Is there a skill shortage in HGV drivers?

Hi people,

I’m currently completing my university dissertation on ‘UK HGV driver skill shortages’

I am urgently requiring feedback from my survey which will contribute to the success of my research and my degree!

If I could ask you to spend, 5-10 minutes just to complete my survey, It would be much appreciated!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/HGVSkillShortage

Thank you!

Oh my Gawd … it’s not dissertation season again is it? :unamused:

peirre:
Oh my Gawd … it’s not dissertation season again is it? :unamused:

Unfortunatly LOL, :grimacing:

What driver shortage pal? :open_mouth:

Products are still getting to the shelves and wages are stagnant, so there is no shortage.

The only shortage is truth from the industry bosses that they have created this illusion to keep wages suppressed.

As such I don’t think your survey is fit for purpose, as it assumes there is a shortage…

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144282

Question 13 could do with another option.

Pay more/ better working conditions :unamused:

Poor chap is headed for a career in human remains so I see they’ve got to him early with the way of thinking “no anything but pay more and better hours, anything!” :laughing:

ATsimpson:
Hi people,

I’m currently completing my university dissertation on ‘UK HGV driver skill shortages’

I am urgently requiring feedback from my survey which will contribute to the success of my research and my degree!

If I could ask you to spend, 5-10 minutes just to complete my survey, It would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

In your survey you seem to be saying that there is a shortage why?

I can tell you one thing about LGV driver skills.

The standards of their driving is appalling in a lot of cases.

We need to eradicate bad driving before anything else.

There is certiny a shortage of decent drivers.

ROG:

ATsimpson:
Hi people,

Thank you!

Because there is a UK HGV skill shortage, an ageing workforce with lack of new entrants, I’m solely looking into strategies that can overcome this such as apprenticeships etc,

The FTA have stated there is a skill shortage within HGV industry, maybe I’ve come to the wrong place for help.

fta.co.uk/media_and_campaign … rtage.html

Sorry,

Uncle Albie:
I can tell you one thing about LGV driver skills.

The standards of their driving is appalling in a lot of cases.

We need to eradicate bad driving before anything else.

There is certiny a shortage of decent drivers.

To make it more clear, the title of the dissertation piece is not yet set in stone, but yes, clearly there is a lack of experienced HGV drivers

Or maybe there is a divide between HGV drivers and transport, logistics and HR managers?

If so I would love to hear your views, remember, I am impartial,

Cheers guys and gals,

James the cat:
Question 13 could do with another option.

Pay more/ better working conditions :unamused:

Poor chap is headed for a career in human remains so I see they’ve got to him early with the way of thinking “no anything but pay more and better hours, anything!” :laughing:

Please refer to Q.14, It’s interesting you mention this, as from the HR and Transport managers who have undertaken the survey, higher remuneration and benefits package was in the top 3 of all respondents.

ATsimpson:

ROG:

ATsimpson:
Hi people,

Thank you!

Because there is a UK HGV skill shortage, an ageing workforce with lack of new entrants, I’m solely looking into strategies that can overcome this such as apprenticeships etc,

The FTA have stated there is a skill shortage within HGV industry, maybe I’ve come to the wrong place for help.

Sorry,

Don’t apologise dude. Ask away, just expect robust information. An open door on here that subject, you’ve waded into the beer saloon clutching an appetiser.

James the cat:

ATsimpson:

ROG:

ATsimpson:
Hi people,

Thank you!

Sorry,

Don’t apologise dude. Ask away, just expect robust information. An open door on here that subject, you’ve waded into the beer saloon clutching an appetiser.

Cheers James, Ill put my J20 down :laughing:

ATsimpson:

ROG:

ATsimpson:
Hi people,

Thank you!

Sorry,

The FTA have it wrong - it is as simple as that

If there was a LGV driver shortage then newbies would be snapped up by companies the moment they passed and the job ADs would be mainly by companies and not agencies - those are the FACTS not my opinion

ATsimpson:

Sorry,

And who exactly are the FTA mate, and who do they represent? :wink:

Freight Transport Association (FTA) is one of the UK’s largest trade associations and represents the transport interests of companies moving goods by road, rail, sea and air.

It’s this simple, make the job more appealing and there wouldn’t be any concerns about a future potential shortage. Keep paying ■■■■ wages and treating drivers like crap, and yes at some point there will be a shortage. The truth of the matter is that people like the FTA don’t want the basic rules of capitalism to function, so are crying like babies and wanting the government to sort out the crap they have caused by attempting to make the job NMW… :imp:

ROG:
Driver Shortage - What happened? T&D wants your views! - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

OP - did you read that thread :question:

ROG:

ROG:
Driver Shortage - What happened? T&D wants your views! - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

OP - did you read that thread :question:

and when you’ve read that one try this one too
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144748

Interesting how precise the wording of the title of the thread.
OP maybe recognises the difference between a skill shortage and a qualified persons shortage.

If you want to pass with top marks then probably repeating the ■■■■■■■■ the FTA, RHA and govt stooges talk about this subject would be best.

However if you want to tell the truth in your piece, the subject is intricate and goes back many years, we haven’t suddenly been treated like something you trod on in the street overnight, we’ve been society’s pariahs for generations, but working class people are used to that.

ATsimpson:

A couple of points for you.

1. There is no such shortage of drivers. If there was, there would not be jobs driving a lorry advertised as paying not a great deal more than minimum wage; and there would also be yards across the country full of trucks with nobody to drive them. There would also be media hysterics about empty shelves/no petrol/all the rest of it.

2. Do not under any circumstances believe ANYTHING that the FTA says. It is a trade body that solely has the interest of its members (hauliers in this case) at heart, and is well known for peddling this ■■■■■■■■ about driver shortages because a fair proportion of the industry’s penny pinchers (of which there are many) think that they are entitled to public money to train drivers for their commercial enterprises. And of course, no government is going to be hoodwinked into coughing up unless it thinks that there is a critical shortage of staff, is it?

It is a little presumptuous of you to come on here and tell drivers that they work in an industry that is short of manpower when they know a lot better than you that it simply is not the case.

Olog Hai:

ATsimpson:

A couple of points for you.

1. There is no such shortage of drivers. If there was, there would not be jobs driving a lorry advertised as paying not a great deal more than minimum wage; and there would also be yards across the country full of trucks with nobody to drive them. There would also be media hysterics about empty shelves/no petrol/all the rest of it.

2. Do not under any circumstances believe ANYTHING that the FTA says. It is a trade body that solely has the interest of its members (hauliers in this case) at heart, and is well known for peddling this ■■■■■■■■ about driver shortages because a fair proportion of the industry’s penny pinchers (of which there are many) think that they are entitled to public money to train drivers for their commercial enterprises. And of course, no government is going to be hoodwinked into coughing up unless it thinks that there is a critical shortage of staff, is it?

It is a little presumptuous of you to come on here and tell drivers that they work in an industry that is short of manpower when they know a lot better than you that it simply is not the case.

Excellent post

ATsimpson:

ROG:

ATsimpson:
Hi people,

Thank you!

Sorry,

There is a shortage and you have come to the wrong place. Quite a lot of the people here feel threatened by anyone with and education… act out like the chavs they are instead of helping you get on in life.

I’ll do your survey over the weekend.

Best of look with your research.

Jon