Liquid fertiliser

Been given the opportunity to jump onto this job for a few weeks (never done it before) has anyone got any info/tips on this?? Have you done it? Did you like it??

Cheers in advance

Not done it myself, but a workmate did it the other year. Obviously seasonal, so for a few weeks youre on max hours, with good pay (depending on company). Farmers want the stuff, so not a 9 to 5 job at all. Access to farms can be awkward, but that makes it more interesting for some. If youre going into a drop for the first time do it in daylight. Maybe ok to do it in the dark, after you`ve sussed the job out.

Spoke to one lad who really slated the job, then turned around and said “i enjoy it” hopefully I’ll like it! Always on and off farms with a bulker so hopefully I’ll be ok… :neutral_face:

Think the biggest challenge I’ll face up to now is the way the load moves?? Dont know what to expect in the regards of that!

I did do food tankers for a while, and some of the loads were only 18000litres for 24tons in a 24000 litre tank with no baffles. That will teach you to drive smoothly, with lots of anticipation, take roundabouts very slowly and generally ■■■■■ foot it. Plus always use the handbrake on the road, and treat every start as an uphill one. With the load slopping about on a weighbridge you may struggle to get a reading, so then releasing the handbrake will enable the truck to move tonfro and you`ll get a printout.

Franglais:
I did do food tankers for a while, and some of the loads were only 18000litres for 24tons in a 24000 litre tank with no baffles. That will teach you to drive smoothly, with lots of anticipation, take roundabouts very slowly and generally ■■■■■ foot it. Plus always use the handbrake on the road, and treat every start as an uphill one. With the load slopping about on a weighbridge you may struggle to get a reading, so then releasing the handbrake will enable the truck to move tonfro and you`ll get a printout.

Spot on, thanks for the heads up

Is that collecting all the fertiliser from here? :slight_smile:

TiredAndEmotional:
Is that collecting all the fertiliser from here? :slight_smile:

Might need an Amoco Cadiz size tanker for that!

Maybe invest in some O/S landranger or Explorer maps…

1, for the exact Farm name and address. I never ever used a sat nav for farm deliveries etc.

And 2, not all fert tanks are on the farm premises…

Some of our farmer friends ons are out and about on their land…

Eg…

Anyone seen the one on the road side, next to a layby up the A1 past Alnwick…?

Always ring the farmer and ask the best way.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

That’s IF he’s got a phone AND signal…

‘Been there - done that’… :blush:

yt03:

Franglais:

Spot on, thanks for the heads up

Good advice I agree with all of that.

Been a good week, did a few days following another guy around and then went at it on my own… must say Google earth comes in handy to locate the tanks!