Old A55 crash dashcam footage released

Taken from a tweet posted by LBC

LBC @lbc:
This earned the truck driver six points and a £300 fine. It also left a family in hospital with serious injuries: http://l-bc.co/O4UpIt

This happened in Oct 2016 but it seems the police has only released the dashcam footage. (Well that’s my understanding anyway)

So my question to you guys (and girls) is, was this the correct punishment or was it lenient?

CSI need a link please.

Personally after watching that footage I’d say he got off lightly. He clearly wasn’t paying attention to the road and only reacted at the last second.

Also shows the importance of getting out of a broken down vehicle. Why anyone would stay sat in a car in that position is beyond me.

Trukkertone:
CSI need a link please.

Link is in the quote but here is the link again http://l-bc.co/O4UpIt

Hammy747:
Personally after watching that footage I’d say he got off lightly. He clearly wasn’t paying attention to the road and only reacted at the last second.

Also shows the importance of getting out of a broken down vehicle. Why anyone would stay sat in a car in that position is beyond me.

Hammy I completely agree and that was my thought he got off lightly.

Keep On Trucking:

Trukkertone:
CSI need a link please.

Link is in the quote but here is the link again http://l-bc.co/O4UpIt

ah, thanks , it didnt show up on my computermebob earlier , but it does now,

Considering you get 3 points for going 34mph in a 30 this guy has virtually been let off Scot free!!

I’d say it looked like he really wasn’t watching the road and possibly another phone or ipod was involved. The car easy to see for a good few seconds before he reach it. Yet another one of the punishment not fitting the crime in my opinion!

we all make mistakes,but he had plenty of time to see the car and to slow down ready to pull out,he done neither by the look of it so as the police say wasn’t paying attention.

Should have lost his licence for about three years and a nice big fine to go with it. An example needs to be made of these pricks.

Why isn’t there more pressure being brought to bear on the death trap that is “breaking down in a live lane”?

Managed Motorways are even worse of course - because an establishment decision has been made to “not bother widening the carriageway with a new hard shoulder to save money”.

I’d be terrified if I broke down in a car, with only seconds to bail out of the vehicle before I get smacked up the arse by the artic following. It’s a clear and present danger when there’s no hard shoulder!

This A55 road over rolling terrain as it appears in the footage - should be a two-lane with a hard shoulder. :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

There is some very old TV footage of an American traffic police man stopping a car driver .
The cop says stand to the safe side of the road in case you get hit .
Seconds later, the video in the police car films a truck smashing in to the stopped car.
Told you so, he says to the lady .

The driver has indeed got off very lightly. If this has been on flat terrain, or god forbid, going downhill I think it would have turned out very differently. We don’t know how long the car had been broken down, but as has been said, I would never sit in a broken down car that was in effect, in the live lane.

When the police have got such strong evidence as the HGV drivers dashcam, then I feel a stronger sentence would be more appropriate.

madmackem:
The driver has indeed got off very lightly. If this has been on flat terrain, or god forbid, going downhill I think it would have turned out very differently. We don’t know how long the car had been broken down, but as has been said, I would never sit in a broken down car that was in effect, in the live lane.

When the police have got such strong evidence as the HGV drivers dashcam, then I feel a stronger sentence would be more appropriate.

What’s wrong here… It’s all very well to place 100% of the blame on an errant driver BUT the faceless nasties at town hall who refused to spend money putting a safe verge at very least on this road - should at least be named and shamed in these cases?

If Lawyers thought they could make a few quid out of the suits on this - I’m sure they’d be on it like a shot.

Winseer:
Why isn’t there more pressure being brought to bear on the death trap that is “breaking down in a live lane”?

Managed Motorways are even worse of course - because an establishment decision has been made to “not bother widening the carriageway with a new hard shoulder to save money”.

I’d be terrified if I broke down in a car, with only seconds to bail out of the vehicle before I get smacked up the arse by the artic following. It’s a clear and present danger when there’s no hard shoulder!

This A55 road over rolling terrain as it appears in the footage - should be a two-lane with a hard shoulder. :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

I agree, one of the worst examples of “live lane, instant death” is on the elevated section of the M6 between the M5 and the M42, there is absolutely no gap between the crash barrier and the huge concrete wall in places, you are a sitting duck if you break down there, unless you want to stand on the crash barrier with your back to the wall and pray.