Strapping of blocks on a flat

Those in the brick and block trade, how would you go about strapping a load of 21 pallets of blocks ?

I have been given a instruction memo from our contractor but I’m not happy to do it that way myself. Hopefully I’ve uploaded a photo of said load for reference.

I know people are going to say shouldn’t be on that trailer but until/if I run my own company, I’ll have to do as I’m told within reason.

Cheers

You need edge boards and a net minimum for that .

Done blocks many a time and more so when on Keedwells.

nick2008:

Well i see a keedwells on the m4 this morning with same sort of load…Not a net or edge boards in sighte.Just spansets…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

nick2008:

Thanks, that’s along the lines of what I was thinking

keedwell drivers issued with nets edge boards and use spacers between the two sets of blocks to stop them collapsing inwards

mattecube:
keedwell drivers issued with nets edge boards and use spacers between the two sets of blocks to stop them collapsing inwards

Well the one i see today and the majority of the ones pulling out of Sheerness docks are’nt using them.

It at least needs to start with a drop sider and nets then go from there.
Instead of which we’ve got loads on flats that should be on drop siders and steel coils held on with nylon intstead of chains and an enforcement system that doesn’t seem to have a clue.What could possibly go wrong.

BradCarTransporter:
I have been given a instruction memo from our contractor but I’m not happy to do it that way myself.

If it were me, I’d follow their instructions to the letter and then add the extras that I feel need adding.

If you don’t follow their instructions and it moves, you’ll be in the brown and smelly for not following them.

DadsRetired:

BradCarTransporter:
I have been given a instruction memo from our contractor but I’m not happy to do it that way myself.

If it were me, I’d follow their instructions to the letter and then add the extras that I feel need adding.

If you don’t follow their instructions and it moves, you’ll be in the brown and smelly for not following them.

That’s the problem, there instructions in my eyes aren’t safe. I’ve already got points for a insecure load from listening to my previous employer.

I’d like to see every stack strapped with spacers inbetween and corner protectors that cover the outer face of the load. But maybe I’m too cautious now.

Instructions are to cross strap the front stacks, single the rears and then every 4th inbetween. Plus sheeting where necessary.

BradCarTransporter:

DadsRetired:

BradCarTransporter:

That’s the problem, there instructions in my eyes aren’t safe. I’ve already got points for a insecure load from listening to my previous employer.

I’d like to see every stack strapped with spacers inbetween and corner protectors that cover the outer face of the load. But maybe I’m too cautious now.

Instructions are to cross strap the front stacks, single the rears and then every 4th inbetween. Plus sheeting where necessary.

Containment is the first and foremost requirement because reliance on strapping the bundles/stacks makes load security entirely dependent on the integrity of the banding/wrapping holding the bundles/stacks of bricks/blocks together ( which are at best often unreliable ) .If that banding/wrapping lets go then you’ve got bundles of loose bricks/blocks collapsing and going everywhere separately with the straps no longer having anything to hold nor probably will a sheet hold a collapsed stack/bundle of bricks/blocks.While as you’ve already seen if you lose any of the load then the driver pays the price.It’s time drivers stood together and said if it’s the wrong tools for the job ( in this case a flat ) then the load is going no where.

Corner boards and straps pal will be ok , a lot of places won’t let you net down now days :unamused:
As they don’t want you climbing on the trailer … :neutral_face: ffs .
We’ve got I think about 16 depots and they are all sodding different with their rules :unamused:

garnib:
Corner boards and straps pal will be ok , a lot of places won’t let you net down now days :unamused:
We’ve got I think about 16 depots and they are all sodding different with their rules :unamused:

Ibstock brick sites now insist on net & every pack strapped , block sites seem to get away with corner boards & a few straps.

mickymidas:

garnib:

Ibstock brick sites now insist on net & every pack strapped , block sites seem to get away with corner boards & a few straps.

The brick side of our company says if brick packs of not bagged they must be netted if not got curtain sides of metal sides but must be strapped as well.
Our blocks have to be strapped … and corner boards .
To be fair I think this should inforce in more not enough is done and som elf the loads don’t go out with enough load restraints on :confused:

daftvader:

mattecube:

Well the one i see today and the majority of the ones pulling out of Sheerness docks are’nt using them.

more fool them then if they as you allege are not using them.

mattecube:

daftvader:

mattecube:

more fool them then if they as you allege are not using them.

Very true…Especially if you are supplied with the equipment to do the job.

Get some corner boards that cover at least two packs and use straps. If you drive properly that’s all you need.

BradCarTransporter:
Those in the brick and block trade, how would you go about strapping a load of 21 pallets of blocks ?

I have been given a instruction memo from our contractor but I’m not happy to do it that way myself. Hopefully I’ve uploaded a photo of said load for reference.

I know people are going to say shouldn’t be on that trailer but until/if I run my own company, I’ll have to do as I’m told within reason.

Cheers

What instructions have you been given?

See above

Just interested to know what the instruction memo actually asks/requires you to do

are you saying that the load in the photo is loaded as per instruction memo, PLEASE SAY IT,S NOT,

The instructions are

cross strap the front stacks, single the rears and then every 4th inbetween. Plus sheeting where necessary.

That picture is of how the blocks were loaded on the trailer yes