why something is the case, because sometimes it’s just best to know that something IS what it is!! :grimacing:

I’ve done my best to avoid overload, so at least I hope I got that bit right. :smiley:

Daytrunker:

Hi Daytrunker,

This might surprise lots of folk, but an ADR course isn’t actually designed for what many people seem to think.

The whole idea of an ADR course is to teach drivers what the law (as per ADR 8.2 and the DfT) says that drivers need to know in order to carry dangerous goods safely.

The course covers a bit of first-aid, but it won’t turn a driver into a doctor, a nurse or even a first-aider.
It also covers fires and their causes, but the drivers taking the course won’t become firefighters even if they ace the exams.

Exactly the same goes for knowledge of ADR Regs and chemistry.

To answer the point you made, ADR does not require a driver to know when, or to what extent ADR applies to a particular job. That responsibility actually falls squarely on the owner of the vehicle.

If you take the fact that the ADR books have approx 1,300 pages, it’s easy to see that a driver can’t be expected to lean that lot within a week, so the parts of it that a driver is actually responsible for are very few and far between because the sender and the owner of the vehicle bear almost all of the legal responsibilities between them. An ADR course is designed to give drivers an overview, rather than lots of fine detail.

That’s regardless of what any out-of-touch boss might think or try to browbeat drivers with, because even the Managing Director and company owners cannot re-write a written law.

Thanks again Dave… :wink:

Just hope to put all this training to good use now…

As I said on another thread, I posted my joy on FB’s ‘North East Truckers’…

And the post got deleted / removed!! :imp:

So screw FB! :imp: We’ll stick to finding jobs the old way…

Goldfinger:
As I said on another thread, I posted my joy on FB’s ‘North East Truckers’…

And the post got deleted / removed!! :imp:

So screw FB! :imp: We’ll stick to finding jobs the old way…

Hi Goldfinger,

I’m sorry to hear that, but I’ll confess that I’ve absolutely no idea why your FB post went missing.

All I know is that TN and FB have completely different ideas about rules and moderation, so they are two completely different animals.

Here on TN, I can be clear that we wouldn’t have the slightest issue with you writing that you’d passed your ADR course and are looking for a job that uses your new skill.

Now speaking from an entirely personal point of view, … I can’t say anything credible one way or the other about FB because I have never had an FB account.

Wife even said I should join FB…

After reading some of the drivel people post…■■?

Er, no…

Goldfinger:
Wife even said I should join FB…

After reading some of the drivel people post…■■?

Er, no…

It’s exactly the same scenario here mate, cos my partner let me see her FB so now I can say that I’ve seen the drivel too.

TBH, she wrote a lot of it, and she’s put lots of ‘likes’ to other people’s drivel too. :open_mouth: