British Made Lorries

From a manufacturing point of view what do me make regarding lorries in the UK. Off the top of my head do we just make the small DAFs in Lancashire ?
Do we make any other wagons or parts of trucks / trailers / engines / gearboxes ?

Arent the small DAF’s CKD? I thought they were just assembled in the UK, might be wrong though…

This might help:

bfy.tw/AA4Q

Sorry I meant…

daf.com/en/about-daf/daf-worldwide#
Leyland Trucks (a PACCAR company) produces the company’s LF series of light and medium duty trucks, as well as CF and XF vehicles.

You’ll need to differentiate assembly of imported components from domestic manufacturing.But it’s probably fair to say that we became far less of a domestic manufacturer long ago.In addition to the grey area of locally produced US engine and driveline components in which it’s not clear as to the level of actual domestic forge to finished product production but probably more than anything produced now in that regard.While,with the exception of Rolls Royce,our domestic engine and drive line technology at least having got left behind by the foreign US and Euro competition by the 1970’s at least if not earlier.Largely as a result of lack of investment and an open under protected market.

And not forgetting that we were completely crap at it - deaths nail. I thought RR was/is BMW… but I’ll stand corrected.

Jingle Jon:
And not forgetting that we were completely crap at it - deaths nail. I thought RR was/is BMW… but I’ll stand corrected.

There’s a difference between being crap at making stuff.As opposed to being starved of the cash to needed make it because of geo/political/economic reasons which benefited our competitors. :bulb:

Anyone seen Dafs’ sporting Leyland badges? Seen a couple of XFs, one Euro 6 had the “Daf” part replaced with “Leyland” well placed onto the chrome plate.
I keep meaning to get a Constructor badge for my CF but never find one that’s not being sold for a kings ransom by a mad hoarder.

I used to see a daf 95xf that had the big leyland letters like the marathon had under the windscreen.

I presume Dennis are still made here too

Jingle Jon:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Motor_Cars
A complicated dance around 2003, concerning engineering designs, grills, names, badges, but it seems R-R Motors are now part VW. R-R Aerospace are separate again.

kr79:

Sure are , I hope they do well out of these new low level cabs for London , if they did a bigger engine and a more road haulage version I’d sooner buy British.

Punchy Dan:

kr79:

Sure are , I hope they do well out of these new low level cabs for London , if they did a bigger engine and a more road haulage version I’d sooner buy British.

What drivetrains brakes etc do Dennis use? Not made in house are they?
Also worth noting the Leyland cabs are made by Renault in France.

Franglais:

Punchy Dan:

kr79:

What drivetrains brakes etc do Dennis use? Not made in house are they?
Also worth noting the Leyland cabs are made by Renault in France.

They used to use ■■■■■■■ engines but now use Volvo drivetrains.

Punchy Dan:

kr79:

+1. Not pretty but they’re practical. Cross cab access with plenty of room for tools would make a great truck for firms like I work for. Tridem for Oxfords’ streets and narrow Cotswold lanes with cyclist appeasing vision, can’t be bad.
With a good designer a sleeper cab would be quite spacious too.

kr79:

it would appear Dennis is owned by the Spanish giant Terberg Ros Roca - now there is a familiar name !

Carryfast:
You’ll need to differentiate assembly of imported components from domestic manufacturing.But it’s probably fair to say that we became far less of a domestic manufacturer long ago.In addition to the grey area of locally produced US engine and driveline components in which it’s not clear as to the level of actual domestic forge to finished product production but probably more than anything produced now in that regard.While,with the exception of Rolls Royce,our domestic engine and drive line technology at least having got left behind by the foreign US and Euro competition by the 1970’s at least if not earlier.Largely as a result of lack of investment and an open under protected market.

Good to see you back CF :smiley:

Agreed modern manufacture is a very complex picture with components and parts of said components being source at a global level. On top of which company ownership can paint an even more complex picture (Volvo is Chinese and Scania German) . So my question in the opening post was what significance at a manufacturing level do we contribute in the UK to the haulage industry?

Looks like we are a significant player in DAF even though it is a American company sourcing many major components from overseas. And Dennis sort of rolls of a production line here in the UK. So I think we can claim those two - any others ?

Do we manufacturer any lorry engines or boxes chassis ?, and what about trailers / axles. ?

We still have good old JCB. No actually we have good old JCBs. Thank god because the new ones fall apart, 4 in 1 lever fell to bits on ours on Wednesday. Luckily the clam was in the shut position, Muckaway so hates handball jobs. :laughing:

Carryfast:
You’ll need to differentiate assembly of imported components from domestic manufacturing.

Vehicle manufacturing throughout the World involves component assembly form many different Countries and many companies.
There are loads of companies in the UK making parts for vehicle manufactures across Europe and the opposite is also true.

The big problem with British Manufacturing and Business in general is that so much has been sold to large global corporations in the name of the free market and it’s easy to get rid of UK workers and move plants to some low wage country. As we’ll no doubt see if PSA buys GM’s European operation. The French Government have a stake in their car production and it’s not so easy to close a German factory, so who does that leave for streamlining?

And we have Kraft Heinz going after Unilever, is really good for the workers, consumers and national governments for one company to have so much control over so many of the everyday products we buy?

But it’s all fine. Once we’re free from Europe, we can trade freely with the rest of the world.

the nodding donkey:
But it’s all fine. Once we’re free from Europe, we can trade freely with the rest of the world.

Freely. . . . .plus 20%? under World Trade Organisation rules. . . .oh, Gawd, where is this thread going. . .