Poll - Is there a driver shortage?

Winseer:
WHAT is it that makes an outwardly crappy-looking job “acceptable” then?

I can’t work out for example why people go for sub-£10ph artic jobs but won’t touch a C2 multidrop @ £12.00+ph “days to start” job - with a bargepole?!

…Especially if the artic job in question is a multi-drop on THAT. :open_mouth:

Imagine an employer offering you something like a “fleetboard” way of working out your pay:-

"Ok guy, our basic hourly rate at this yard is £18ph.
If you don’t want to work Weekends - take off £2ph
If you don’t want to work after 6pm - take off £2ph
If you don’t want nights out - take off £2ph
If you don’t want to do multi-drop - take off £2ph
If you are happy to work for less than £10ph - take off £2ph." :stuck_out_tongue:

So… A fusspot driver with no flexibility whatsoever - is only ever going to see £8ph jobs, and that’s all there will be in sight, ever. :wink:

I suggest there is a clear shortage of flexible drivers then, because those prepared to do those items I’ve listed above - can easily command the higher rates, PAYE at that. :exclamation:

I’d guess that you’re confusing local multi drop with relatively longer distance bulk work.The two being as different as chalk and cheese with the latter fitting the definition of more of a ‘driving’ job for anyone who’s idea of the job is ‘driving’.It’s no secret or mystery in that case as to why most ‘drivers’ would choose the bulk job over the local/multi drop one at any price.The two types of job possibly having no connection with Class 1 or 2 or being mutually exclusive with neither in either case.IE I’d prefer to take an £8 per hour class 2 or class 1 distance bulk job over class 2 or even class 1 local/multi drop at any price.The only difference being that it’s more likely that distance bulk will be found on ‘class 1’,than class 2 ( more like class 3 ).

On that note it’s obvious that your chart puts too much emphasis on shift start finish time/day flexibility and not enough on type of work.

However the difference between local/multi drop v distance bulk deliveries/collections for example is something else with that difference not being sorted by wages.In that a job which in most cases involves far more driving than loading/unloading,in addition to ideally driving to interesting scenic different parts of the country or even other countries,is first and foremost why most drivers do the job and which no amount of money would compensate for.On that note I’d doubt if you’d get many complaints regarding a late or early start and/or nights out to do a distance full load or couple of bulk collections/ drops run.But you can keep the commute and urban/local/multi drop job at any wage let alone two quid extra per hour. :bulb: