Do you want a test drive?

Heading up or down the M40 on April 6th (9 a.m. until around 6 p.m.)?
Jacobs Vehicle Systems, the people behind the Jake Brake, are launching a new High Power Density engine brake, and they want to hear what you think of it – at Beaconsfield Services (M40 Junction 2). For the driver, the HPD brake offers double the braking power at cruise speeds and avoids downshifting during retarding – why not try it during a short road route of the Chiltern hills section of the motorway. Read more at jacobsdrivesthefuture.com/. There’ll be Jacobs goodies and refreshments on offer so it could be worth a detour if you’re passing. Oh and you might get your mug in a future issue of Commercial Motor magazine. Spread the word!

Sounds like what the americans call a Jake brake…if theyre fitted to the prop shaft, theyre a great feature, similar to a Retarder on coaches. If they save the operator money on worn brake pads/shoes, then worth the money, but as its an added extra, they may be reluctant to pay the extra to have it fitted…like the Americans who would rather run their engines on cheap fuel 24/7 than buy a night heater !! all in all, it really depends on the price, and i`m certain many operators would be interested.

Does one have to have a digi card to try ?

Punchy Dan:

:smiley: fold a tacho card in to quaters and slide in digi slot works for me :sunglasses:

wirksworth rod:

Punchy Dan:

:smiley: fold a tacho card in to quaters and slide in digi slot works for me :sunglasses:

It was a serious question Rod , I don’t have one and don’t need one yet , just wondering if a test drive was exempt ? Although I wouldn’t be leaving my lorry on break during the test drive :blush: :laughing:

Sorry to be an anorak and veer off topic!
A Jacobs Engine brake or ‘Jake’ brake does not attach to the prop shaft!
The Jacobs brake works by basically using oil pressure to compress the exhaust valve(s) earlier than normal, thereby venting the exhaust gases long before they become depressed enough to blow the pistons back down.
(4 Stroke cycle, 1- ■■■■, 2- squeeze, 3- bang, 4- blow *)
This then causes a huge vacuum and the engine effectively tries to stop dead, as the wheels and momentum are turning over/driving the engine there is a huge retarding force - that’s why the exhausts ‘crackle’ when a Jake brake is used -
Hope this explains…
Paul

I leave mine on auto all day on my ism11 although it’s not as good as on the 14 litre I have ,I wouldn’t mind trying this re invention they have but it looks like I’ll be in Buckie on the 6th :neutral_face: