I'm stuck! Trailer wont move. Waiting for fitter

Yep just what everyone wants on a Saturday afternoon. My trailer comes off the ferry so I hook her up and think lets get this ■■■■■ back and finished, but it won’t move [DISAPPOINTED FACE].
I can hear alot of air leaking from the wheel area but with it being a DD a cant get under it to have a look. Tried building air pressure up for a good half hr but its coming out faster than its going in.
So had to call the fitter out and waiting on Birkenhead docks.

FFS, what do you want me to do about it, you are paid by the hour, ■■■■ it up buttercup .
Breakdown makes you more Kerching.

Time and a quarter today so makes it abit sweeter. Trouble is my little lad has been in and out of hospital today with bronchitis so would have liked to have been with him.
Still waiting 4 hrs later!..

I feel your pain. Oh well gotta go to fridge, beer can empty.
:smiley:

you want me to feel sorry for you… I’m a Birmingham city fan :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

I think you have an air leak. I might be wrong though.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

you should be hoping they send a skinny dwarf of a fitter who has a hobby of limbo dancing…not a lot of room getting under there.

Do you have any tools with you/good with the spanners? Could be just a chamber leaking, theyre easy to block off as a get you home if the fitters still not with you…

m.a.n rules:
you want me to feel sorry for you… I’m a Birmingham city fan :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

PMSL :laughing: :laughing:

hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…risk assesment…h&s induction course,ppe gear,…20 cones round about the trailer,and itl go on and on and on…or…do nothing,get paid by the hour,and twiddle your thumbs and cost your company about £1000…perish the thought 5 mins with 1 or 2 mole grips would be tolerated in most of the bigger companies now.

m.a.n rules:

Don’t know what’s worse? Being a blue nose or admitting it lol,

dieseldog999:
hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…risk assesment…h&s induction course,ppe gear,…20 cones round about the trailer,and itl go on and on and on…or…do nothing,get paid by the hour,and twiddle your thumbs and cost your company about £1000…perish the thought 5 mins with 1 or 2 mole grips would be tolerated in most of the bigger companies now.

Getting some of our old tilts mobile is a regular occurance for me, the bodgit kit comes in handy, tape, molies. spanners, sockets and above all the big sledge hammer :grimacing:

Just got home so got a nice 15hrs in when today was just an extra shift to my normal 5 day week.
AndrewG was correct. The DD was fully loaded and when the tug slapped under it and raised it a brake chamber had snapped on the chasis. He was indeed a skinny fitter I couldn’t believe the gap he had to get under, no more than a foot. He was only in his early twenties too, fair play to him.

Was going to say cap it off or just wind the bugger off. Usually works for a quick fix, but questionable on the legality side but all the Irish trucks up at our services seem to love getting tugged by vosa for it :wink:

How do you cap it off?

Nate187:
How do you cap it off?

Different ways of doing it:
Crimp plastic airline (the one to leaking chamber ONLY) with mole-ies if a slow leak.
Cut air line and double it over, tie up with a plastic zip tie.
Unscrew airline from chamber, insert 1 euro coin and screw it up again. This requires a few extra minutes but is “invisible” and so is deniable.
On all the above methods you will have NO braking to that wheel.
None are recommended by me, but are only what I`ve been told about in various bars and coffee shops.

Nate187:
How do you cap it off?

You do what is called caging the chamber, a cage bolt will be with each chamber to wind it off, you’ll usually need a 19mm spanner to do it. Pressure hoses can be clamped without damage but plastic ones will have to be replaced once you get it back to the workshop. To clamp a hose i keep two small pieces of flat wood used with mole grips to minimise damage. As Franglais mentions you obviously lose braking to that wheel but with a tri axle the braking loss is minimal and as long as you take it easy its a good get you home fix without having to wait hours at the roadside…

A euro? Sounds like you been to alot of foreign bars/ coffee shops Franglais.
Cheers lads I’ll try winding it off next time but if its a DD again theres no way im getting under there I’d freak out.

Just to avoid misunderstanding, winding the brake chamber off is not going to stop the air leak, you are just wasting your time.

It is not a good idea to go underneath a trailer which has an air leak, the suspension can come down really quite quickly and squash you. There is also the chance that the chamber is badly corroded or damaged and will just suddenly let go releasing the spring and killing you.

cav551:
Just to avoid misunderstanding, winding the brake chamber off is not going to stop the air leak, you are just wasting your time.

It is not a good idea to go underneath a trailer which has an air leak, the suspension can come down really quite quickly and squash you. There is also the chance that the chamber is badly corroded or damaged and will just suddenly let go releasing the spring and killing you.

If a chamber was that corroded it wouldnt have passed its last test, of all the ones ive blocked off over the years ive never seen one that rusty it would fall apart.
Re air suspension scenario, the brakes are on a seperate circuit…