General driver shortage

Norfolk is looking…

Some interesting figures quoted in the report, but did anyone really believe DCPC would be £800-900■■?

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/looking_for_a_career_east_anglian_firms_facing_shortage_of_coach_and_lorry_drivers_1_4856607

If there is a shortage just put wages up not change the wording of the discription for the job.

Colin_scottish:
If there is a shortage just put wages up not change the wording of the discription for the job.

Exactly, it’s not rocket science :unamused:

There is no shortage of drivers, but a massive shortage of decent jobs that pay well.

If there was a real general shortage of LGV drivers then those passing the test would be immediately snapped up - that is not happening

Also - the advertised jobs would mainly be by companies not agencies

At least one operator in Norfolk would quite happily employ agency drivers in preference to their own. Obviously some financial benefit to that.

There is a shortage of good quality drivers regardless of pay rates & conditions

SHYTOT:
There is a shortage of good quality drivers regardless of pay rates & conditions

That matches up with the shortage of good quality employers. Quality costs and they’re not willing to pay and they don’t have to with our still open borders.

Close the borders and their will be less foreign drivers… and nobody to tip the load. Lots more Self tip and load coming to little England in 24 months.

Tierd
Is your reply not covered with the PAY & CONDITIONS

realistically what is regarded as fair pay in Yorkshire

The gap between perceived shortages and actual availability of drivers has to be down to the unwillingness of yards to train newbie drivers the way they want them to be.

There’s too much paranoia about drivers “upping sticks and moving on” as soon as such training is finished.

The solution is obvious: The firms prepared and able to train drivers - need to start being the same ones that pay the top dollar for the industry.

Currently we have low payers who train drivers and high payers who’d rather use agency, because they cannot be arsed to train drivers up themselves.

In between? - The “Liar’s Market”. :bulb:

1). Wages for HGV drivers have fallen by around 30% in real terms over the last ten years.

2). There is a shortage of HGV drivers.

This is known as “the juxtaposition of incongruities”. :stuck_out_tongue:

This forum is for the universally challenged Harry. Not university challenge!

Sent via TPN, so it’s either lost, damaged or late…

SHYTOT:

Good friend of mine is TM for Saxon haulage in Norfolk and he’ll be the first to back this up. All he wants is good experienced drivers who can actually drive/ secure a load properly and do the odd minor repair…very difficult to get hold of…

There is no driver shortage.

There is, however a willingness to spend most / if not all week away from your family, sleep in a tin box, and get reamed daily by some planner who hasn’t been ‘out there’ for a day never mind a week.

All this can be yours for just one up-front payment in the region of £3-4 k.

Pay rate: Approx. £10-12 per hour flat rate dependant whether on days or nights, plus night out money if applicable.

Apply now.

There is no driver shortage.

AndrewG:

SHYTOT:

Good friend of mine is TM for Saxon haulage in Norfolk and he’ll be the first to back this up. All he wants is good experienced drivers who can actually drive/ secure a load properly and do the odd minor repair…very difficult to get hold of…

At £7-8 per hour, like the rest of Norfolk, he has a lot of competition. None of the companies advertise their pay rates because they are ashamed to.

And here lies the problem. You pay peanuts you get monkeys. Also how hard will a GOOD driver be prepared to work for £8-9 p/h?.

I think an average basic wage but the opportunity to earn a decent wage with genuine bonuses could be a way forward. Then you will get drivers who will secure a load properly, economically etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JON :slight_smile::
And here lies the problem. You pay peanuts you get monkeys. Also how hard will a GOOD driver be prepared to work for £8-9 p/h?.

I think an average basic wage but the opportunity to earn a decent wage with genuine bonuses could be a way forward. Then you will get drivers who will secure a load properly, economically etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with bonus schemes is that the blue eyed boys get them and the rest get left out. I worked for a firm that had a system but you could lose out due to the planners errors.

No shortage of licence holders at all.

However there is a shortage of blokes who are hygienic, intelligent and contain a spine in their back.

AndrewG:

So in other words he expects the cream of the crop who have done their learning and made their mistakes elsewhere and is not prepared to invest anything to develop his own workforce.

I hope he ends up with nothing but idiots who don’t do as they’re told and damage loads and trucks.