UBER

Isn’t it time the authorities took a serious look at the wisdom of allowing “any old driver” to drive around our capital city with questionable credentials? :imp:

Don’t be silly, that doesn’t fit with the come one, come all leftie attitude in the uk :unamused:

Uber drivers still need to hold a Private Hire Vehicle Driver’s licence issued by the local council which is similar to obtaining a provisional HGV drivers licence, medical, background checks etc.

Its not just our capital city, UBER is in every major town and capital across europe…at least in the uk they have to go through a vetting process including a CRB check. the vehicles are tested every 6 months, and must not be more than a certain age. Dont know about UBER if they have these checks or not, but i believe that all taxi /minicab drivers have to undergo certain checks.

They’re checked the same as any other cab driver…

Harry Monk:
Uber drivers still need to hold a Private Hire Vehicle Driver’s licence issued by the local council which is similar to obtaining a provisional HGV drivers licence, medical, background checks etc.

This, you can’t just jump in a car and work for Uber, they need a private hire licence like any taxi driver

Über also said if thier drivers would be forced to take an English Language test they would lose thousands of drivers says it all really.

Daytrunker:
Über also said if thier drivers would be forced to take an English Language test they would lose thousands of drivers says it all really.

A non-English-speaking minicab driver only needs to learn the answer to two questions…

“Are you busy tonight?”, and

“Is this your own car?”

And…whats that ticking noise?

But don’t ask to go to Alans snackbar (seen on another thread :slight_smile: )

Beats me how anyone can go and work in another country without a good grasp of the language, specially customer facing work which is what cab driving is.
I wouldn’t even consider moving to say Italy, and expect to get by without learning the lingo first.

a good way to pass a quiet night might be…lets play spot the pink uber driver,

this is a vital addition to anyone thinking of starting a career with uber northern ireland

youtube.com/watch?v=yoNNi6NuKbU

GORDON 50:
Beats me how anyone can go and work in another country without a good grasp of the language, specially customer facing work which is what cab driving is.
I wouldn’t even consider moving to say Italy, and expect to get by without learning the lingo first.

^
This
Learnt Spanish and French over the years and now fluent but your’d be amazed how many (for instance) move out here and expect the Spanish to understand them, some have lived out here years and still havent got past Hola and Adios :unamused:

It’s another thing all the lefties love is uber…
In my home town all the taxi drivers held a protest over uber,

Won’t be much longer before Uber moves into road haulage…

yorkshire terrier:

‘The lefties love Uber’ :smiley:

Harry Monk:
Won’t be much longer before Uber moves into road haulage…

New Stobarts venture? They ruin every other mode of transport lol

switchlogic:

yorkshire terrier:

‘The lefties love Uber’ :smiley:

Yup. Living up to the lorry driver stereotype, that one.

:laughing:

yorkshire terrier:

good.

I’ve had plenty of taxi/black cab drivers that are complete tossers, yet every uber driver has been brilliant.

I even recall a time I left my phone in one and all it took was a call to uber head office who then forwarded a message to the driver who dropped my phone off at the club I was in 30mins later. No chance of that in a black cab/taxi, they’d be long gone.

Too true,AndrewG.I know folk in Spain who have lived here over 10 years and can’t ask for a cafe con leche.They only drink in British bars and won’t eat any foreign muck.Iceland Supermarket prospers selling Brit stuff at eye watering prices.Yet there are plenty of contributors to this forum complaining that foreigners should learn English.They should make an effort but so should we on the other side of the channel.