British Made Lorries

Franglais:

Bluey Circles:

Franglais:

Bluey Circles:
just looking at Scanias figures for 2015. 47,000 units sold, 7000 of which were to the UK - 15% of their sales within the Europe. They won’t be letting their government damage that sort of business with retaliatory tariffs. The UK is a massive economy.

I can see what you mean, but how much damage would it really do to them? All other heavy trucks would be taxed to the same level. Their market share would remain constant wouldnt it? Its not as if UK hauliers are going to buy Leyland T45s. The overall UK market might diminish as hauliers hold on to vehicles longer. What would be too great a price for the Eu to pay in order to keep the other members on board? A UK haulage industry paying more for its trucks, so increasing its costs, is gonna be good news and mean expansion for those buying cheaper kit, surely? Less Scanias sold in the UK, more sold in the Eu?
Lack of UK buyers for German etc cars is maybe more of issue for them, maybe.

I don’t think any of these big players would be willing to tolerate even small percentage losses in the guise of political expediency. Guess they will have very persuasive lobbiests to stop restrictive tariffs to their markets.

With a full-on free trade deal with the USA we would have to open up our markets fully to theirs, and they would not tolerate daft EU type rules to hinder them, and they would be very interested in getting a foot in the door, American cars & trucks, not a pleasant thought but along with genetically modified food and growth hormone rich meat, in any ‘true’ free trade deal, Trump will insist on full access to our markets.

Im sure youre correct that the Eu motor and other manufacturers are working hard to make their feelings known. I wonder how much they will be listened to tho?
Free Trade with the US and a President who repeatedly talks about bringing jobs into America is not gonna bode well for anyone. I dont think G.M. food is the horror some believe it to be, but can see your point of us being forced to swallow (literally) bleach cleaned, hormone and antibiotic enriched meat produce. US vehicles are not the most economic or best built, so having them imported at zero tax cost, against Eu produce with a tax wont do our competitiveness much good methinks. And if we ARE in a free trade zone with the US you can bet that the US will put big taxes on Eu goods, and that WILL apply to us. We wont be semi detached from any NAFTA zone deal any more than we can be from a Eu zone deal. And your phrase of "Trump will insist on full access" is bringing a truly horrendous image into my minds eye. :open_mouth:

I’m not one of those who believe the EU need to trade with us more than we need to trade with them, but for most of the most leading EU countries we are in the top 5 of their export markets and the UK is a huge market for German car industry, from all the data I’ve read and not in Pro Brexit media we are by far the largest market for German cars, that coupled with a possible reduction in capacity and jobs with a buyout of GM Europe by PSA and the recent problem at VW, I think they’ll lobby hard for a deal. On the otherside we export more cars to the EU (not many more) than we Import from Germany,

However the EU establishment feels under-threat from a rise in the Populist movement across the EU, and this threat could get worse if some of the Elections in the EU either return a populist leader or at the very least gives the populist movement more power in national governments, pushing the agenda away from more integration and even towards leaving the Eurozone or the EU. So the establishment will be pushing to show that leaving the EU isn’t an option anybody else should consider.

As for free trade deals with the US, it scares me as well, after leaving the EU and avoiding TTIP and all the extra power that gave global corporations over elected Governments, it would be a bizarre to give it away on some rushed trade deal to prove a point.