Self driving trucks

How far away are these? Will we be out of a job in about 20 years? :confused:

A decade before theyā€™re in, another decade before theyā€™ve completely taken over as it requires changes to be made to every collection and delivery point to accommodate them.

gooddriver:

Question for you. Do your automatic windscreen wipers do a good job or do you have to manually override them?

Now, expand that out to driving on our overcrowded, often closed, not fit for purpose roads.

What do you think?

gooddriver:

I guess a very different job with only local work - all long distance will be gone in 20 years, lorries will drive themselves up and down the motorway network.

over 155 million autonomous miles covered in the USA with only 1 fatality (1 every 90million miles is the average) so even at the testing stage it is already performing better than humans.

Robotics will take over most things, Employment in the future will revolve around caring, folk will spend their careers wiping old peoples bottoms until they themselves become old and need their own bottoms wiped by the next generation. The future is bleak, we have seen the best of it.

Bluey Circles:

gooddriver:

I guess a very different job with only local work - all long distance will be gone in 20 years, lorries will drive themselves up and down the motorway network.

over 155 million autonomous miles covered in the USA with only 1 fatality (1 every 90million miles is the average) so even at the testing stage it is already performing better than humans.

Robotics will take over most things, Employment in the future will revolve around caring, folk will spend their careers wiping old peoples bottoms until they themselves become old and need their own bottoms wiped by the next generation. The future is bleak, we have seen the best of it.

Iā€™m sure somewhere in Silicon valley, some poor sap is working on a bottom wiping robot as I type (interesting research though, ā€œitā€™s going too hard, ITā€™S GOING TOO DEEP, TURN IT OFF!!!ā€). In fact, humanity as a whole will be turned against itself as 20 individuals apply for 1 bottom wiping job, never mind lorry driving.

In all seriousness, Iā€™m sure some type of human will be needed for a least part of the journey for several decades to come. If youā€™re about 40 now, you might just scrape throughā€¦and then find yourself at the mercy of an automated bottom wiper.

I think we will see the first autonomous trucks on UK roads within five years.

Harry Monk:

They are here already, all the manufacturers are testing them live on the motorway network in Europe as we speak. The UK was a bit late to the party as the laws on liability had to be adjusted, they now are so expect to see self driving trucks here probably this year.

Harry Monk:

Just some examples of the first stages:

eutruckplatooning.com/default.aspx

scania.com/group/en/scania- ā€¦ k-platoon/

youtube.com/watch?v=lx9EFJ6qgZc&sns=tw

youtube.com/watch?v=fHibsfiIrhk

wheelnutt:

Harry Monk:

They are here already, all the manufacturers are testing them live on the motorway network in Europe as we speak. The UK was a bit late to the party as the laws on liability had to be adjusted, they now are so expect to see self driving trucks here probably this year.

I understand the bill will be put before parliament in early march, and as the gov is very keen to wave this through I think we will have all seen a fully autonomous vehicle before this year is out.

It will be interesting to see how society will react when an innocent (not those within the car) is killed or seriously injured. We seem strangely acceptant of killing each other through crap driving (probably 400 killed + 4000 seriously injured so far this year). But I doubt we will accept one from an autonomous vehicle.

I did work with an Agency guy over a year ago who claimed he had driven a German truck that had features like self drive. He also claimed he went sleep while it drived.

Tbh I laughed at him but he was very adamant.

Trucks and cars will always need humans in them imo.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Captain Caveman 76:

gooddriver:

Question for you. Do your automatic windscreen wipers do a good job or do you have to manually override them?

Now, expand that out to driving on our overcrowded, often closed, not fit for purpose roads.

What do you think?

I think a bit like you i suspect.
Weā€™ll have years of research and meaningless experiments, kerching, those alone will keep soon to be out of work global warming advocate scientific types in lucrative non jobs for another 4 decades, kerching.
Weā€™ll have a few in house test rigs at selected companies, helpfully subsidised, by us, and directors of which will feature in the future kings cronies honours list, kerching kerching.
Those companies who get drawn in will have tax incentives, no doubt the flavour of the year yellow peril fleet will feature heavily, kerching.
Lots of glowing in depth ā€˜reportingā€™ by the daily globe telling us all how wonderful it is, especially if Lucifer Blair the poison dwarf endorses itā€¦thatā€™ll be Ā£4.3m consulting fee alone, kerching.

Few years down the line, these unbelievably complicated machines will be breaking down all over the place, the road network will grind to a halt as recovery blokes work round the clock to fetch the things in, mechanics with matchsticks propping their eyes open will be sat at PC screens desperately trying to work out what the hellā€™s wrong with the heap this time, shops will run short of food and civil disorder will follow sure as night follows day, theyā€™ll be sending fighter jets to ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  ships (laden with old hat lorries requiring wheel attendants en route to Africa) back to Blighty, and there will be a genuine driver shortage as they try to sort the whole catastrophe out.

Normal service will resume, Nigel Farage and Presidents Trump and Putin will be blamed, as told in all honesty :unamused: by the Grauniad BBC and Chanel no4, kerching.

Bollockks, I was hoping for a few ā€˜itā€™ll never happenā€™ replies, im 31 so looks like im ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  and out of work by 50 will ave to start learning to wipe bums

gooddriver:
Bollockks, I was hoping for a few ā€˜itā€™ll never happenā€™ replies, im 31 so looks like im [zb] and out of work by 50 will ave to start learning to wipe bums

Theyā€™re not spending billions of pounds on it just to give themselves something to do on a slow Tuesday afternoon. :wink:

gooddriver:
Bollockks, I was hoping for a few ā€˜itā€™ll never happenā€™ replies, im 31 so looks like im [zb] and out of work by 50 will ave to start learning to wipe bums

itā€™ll never happen in your life time! :laughing: ā– ā– ā–  wipe. :grimacing:

ITs not going top happen anytime soonā€¦too many crowded roadsā€¦idiots who cannot drive now, let alone with a driverless 44 tonner behind or at the side of themā€¦i wonder if they have thought about the weather ā€¦can driverless trucks put on snow chainsā€¦get out of a jacknifeā€¦forsee a front wheel blow outā€¦NO didnt think soā€¦

Harry Monk:

gooddriver:

Theyā€™re not spending billions of pounds on it just to give themselves something to do on a slow Tuesday afternoon. :wink:

Because ALL research is worthwhile!

entrepreneur.com/article/275060

ā€œThereā€™s a simple trick to determine liberals from conservatives.
Phew, someoneā€™s figured this out. It seems that itā€™s all just in the words. Conservatives like to use nouns more than liberals. For example, they would tend to call people ā€œoptimistsā€ instead of ā€œoptimisticā€ or an ā€œidealistā€ instead of ā€œidealistic.ā€ The findings, published in the Journal of Political Psychology, were consistent across the three countries, looking at speeches in three different languages. The study found, for example, that George W. Bush (a conservative) used more nouns in his speech than his liberal counterparts. Of course, most of those nouns only contained three or four letters, but stillā€¦ā€

Number 3 is a cracker!!! :smiley:

Donā€™t forget, the government dishes out cash to organisations for their studies. Not so long ago, renewable energies were flavour of the month. Now itā€™s driverless vehicles.

Captain Caveman 76:

Harry Monk:

gooddriver:

Because ALL research is worthwhile!

entrepreneur.com/article/275060

ā€œThereā€™s a simple trick to determine liberals from conservatives.
Phew, someoneā€™s figured this out. It seems that itā€™s all just in the words. Conservatives like to use nouns more than liberals. For example, they would tend to call people ā€œoptimistsā€ instead of ā€œoptimisticā€ or an ā€œidealistā€ instead of ā€œidealistic.ā€ The findings, published in the Journal of Political Psychology, were consistent across the three countries, looking at speeches in three different languages. The study found, for example, that George W. Bush (a conservative) used more nouns in his speech than his liberal counterparts. Of course, most of those nouns only contained three or four letters, but stillā€¦ā€

Number 3 is a cracker!!! :smiley:

Donā€™t forget, the government dishes out cash to organisations for their studies. Not so long ago, renewable energies were flavour of the month. Now itā€™s driverless vehicles.

A quick tally on google [other search engines available] and between the manufacturers and the tech companies 16 Billion has been invested so far, we are not talking about government research grants here.

These manufacturers are not investing that kind of money if it is just a pipe dream or if it takes them 10 years to get a return on their investments, their shareholders and the banks would be up in arms.

wheelnutt:
A quick tally on google [other search engines available] and between the manufacturers and the tech companies 16 Billion has been invested so far, we are not talking about government research grants here.

These manufacturers are not investing that kind of money if it is just a pipe dream or if it takes them 10 years to get a return on their investments, their shareholders and the banks would be up in arms.

Tens of billions of dollars have been spent over decades on cancer research. Whilst there have been fantastic improvements, a ā€œcure for cancerā€ is still, sadly, a long way off.

Investing in research is a long term strategy. Every player in the game knows this, and although theyā€™ll admit small successes, theyā€™ll never admit to the barriers theyā€™ve still to overcome. Especially if itā€™s commercially sensitive.

truckyboy:
ITs not going top happen anytime soonā€¦too many crowded roadsā€¦idiots who cannot drive now, let alone with a driverless 44 tonner behind or at the side of themā€¦i wonder if they have thought about the weather ā€¦can driverless trucks put on snow chainsā€¦get out of a jacknifeā€¦forsee a front wheel blow outā€¦NO didnt think soā€¦

Just a couple of personal viewsā€¦

Once all vehicles are autonomous the roads would be far less congested. Vehicles will be able to travel safely at speed keeping far less linear separation. Eventually I imagine traffic lights will become redundant, but imagining we still had them, every vehicle waiting would be able to move off together the moment they turned green.

I also think the idea of personal car ownership would die out when an autonomous car could be summoned within minutes removing the need to keep a stationary car outside oneā€™s home unused for 160+ hours a week.

In 30 years including four years regularly driving to Russia in Winter, Iā€™ve never once put on snow chains, and although I have had a steer axle blowout at speed, I didnā€™t foresee that, and apart from a big ā€œbang!ā€ nothing actually happened to the course of the truck, which was just as well as it happened halfway across the Severn Bridge.

The technology is coming, and will develop very quickly. It seems only five minutes ago that a telephone was something that sat on the hall table with a curly wire and a dial that you rotated with your finger. Had someone said that in 30 years time youā€™d be putting it in your pocket taking photos with it, and asking it how much an elephant weighed or where the nearest Weatherspoons was youā€™d think they were barking mad.

Well said Harryā€¦but i still dont think its gonna happen for many years, thats almost space age technology ? As for the snow chains, many countries insist drivers carry them, and use them where necessary, i had my fair share when i was on middle east workā€¦just cos you never used them, doesnt mean theyre not needed. I mentioned chains, when someone said in an earlier comment that america is trialing the driverless truckā€¦and i am watching at the moment, a canadian wreckers program Highway Thru Hell about a company rescuing and surviving on the money earnt just from one area which is treacherous in the winter months, where everyone is told to chain upā€¦so what when a truck comes along with no chainsā€¦oh hang onā€¦let that one goā€¦its driverlessā€¦ the same can be said for the front wheel blow outā€¦i too have experienced one of those, and had to grab the wheel till i did a controlled stopā€¦can a driverless one do that ?..i`ve also seen the carnage it can do when it happens.
i know technology can be fittedā€¦obviouslyā€¦but a driverless vehicle cannot control like a real driverā€¦but ā€¦who knowsā€¦its the future of things to come but not yetā€¦they dont go hand in hand in my opinionā€¦but wish i could be around to see itā€¦the future looks brilliant.a new beginning eh !