Hgv driver killed in immingham

Anyone have any more info regarding this story?

m.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/probe-l … story.html

Was a subby for ntex happened at imm tspt
Driver jumped the pin but continued to couple not realising put the airlines on first trailer came forward crushing him between the cab and the trl was there around 2 hours. before he was found apparently there was only a 10 inch gap between the trl and unit that should have been enough to make him think something wasn’t quite right
Sad accident that could of been avoided

DRIVER2:
Driver jumped the pin but continued to couple not realising put the airlines on first trailer came forward crushing him between the cab and the trl was there around 2 hours. before he was found apparently there was only a 10 inch gap between the trl and unit that should have been enough to make him think something wasn’t quite right

Nasty .

DRIVER2:

If there was a 10" gap how did he get in there in the first place and surely the trailer brake would have been on .

bald bloke:

DRIVER2:

If there was a 10" gap how did he get in there in the first place and surely the trailer brake would have been on .

If the trailer brake wasnt on and he’d missed the pin it would only take a small decline once the red line was connected for the trailer to move forward…

Poor lad, if this is the case hopefully some people can learn from this tragic event. I’ll hold my hands up I made a mistake before and how I didn’t end up brown bread I’ll never know!

Condolences to the guys family

Dry sad news RIP driver :cry:

Blimey 2 hours, poor bloke.

I’ve been in there a few times picking up and dropping trailers. I ain’t been driving class 1 that long, but in the 6 months or so I’ve never come across a trailer that’s had it’s trailer brakes on, when I was training where I work now I was told not to bother with trailer brakes.

So how do u avoid this, every time you couple/uncouple stick the trailer brake on?

Has he not put his suspension up when he reversed under, that how he’s missed the pin?

Yeah, EVERY time put the trailer brake on!! If anyone tells you not to or you don’t have to at this place then ignore them! You will not get a license without putting trailer brake on when coupling and uncoupling so don’t stop after you have it!! The reason is to prevent accidents. RIP driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trailer brake on first job when uncoupling and last job to take off when coupling.

Very sad to hear this, rip to the driver,
First thing you should do when coupling up is a tug test to make sure the pins locked in, if you’re happy with that, get out and check the trailer brake is on before attempting to connect the susies, I always put my dog clip in before I check the trailer brake, we all have a certain routine when coupling and uncoupling, but whatever you do, make sure the pins locked in and the trailer brake is on before you climb onto that catwalk.
Stay safe fellas.

Some trailers get dropped high for a number of different reasons, uneven ground, mid lift up, suspension up etc.

When I learnt to drive class 1’s, I was taught to ALWAYS check the trailer brake is ON before hooking up to it. And then to ALWAYS put the dog clip in, even if I was just moving the trailer around the yard with the shunt button.

These two golden rules are there for a reason. Some drivers for some bizarre reason also choose to use their ’ own method ’ of connecting up, God knows why? I know of one driver who was too bone idle to ever put a trailer brake on. I asked him why not one day, and he said that the brake should be next to the winding handle, and if it isn’t then it’s bad design and he can’t be arsed :open_mouth:

A very sad and avoidable death this one.

AndrewG:

bald bloke:

DRIVER2:

If the trailer brake wasnt on and he’d missed the pin it would only take a small decline once the red line was connected for the trailer to move forward…

Don’t understand why he didn’t pull the red line off guess it was a heat of a moment thing. R.I.P drive

Davhat:
First thing you should do when coupling up is a tug test to make sure the pins locked in, if you’re happy with that, get out and check the trailer brake is on before attempting to connect the susies, I always put my dog clip in before I check the trailer brake, we all have a certain routine when coupling and uncoupling, but whatever you do, make sure the pins locked in and the trailer brake is on before you climb onto that catwalk.
Stay safe fellas.

& also quite a few units don’t have dog clips so it’s best to get under the trailer with your torch and have a butcher’s at the pin.

SouthEastCashew:

Davhat:
Stay safe fellas.

& also quite a few units don’t have dog clips so it’s best to get under the trailer with your torch and have a butcher’s at the pin.

SHOULD BE DEFECTED IMMEDIATELY AND NOT TAKEN OUT WITH NO DOG CLIP :unamused:

eagerbeaver:

SouthEastCashew:

Davhat:
Stay safe fellas.

SHOULD BE DEFECTED IMMEDIATELY AND NOT TAKEN OUT WITH NO DOG CLIP :unamused:

some have an " L " shaped locking device on a wire. Locked :sunglasses:

Very tragic avoidable incident. I’ve thought for a few year that it can’t be beyond the wit of man to make the park brake apply automaticaly when the red line is reieased, but that it can be only released manually after the red line has been connected.

My thoughts are with the driver’s family and friends, rip driver.

The trailers don’t have the trailer brake on because it’s a Ro-Ro terminal. They actively ask you not to use them. It’s written in big letters at Dockside.

Radar19:
The trailers don’t have the trailer brake on because it’s a Ro-Ro terminal. They actively ask you not to use them. It’s written in big letters at Dockside.

Get a photo of that sign cos I’ll hazard a guess it might be disappearing soon.

They have basically made a rule that goes against one of the main safety rules of hooking up.

I can understand why from their point of view but I wouldn’t like to have to be stood explaining why “my site rules” overrule a prime safety guideline, which has been mentioned is an instant fail should you not follow when obtaining the license.

kjw21:

Radar19:

Get a photo of that sign cos I’ll hazard a guess it might be disappearing soon.

I didn’t know it was on their site but Immingham Transport sub for everyone here so must treat yard like Ro-Ro terminal. Our yard is like that. We don’t use Trailer brakes.