Collecting vehicle from workshop

Hi experienced truckers! Hope all are well. So I’ve only been in the game 10 months and have a question I’m hoping someone can answer.

I drive a 16 plate digi truck daily and had to run it in to workshop for a service and inspection when I asked the office to get the closest driver to drop in and grab me they replied with xxxx lorry is ready there you can run back in that. Said lorry was an analogue vehicle and I didn’t have any analogue discs on me as it’s been 6 months or so since I’ve needed them. I brought this to the attention of the office and they responded with as it’s being returned from workshop I wouldn’t need one and would be fine?

I politely told them no chance! As I wasn’t sure if this was factually correct or them just wanting to get the lorry back to base. Could have a good guess at which one it is! :laughing: any clarity on this matter would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Ryan

The way I see it, you are working and driving a vehicle, so you would need a tacho to record this work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you drive for a living, you need to run a tacho each time you drive on the public highways. As the argument "I’ve only come from the workshop won’t hold any water with VOSA. If you worked at the garage you could probably get away with ‘I am on road test’ as that as far as I remember is tacho exempt.

There are no derrogations from UK rules relating to vehicles under repair, (or having completed said repair,) and no Exemptions to the EU regs except:

Vehicles undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, and new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service.

You are not testing it for development, taking it for repair or driving a vehicle which hasn’t yet seen service so you would need to put a chart in to drive it. I would have thought that on a mixed fleet of Analogue and Digi vehicles the TM would have made sure that all drivers had at least two charts in their kit to cover a situation like this.

powdertank:
As you drive for a living, you need to run a tacho each time you drive on the public highways. As the argument "I’ve only come from the workshop won’t hold any water with VOSA. If you worked at the garage you could probably get away with ‘I am on road test’ as that as far as I remember is tacho exempt.

Is driving during the course of repair card/chart exempt?. It’s DQC exempt within a certain radius of your workshop but I wouldn’t have thought so. But I stand to be corrected. Given that mr/mrs DVSA wants to see a spare tacho roll I always keep some in my rucksack in case I get in a motor without any. Which I have a couple of times.If we ran any analogue tachographs I’d keep a box too. Anyway I think you did right. I can’t see DVSA ever being impressed with a driver not having a card,chart or logbook :question:

No tacho exemption for a regular LGV driver taking or returning a vehicle to the workshop/garage

3 possible alternatives. 1) Acquire an analogue chart from the workshop use it and retain it for 28 days and then hand it in. 2) Do two print outs from the vehicle you delivered and record the return journey activity on the back of both print outs. Retain one for 28 days and hand the other in when your card is next downloaded. 3) Having done no 2 make a manual entry on an analogue chart when you get back to base and retain the chart for 28 days then hand it in.

Not sure what the rule is for analogue cards but I suspect it is the same as for digicards = not issued with it then vehicle cannot be driven

Just get a analog card from the workshop, solved in 30 seconds, no problem at all, no tears.
When are growing men starting to think for their own, and don’t need to be held by the hand on every step?? :smiling_imp:

And you wonder why “drivers” get paid peanuts, they cannot even pee on their own.
Where have we come too??

caledoniandream:
Just get a analog card from the workshop, solved in 30 seconds, no problem at all, no tears.
When are growing men starting to think for their own, and don’t need to be held by the hand on every step?? :smiling_imp:

And you wonder why “drivers” get paid peanuts, they cannot even pee on their own.
Where have we come too??

Doesn’t it usually help for the workshop to be open? :wink: My vehicle was dropped outside for work to be done following day, keys for said vehicle were left safe. Smart a#*

Thanks for the replies guys, just as fully expected.

UselessForce:
Doesn’t it usually help for the workshop to be open? :wink: My vehicle was dropped outside for work to be done following day, keys for said vehicle were left safe. Smart a#*

You never stated this when you made your original post, so please don’t bite those that try to help you with the limited info you’ve given

In the old days I would have just run the truck back and grabbed a disc from the depot and done a manual entry or prolly not bothered.

Or stand on the side of the road thumbing drivers in the hope one had a spare analogue Tacho.

But I’m a bit of a maverick. YOLO

In the unlikely event of a DVSA stop just act daft or leg it.

How far away was your yard, please don’t say 5 bloody minutes… :wink:

peirre:

UselessForce:

You never stated this when you made your original post, so please don’t bite those that try to help you with the limited info you’ve given

Fair enough, but he could also of asked why I hadn’t acquired a card as well before assuming all drivers are beyond stupid.

Dipper it was around 25/30mins on a mixture of roads :slight_smile:

Dipper_Dave:

That’s what I was going to question, if it’s down the road in the next industrial estate just drive the dam thing.

EDIT: 30 mins I would probably not be keen on it, but if this was a Friday afternoon I would be driving in back.

I was an agency driver when digi tachos were coming in, so often had to switch from one to another. Yes some companies handed out two discs (some were even numbered and had to be signed for), but in nearly all cases there would be a box of discs somewhere in the cab. Of course, I had a box in my kit just in case, but rarely needed them.

Since he works in a mixed fleet, I expect the OP will put an envelope with half a dozen discs in it somewhere in his kit, just in case.

mrginge:

Dipper_Dave:

That’s what I was going to question, if it’s down the road in the next industrial estate just drive the dam thing.

EDIT: 30 mins I would probably not be keen on it, but if this was a Friday afternoon I would be driving in back.

Yeah can agree if it was 5mins locally I’d have gone for it, think most would have although doubt many would agree, but not as far as I had to go because however unlikely a stop, it’s always a possibility.

Santa:
I was an agency driver when digi tachos were coming in, so often had to switch from one to another. Yes some companies handed out two discs (some were even numbered and had to be signed for), but in nearly all cases there would be a box of discs somewhere in the cab. Of course, I had a box in my kit just in case, but rarely needed them.

Since he works in a mixed fleet, I expect the OP will put an envelope with half a dozen discs in it somewhere in his kit, just in case.

I did have a search of the cab and all I could find all over the place were used or messed up charts from its regular driver, I did used to keep an envelope with a weeks worth of unused charts along with 3 spare digi rolls but one day a small can of drink burst in my bag :laughing: and soaked the envelope/charts and so they ended up getting binned (ovi still got 3 spare rolls in my kit and 3 in my lorry) and since I’ve had my new lorry and only ever get given digi replacement lorry when mines out of service I’d overlooked getting more spares. It was just this one occasion that I’d needed 1 and screwed myself by forgetting to replace them. :unamused:

You did the right thing IMHO, in these times of hysterical overreactions to minor events one has to be an expert in arse covering.

UselessForce:

caledoniandream:

Where have we come too??

Toys out the pram, arms ripped of the teddy bear, just as fully expected!!!
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!!!

caledoniandream:

UselessForce:

caledoniandream:

Where have we come too??

Toys out the pram, arms ripped of the teddy bear, just as fully expected!!!
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!!!

Not at all, toys all still firmly in pram and teddy bear intact. Obviously we can’t all be as perfectly prepared as yourself sir :laughing:

Dipper quite agree with you there.