HELP !

Been in work since 04.50, Scania had a Totally Flat Battery, no lights, ignition or even Tacho, still waiting for the shunter to try & jump start her [emoji57]

Does anyone know if there’s a Main Fuse or Switch that might have been thrown or if it goes below a certain voltage, does it just switch off completely ?

Sounds like it’s totally flat. Be careful taking it out as it might be faulty battery leaving you stuck again.

Battery isolation switch doesn’t usually cut off tacho so unlikely to be that. I hope no one has actually nicked your batteries!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

With everything being flat it is possibly a blown starter motor, when the starter motor goes it causes a power surge which blows the batteries. Usually even with flat batteries there is still enough for the tacho to stay on

Cheers Fellas, got it sorted, jumped it off a Tug, hooked it up, gave it a few minutes & she fired up.
I couldn’t understand why it was Dead, nothing, nada ! It was as if the cable had come off or a switch had been pulled. [emoji57]

martinviking:
Cheers Fellas, got it sorted, jumped it off a Tug, hooked it up, gave it a few minutes & she fired up.
I couldn’t understand why it was Dead, nothing, nada ! It was as if the cable had come off or a switch had been pulled. [emoji57]

You didn’t have your hair tongs plugged in then mate? :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

martinviking:

You didn’t have your hair tongs plugged in then mate? :smiley:

Arrr, my secrets out Beezy !

It will just be crappy batteries, mine went the same last week.
It wouldn’t even take a jump start.
I was lucky, we have a factors as part of our company so I just tootled up the yard to stores got a couple of nice new batteries on the forks of a flt and changed them. Saved a few hundred quid not calling scania out :wink:

Drift:
I was lucky, we have a factors as part of our company so I just tootled up the yard to stores got a couple of nice new batteries on the forks of a flt and changed them. Saved a few hundred quid not calling scania out :wink:

The tractor is only a year old, so much for all this automatic cut out technology after 2 minutes, we switch off every time we stop, so we save 10p worth of juice but knacker £500 batteries & probably a few turbo’s on the way. Lol.

Exactly so. Lack of joined up thinking. Spendng pounds to save a penny.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

martinviking:

Drift:

The tractor is only a year old, so much for all this automatic cut out technology after 2 minutes, we switch off every time we stop, so we save 10p worth of juice but knacker £500 batteries & probably a few turbo’s on the way. Lol.

We have the same regime; never let it idle. If I start work on a Monday morning, check the unit, move it a foot to properly check the tyres, find and pick up my trailer, repeat checks on it, fuel the trailer up, do whatever else needs doing and finally stop at security on the way out I can possibly have stopped and started the engine 8 times before I finally get on the road!

I’m sure that I’ve saved 40 pence of fuel on the way, but come winter when the entire fleet has knackered batteries and require call outs to start them I’m not convinced that the savings make financial sense tbh.

the maoster:
We have the same regime; never let it idle. If I start work on a Monday morning, check the unit, move it a foot to properly check the tyres, find and pick up my trailer, repeat checks on it, fuel the trailer up, do whatever else needs doing and finally stop at security on the way out I can possibly have stopped and started the engine 8 times before I finally get on the road!

I’m sure that I’ve saved 40 pence of fuel on the way, but come winter when the entire fleet has knackered batteries and require call outs to start them I’m not convinced that the savings make financial sense tbh.

We are told in our handbook to give it 10 minutes to warm up while we are doing our checks and a couple of minutes at the end of the day. But then we only run 5 trucks so its hardly the end of the world fuel wise.

Before anyone bleats about waking others up in the morning, we don’t do nights out and this all takes place in our yards…

If there is other trucks knocking about use your abs cables as this works!

tango boy:
If there is other trucks knocking about use your abs cables as this works!

I’ve heard that Tango, but I don’t think my lot will allow this.
I started uncovering the battery/step, connected the leads & asked a long serving driver for a Jump, but he refused stating that he hadn’t been Trained & we were leaving ourselves wide open if anything happened, so I waited for the Shunter.

Hey Ho, another hour added to my 48 average & hopefully another day off at the end of the period to spend in the new Motorhome. [emoji106]