Rear steer axle, first time driving advise!

So on Saturday I just found out I have the rear steer trailer. I have never driven one before, so any advise please would be much appreciated. Obviously driving forward it cuts in less ect, how about reversing, I am guessing more reactive ? Or do I lock the axle before reversing , if so how ? Many thanks.

If it’s tri-axe trailer rear steers I can only offer you my experience driving the non hydraulics ones in 2003 on 45 ft curtainsiders. I can’t see them having changed. If you’re talking low loader true rear steers then that’s a separate subject :laughing:

Some use a little trailing link set up that simply follows the turns. Driving forward you won’t notice much if any difference, the trailer will cut in just as before, pivot point is only slightly forward of the middle axle. They’re mainly good for tyre wear.

For reversing you don’t want to be reversing with them free to “steer”, usually the rear steer thing is disabled automatically when selecting reverse. The way (it used to anyway) it works is nothing more than a big pin dropping into a hole to lock the rear steering. The trick was when dog legging to back onto a bay, make sure you allow a few feet of straight trailer running to align the rear wheels. This is to make sure the hole lines up with the pin. You don’t need to over egg it, and when you back up and see the rears moving about just go forwards a bit and try again. It’s nothing to stress over.

Also with “rear steers”, always check the trailer suspension is set to ride height (pull out the air raise lever to the interlock). If you drive down the road with the suspension lowered you’ll get away with it on a normal trailer but a trailing link will fishtail. As I discovered at Christian Salvesen on my first week of driving artics :laughing:

Edit:- changed in light of new info :smiley:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145523
Was the first thread not good enough :smiley:

You can tell what kind of rear steer it is by looking around the kingpin. If it’s like any other trailer, it will be as Freight Dog mentioned, and you need to lock them out before reversing, usually you’ll find the button near/next to the park/shunt buttons. Same as with them, it’s usually pull to lock it and push to release.

If there’s what looks like a long tubular mechanism starting just behind the kingpin, then the rear steer will be permanently and solely dependent on the angle between the unit and trailer. You can’t lock out this type of rear steer, and it’s designed to be active whilst reversing also. You tend to find these on the smaller 10 metre trailers often used in supermarket work where they need to reverse and operate in tight urban spaces.

Just drive and learn by feel. It’ll take no more than 10 or so corners to figure it out. The biggest noticeable difference is you don’t have to allow for trailer cut in so much, i.e. you can afford to steer a little more towards the kerb as you might do in a van, for example. And situations where normally you’d look in your mirror and see the trailer wheels scuffing/riding the kerb, you’re pleasantly surprised to see them a lovely 12 inches away :sunglasses:

Haha Casper I read it don’t worry I just wanted more then one opinion. I think I’m just worrying over nothing I am sure Ile be fine. The trailers a double axle rear steer and shorter then the 45ft normal trailer. I don’t think you can mock out the rear steer on this one as I spoke to someone that’s driven it and he said you don’t lock the rear steer off. I only have one drop anyway so it can’t be that bad right ?! Lol

If you have an "active’ steering rear axle, there are a few issues to be aware of.
The rear axle will steer when you move, and will generally cut in more, and will follow a tighter line round when reversing. The trailer end will also keep turning in much more than an fixed rear axle trailer. Be aware of this when reversing into a space between/next to another truck or wall.
The axle will be steered either by two solid bars, or via hydraulics. Both can be damaged by making too tight a u turn.

When you hook up the trailer, check that the trailer wheels are straight, and hook up in a straight line. Likewise, drop the trailer off with the trailer wheels in a straight line. If you (or another driver )don’t, you can force the steering axle out of alignment, causing the trailer to crab in forward, and be an absolute pig to reverse.

Javiatrix:
You can tell what kind of rear steer it is by looking around the kingpin. If it’s like any other trailer, it will be as Freight Dog mentioned, and you need to lock them out before reversing, usually you’ll find the button near/next to the park/shunt buttons. Same as with them, it’s usually pull to lock it and push to release.

If there’s what looks like a long tubular mechanism starting just behind the kingpin, then the rear steer will be permanently and solely dependent on the angle between the unit and trailer. You can’t lock out this type of rear steer, and it’s designed to be active whilst reversing also. You tend to find these on the smaller 10 metre trailers often used in supermarket work where they need to reverse and operate in tight urban spaces.

Just drive and learn by feel. It’ll take no more than 10 or so corners to figure it out. The biggest noticeable difference is you don’t have to allow for trailer cut in so much, i.e. you can afford to steer a little more towards the kerb as you might do in a van, for example. And situations where normally you’d look in your mirror and see the trailer wheels scuffing/riding the kerb, you’re pleasantly surprised to see them a lovely 12 inches away :sunglasses:

Blimey, every day is a school day. Didn’t know about these bar ones :laughing: . I’ve edited my post as it’s misleading and suggested there was only one type, which clearly is crap as there isn’t :blush: :smiley:

Ours are 33ft active steer,as said they can turn too tight if your not carefull,but places you can get easier than a rigid,daft thing to watch out for rear axle sticks out from the trailer when reversing,you can see down the trailer but don’t forget wheels are wider.

Thanks for the advice guys, it was bloody lovely to drive and I was just
Over thinking it. Reversing wise it was just very re active, absolutely amazing where you can get the trailer. The two reverses I had to make were absolutely disgustingly tight I wouldn’t even dream of putting a rigid down there so pretty impressed with how I did today. Ile see if I’m so lucky in two weeks time again! :slight_smile:

ash 001:
Over thinking it. Reversing wise it was just very re active, absolutely amazing where you can get the trailer. The two reverses I had to make were absolutely disgustingly tight I wouldn’t even dream of putting a rigid down there so pretty impressed with how I did today. Ile see if I’m so lucky in two weeks time again! :slight_smile:

I’ll pop down there and ask the builders to move their hording out a little more for you mate! :grimacing:
It’s clearly too easy if you didn’t hit anything… :laughing:

ash 001:

You’re welcome. It makes a nice change for a poster who asks for advice, to come back afterwards to say thanks, and let people know how it went. :smiley:

the nodding donkey:

ash 001:

You’re welcome. It makes a nice change for a poster who asks for advice, to come back afterwards to say thanks, and let people know how it went. :smiley:

Well it was special for him, he drives a VAN all week! :smiley:

They couldn’t make it any smaller if they tried and you know it Evil, you have seen the pictures lol!! I appreciate the advise that’s why and I know people would like to know how I got on and the fact I didn’t hit anything lol

ash 001:
They couldn’t make it any smaller if they tried and you know it Evil, you have seen the pictures lol!! I appreciate the advise that’s why and I know people would like to know how I got on and the fact I didn’t hit anything lol

Sounds like you had a good day,also use it to judge other drops,look at them then think there’s more room than the first time and you know how it reverses,rear steers are a god send couldn’t do some of ours without them.
Good to see positive feedback on help aswell thanks

ash 001:

You did well not to hit anything considering you were blindsiding it around a narrow tight 90 degree bend mate, but are you sure you don’t have anything else you’d like to report back on? :stuck_out_tongue:

Evil8Beezle:

ash 001:

You did well not to hit anything considering you were blindsiding it around a narrow tight 90 degree bend mate, but are you sure you don’t have anything else you’d like to report back on? :stuck_out_tongue:

Spill the beans. … :grimacing:

Sorry I have only just made it back on to the forums! Its hard work working full time and getting on here as well! Evil is a ■■■■ stirring limping little ■■■■■■ lol :grimacing: . What he wants me to add is the fact that I shunted so many times on the blindside that the air on the trailer got very low. For some reason the unit didn’t warn me, so when I eventually reversed on to the bay I turned the engine off thinking nothing of it. I realise I am actually a little too close to the bay so go to pull it forward but because the air is so low it stalls itself in gear!!! So basically I am now stranded and cant pull forward, well that’s not until breakdown came along to donate some air to me! :unamused: While waiting for breakdown I decided I was going to handball the delivery off so the store didn’t have to wait for the delivery. I go to unlock the encrypta (security lock) with the key from the store and it doesn’t open, its actually jammed so now I have to cut the bloody wire just to get in the back of my trailer!!! When I got back to the yard and drop the trailer I find out the unit is actually faulty, with no trailer connected it still wouldn’t fill its air tanks more then three quarters so I am blaming the unit not my lack of experience or stupidity. :grimacing: