45hr Weekly rest, not to be taken in cab

Clarification just issued regarding taking a 45hr weekly rest in the cab, commercialmotor.com/news/com … rest-rules

Wonder how the EE’s will manage with this now clarified ?

Regards
Dave Penn;

Will probably be buying all their drivers a tent to pitch on the grass verge.

It’s a great idea…

But how can they possibly enforce it?

Warberer’s would be out of business within a week.

i’ve forwarded the link to their email addy

Glad we are getting out of the EU because that is not a common sense ruling

Driver we are prosecuting you for having too much rest … :exclamation:

ROG:

They will be…

Prosecuting the company.

There is another link from the origional item.

commercialmotor.com/news/fre … rest-rules

ROG:

Eastern European drivers I have spoken to almost universally hate having to work away from home for 11+ months a year but few have much choice. If the practice was discouraged then this could only be better for them as well as opening up western European work to western European firms. I can’t see this happening though, Waberers etc will quickly find a way around it.

And at over £21,000 it’s a proper fine too, that’s probably a years wage for some EE drivers.

bald bloke:
And at over £21,000 it’s a proper fine too, that’s probably a years wage for some EE drivers.

Problems start when one country (belgium) will fine the driver for this offence, and france will prosecute the company, which is a fine example why the eu is screwed up.

ROG:

But are two men in a daf 85 or one or those cabs De Rooy uses getting a proper break? I’d say not. Here we have the Eu trying to raise standards and get a more equal playing field, they are trying to stop the ‘race to the bottom’. Seems the Eu is damned by some if they do nowt or if they try to improve things.

I would suggest it’s yet another tightening of the nut to stop Eastern European
We’ve got them enforcing the minimum wage rule and you must have an agent in France to operate.
By forcing the rates of wage up and now this they’re making it harder to operate on their patch.

In a way you have to admire them they’re using EU directives to close their borders to outside haulage undercutting them.

ROG:

It will probably just reduce tramping in favour of more Euro trunking operations to take best advantage of the reduced weekly rest facility.In which case at best it’ll probably just mean more jobs for west euro based east euro drivers in that case.While probably not making much,if any,difference regards UK work.

Franglais:
Here we have the Eu trying to raise standards and get a more equal playing field, they are trying to stop the ‘race to the bottom’. Seems the Eu is damned by some if they do nowt or if they try to improve things.

If the EU was all about ‘raising standards’ it would obviously get rid of the single labour and transport markets.This idea will probably just mean more west euro based,east euro drivers,while doing nothing to solve the real problem.

Franglais:

ROG:

But are two men in a daf 85 or one or those cabs De Rooy uses getting a proper break? I’d say not. Here we have the Eu trying to raise standards and get a more equal playing field, they are trying to stop the ‘race to the bottom’. Seems the Eu is damned by some if they do nowt or if they try to improve things.

Agreed, They’ve been after drivers doing this in Belgium and France for a few years, after pressure from their unions and trade bodies.
One of the things they worried about was social dumping, some of these drivers aren’t just having a 45hour weekly rest then heading home,
but waiting for days, sat on some industrial estate without basic facilities, bad enough for one night let alone a couple of days, hardly the way workers in supposedly advanced civilised societies should be treated.

Soldier z:
I would suggest it’s yet another tightening of the nut to stop Eastern European
We’ve got them enforcing the minimum wage rule and you must have an agent in France to operate.
By forcing the rates of wage up and now this they’re making it harder to operate on their patch.

In a way you have to admire them they’re using EU directives to close their borders to outside haulage undercutting them.

France and Germany are trying to enforce the minimum wage for any drivers delivering or collecting goods in thier country, but this is being opposed by some EE Countries with backing from the EU.
But one thing that has come out of this is that those on Cabotage seem to entitled to the minimum wage of the country they’re operating in.

See paragraph 9.
https://www.rha.uk.net/getmedia/b45e361b-bfe4-44ef-ac2c-85ac454ea6ba/161206-Cabotage-Min-Wage-web-Policy-fin_1.pdf.aspx

But the truth is all this shows the mess of a situation when you try and allow free movement of goods and labour across Countries with such a massive difference in average and minimum rates of pay. Great for multi-national organisations who can move factories or bring labour from poorer economies to reduce wage costsnot so good for the working class.

As true today as it was then.

In a study of the struggle waged by the British working class in 1867, Karl Marx reveals that in order to oppose their workers, the employers either bring in workers from abroad or else transfer manufacture to countries where there is a cheap labour force.

“in their cabs” whats to stop 2 trucks parking up and the drivers swapping units to have a 45hr break in each others unit? IM not being funny , its all in the way its worded.

JIMBO47:
“in their cabs” whats to stop 2 trucks parking up and the drivers swapping units to have a 45hr break in each others unit? IM not being funny , its all in the way its worded.

I see what you’re getting at…

But, if the driver is on his own he can’t swap with anyone else. If another driver said to me ‘I’m gonna kip in your motor tonight’ the answer would be no.

JIMBO47:

Article says “The European Transport Workers’ Federation (ETF), which lobbied for the law regarding weekly rest to be clarified by the EU, has called for future working time regulations to specify the conditions that operators should provide for their drivers to take their 45-hour weekly rest, such as a hotel with individual sanitary facilities and access to hot meals” and the final eight words would cover that, although I imagine Waberers etc would just build bunkhouses in places where they tend to congregate their trucks, Calais for example.

About ■■■■■■■ time. :grimacing:

How the devil do you enforce something like this? Not far from me is a layby that plays host to our friends from the continent having their 45. Are the police going to move these fellas to a nearby hotel?

Harry Monk:

ROG:

Eastern European drivers I have spoken to almost universally hate having to work away from home for 11+ months a year but few have much choice. If the practice was discouraged then this could only be better for them as well as opening up western European work to western European firms. I can’t see this happening though, Waberers etc will quickly find a way around it.

I think it’s a good idea and can’t believe there’s drivers in this country saying it’s stupid.
It’s one way of putting up an obstacle towards eastern euro firms under cutting firms.
I doubt there are many British firms doing work that takes them out of the uk for more than a fortnight now.
The music tour firms are about the only ones and they often put drivers in hotels anyway