WTF ?

Why do they need an apprenticeship in throwing parcels over fences

Yodel

Parcel Driver Training Programme

Job description

Here at Yodel, we’re about to launch our brand new Parcel Driver Training Programme –and you could be one of the first people to benefit from it.

Join our programme and you’ll be employed as a driver on a 12-week fixed-term contract. You’ll have access to full training and on-the-job development, and we’ll even provide you with a vehicle.

Working full time, on a 50 hour per week contract, you’ll be part of our nationwide delivery network, delivering parcels to homes and businesses in your local area. It’ll be your job to get to customers on time, and make sure the parcels you deliver are in perfect condition. You’ll be paid a full-time wage with opportunities for overtime.

After the 12 weeks are up, you’ll be a confident, fully accomplished parcel delivery driver. And you’ll be welcome to apply for a delivery driver job at Yodel – employed or self-employed– with your foot already in the door.

Every career starts somewhere. Start yours.

No 12 weeks of slave labour

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprenticeships are great for the Govt, it keep unemployed kids off dole money. They are great for firms too, they have access to cheap labour and a chance to keep what the ones they want. And for some kids they are good because in this country there is no longer a load of low entry jobs…We all know where they went. So kids can have a hope of getting on the ladder at least to gain some experience.

I can remember when apprenticeship meant something decent, now you can be an apprentice anything.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

"Even provide you with a vehicle " we’ll mr cheap tat company how else are you supposed to lose and break people’s parcels?
Sounds like they are doing them a favour? Really?

Apprenticeships are a con these days,went to 1 of our shops in Sheffield before christmas talking to 1 of the staff who said she’s an apprentice working Saturday and Sunday,and as it was through the job centre was on … £3.20 an hour bloody cheap labour con if there ever was 1,still had responsibility of till work tho she was nearly 18 cost her £8 a day to get to work and back.

Bach home:
Apprenticeships are great for the Govt, it keep unemployed kids off dole money. They are great for firms too, they have access to cheap labour and a chance to keep what the ones they want. And for some kids they are good because in this country there is no longer a load of low entry jobs…We all know where they went. So kids can have a hope of getting on the ladder at least to gain some experience.

I can remember when apprenticeship meant something decent, now you can be an apprentice anything.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I remember a while ago a mate from school was a Warehouse Operative Apprentice, on apprentice wages at 2 quid an hour or whatever.

I was working in a warehouse on £7.50 an hour, doing pretty much the same stuff, from day 1 with training consisting of: stuff in here, stuff store here, stuff out there, canteen up there.

It’s a con for mobs like Yodel to get the same work done with a smaller wage bill.

A.

The advert on Yodels website doesn’t say anything about an apprenticeship, on the job training isn’t necessarily an apprenticeship and as far as I can see this isn’t an apprenticeship and not advertised as such.

Unless there’s another advert that I’ve missed I think the “apprenticeship” part has been added by the OP :wink:

They don’t mention ‘Apprentice’ … in other words, a play on the law and an abuse of it. 12 weeks and then you can do one… convenient that, considering the real law on a company/ agency actually having to give an employee certain rights at 13 weeks:

After 12 weeks in the job you qualify for the same rights as someone employed directly. This is known as ‘equal treatment’.

Your rights include:

‘equal pay’ - the same pay as a permanent colleague doing the same job
automatic pension enrolment
paid annual leave

Source: gov.uk/agency-workers-your- … ncy-worker

tachograph:
The advert on Yodels website doesn’t say anything about an apprenticeship, on the job training isn’t necessarily an apprenticeship and as far as I can see this isn’t an apprenticeship and not advertised as such.

Unless there’s another advert that I’ve missed I think the “apprenticeship” part has been added by the OP :wink:

‘Apprenticeship’ was what i couldnt find either…
Re the vehicle offer, i also think thats if you dont have your own, theres many who use their own car/van rather than pay the extortionate rates they charge if you go self employed renting a van…

AndrewG:

tachograph:

‘Apprenticeship’ was what i couldnt find either…
Re the vehicle offer, i also think thats if you dont have your own, theres many who use their own car/van rather than pay the extortionate rates they charge if you go self employed renting a van

A week or so before Christmas I did some class 2 work for a local company, and you could hardly get the wagon out the yard for loads of people parked all over the place scanning parcels off into the back of their cars to go out on deliveries. I had to do a double take on one woman… I thought it was me mum in a hi viz :grimacing:

It takes a lot of training and NVQs to throw my parcel over the ten foot high fence and into my neighbours chicken pen whilst I was in.

andy_s:
They don’t mention ‘Apprentice’ … in other words, a play on the law and an abuse of it. 12 weeks and then you can do one… convenient that, considering the real law on a company/ agency actually having to give an employee certain rights at 13 weeks:

After 12 weeks in the job you qualify for the same rights as someone employed directly. This is known as ‘equal treatment’.

Your rights include:

paid annual leave

Well I’m very sorry, and whilst you’ve done some sterling work in the 12 weeks you’ve been here, we’re going to have to let you go due to a downturn in volume. :cry:

On the bright side though, we’d love to have you back in the future when demand increases, how does in 6 months sound? :smiley:
So we can start this farcical dance again… :unamused:

"Oh yes please, sign me up for that zero hours contract, which is a contract in name and nothing more. I want to know I’ll have absolutely zero wages in the bank each week/month, I thrive on insecurity! :smiley: I want to feel like I’ve less rights than a normal employee, and love the fear and risk of work being withheld if I don’t jump high enough, it gives me a real buzz. And I don’t want to waste my time discussing what a reasonable request is and isn’t, I want you to bend me over and F me HARD! :stuck_out_tongue: "

It wouldn’t be so bad if they paid a premium rate, but a lot of firms appear to be choosing this as a via option at standard wages…
That’s not my definition of self employed! :imp:

andy_s:

Your rights include:

paid annual leave

May be wrong on this but even if you are in full time employed roles you can still get dropped by your employer within the first 2 years without them having to give much reason as to why??

Be you limper or employed jobs really aren’t that secure at first nowadays and that is probably not going to improve in the future be we in or out or shaking it all about, knees bent arms stretched SACKED SACKED SACKED!

Evil8Beezle:
"Oh yes please, sign me up for that zero hours contract, which is a contract in name and nothing more. I want to know I’ll have absolutely zero wages in the bank each week/month, I thrive on insecurity! :smiley: I want to feel like I’ve less rights than a normal employee, and love the fear and risk of work being withheld if I don’t jump high enough, it gives me a real buzz. And I don’t want to waste my time discussing what is a reasonable request is and isn’t, I want you to bend me over and F me HARD! :stuck_out_tongue: "

Evil8beezle letting a personal fantasy slip out by mistake there :laughing: :sunglasses:

The-Snowman:

Evil8Beezle:
"Oh yes please, sign me up for that zero hours contract, which is a contract in name and nothing more. I want to know I’ll have absolutely zero wages in the bank each week/month, I thrive on insecurity! :smiley: I want to feel like I’ve less rights than a normal employee, and love the fear and risk of work being withheld if I don’t jump high enough, it gives me a real buzz. And I don’t want to waste my time discussing what a reasonable request is and isn’t, I want you to bend me over and F me HARD! :stuck_out_tongue: "

Evil8beezle letting a personal fantasy slip out by mistake there :laughing: :sunglasses:

Fantasy? :open_mouth:
I’ve been a limper for how long now? :laughing:

Some job openings really take the pee, and not only agency… Just seen a company wanting a class 1 wag and drag driver with HIAB for £16500 p/a… that’s about NMW… it does say plenty of overtime though, so you can run yourself ragged to make up a decent wage I suppose lol.

Twelve weeks of below minimum wage employment, with a ‘sorry but you can’t make 300 drops a day’ as the excuse why they give you the bullet :unamused:

Is this a new ‘Zero Hours Contract’ type of scam - sorry - ‘joke’ by employers…?

OVLOV JAY:
Twelve weeks of below minimum wage employment, with a ‘sorry but you can’t make 300 drops a day’ as the excuse why they give you the bullet :unamused:

It doesn’t say how much the “trainee drivers” are paid during their 12 weeks.

Roymondo:

OVLOV JAY:

It doesn’t say how much the “trainee drivers” are paid during their 12 weeks.

Apprenticeships are exempt from nmw. A general rule of thumb says that if the rate isn’t advertised, it’s normally crap

andy_s:
Your rights include:

paid annual leave

And in true fashion like most other EU rules that had a chance to make a real change there is a get out for the agencies. The get out in this case is called the Swedish Derogation of the Agency Workers Regulations which was done to appease the Swedes and get it passed. If the agency say they’ll pay you a minimum amount in a week where there is no work then they don’t have to give equal pay etc after 12 weeks. That minimum amount is one days wage and if they offer you other work and you refuse it then they don’t even have to pay that. In my case that derogation cost me roughly £15000 a year and in the three years I was driving at Howdens the agency only ever had to pay me out once, 8hrs, because there wasn’t any work.