Horse and rider on a main road

Going back to the yard after my shift on Friday and I come across a horse and rider, I was driving round a hairpin and giving it the gas heading up the hill which was on a left hand bend, coming round the bend I meet the horse and rider on the opposite side of the road, I was going no faster than the vehicles in front and gets a load of abuse from the said rider for not slowing down! 20mph I was doing when I looked and thought it wasn’t excessive. The said rider has now phoned my boss whom each know each other, and I’m to see him in the morning. It’s quite obvious that he’s taken one side off a story and the jury is out. So tomorrow is going to be interesting. My question is if I had off been coming the other way I’d have to off given the same if not more revs to pass, so can’t see a problem. Looks like I’m dealing with a jobs worth here

Slow down to a crawl near horses, especially in a truck.

Explain your case and keep cool. If it appears that some form of punishment is coming your way, tell him to shove his job up his ■■■■■■.

Assuming you are in a lorry and the other vehicles are car sized then which of those vehicles do you think could scare a horse ?

This is a perfect example of why LGV drivers have a bigger responsibility on the road so should have better forward thinking and planning especially as to what is likely to be around the bend particularly in rural areas

If this incident serves as a good lesson learned where thankfully no person or animal was hurt then it is unlikely to happen again in the future :smiley:

As you posted this for public viewing it might also serve as a reminder to others :smiley:

20mph in a car will SEEM very different to 20mph in a LGV to not only a horse but also other people

Conor:

If you’ve built up momentum to get around a hairpin and hill and travelling at no more than 20mph to do so are you saying grind to a halt regardless to who’s behind you?

Are you suggesting Rog that every time we come to a bend in a rural area, we should be doing 10 mph in case there is a horse there?

A bit unrealistic in the real world.

Superhampton1980:
I was going no faster than the vehicles in front and gets a load of abuse from the said rider for not slowing down! 20mph I was doing when I looked and thought it wasn’t excessive.

A horse is more likely to be spooked by a truck going 20mph than a car doing the same by it’s sheer size.
Maybe if she saw, or heard, you coming off the gas a bit, she wouldn’t have bubbled you, at leastvyou would have demonstrated an attempt, but I don’t know mate, I wasn’t there on the day.
Personally I go past them at walking pace with a wide berth.

After saying that, I’ve always thought a field would be more suitable than a main road for excercising a horse. :unamused:

robroy:

Superhampton1980:
I was going no faster than the vehicles in front and gets a load of abuse from the said rider for not slowing down! 20mph I was doing when I looked and thought it wasn’t excessive.

A horse is more likely to be spooked by a truck going 20mph than a car doing the same by it’s sheer size.
Maybe if she saw, or heard, you coming off the gas a bit, she wouldn’t have bubbled you, at leastvyou would have demonstrated an attempt, but I don’t know mate, I wasn’t there on the day.
Personally I go past them at walking pace with a wide berth.

After saying that, I’ve always thought a field would be more suitable than a main road for excercising a horse. :unamused:

My thoughts exactly about the field. But as I was on the opposite lane I thought I was doing no wrong. The horse didn’t even flinch, the woman on it screaming was making more noise than my wagon lol

I too am careful round horses, assuming they are coming the other way i slow to walking pace and if the animal shows any signs of spooking i halt the vehicle as silently as possible and stop the engine, not putting the parking brake on or any other action until the horse is well past in order to minimise noise.
If i overtake a horse its at a fixed throttle setting in one held gear gently and slowly, no gearchanges sudden movements or other noise inducing actions until well past.

We are supposed to be the professionals here, if half wits with rorty exhausts on 1000cc cars go past revving like idiots there’s nothing we can do about it, with a bit of luck yon nag might give the heap a bloody good kick as it goes by knocking some sense into the driver at the same time.

They have to use the roads or like may hobbies or sports it becomes suitable only for the very rich if horse riding was restricted to fields only, and it would die out, yet another rural tradition where all classes can participate sacrificed.

You do get nutters riding horses just as you get idiots behind the wheel.

Superhampton1980:
Going back to the yard after my shift on Friday and I come across a horse and rider, I was driving round a hairpin and giving it the gas heading up the hill which was on a left hand bend

Have another read at the scene you set out :open_mouth: :unamused:

eagerbeaver:
Are you suggesting Rog that every time we come to a bend in a rural area, we should be doing 10 mph in case there is a horse there?

A bit unrealistic in the real world.

I am saying it should be at a speed that the driver can stop in the distance they can see is clear

If the horse was spooked then crossed into the path of the LGV and the LGV could stop before colliding then the LGV driver was at the right speed

I always assume on rural roads that just around the bend is a 500kg horse in the opposite lane with the thrown rider in my lane - never failed me to think that way yet :smiley:

Superhampton1980:

Conor:

If you’ve built up momentum to get around a hairpin and hill and travelling at no more than 20mph to do so are you saying grind to a halt regardless to who’s behind you?

If the driver behind hits the vehicle in front up the rear who’s fault is that :question: - always the one behind for travelling too close or too fast as far as I am concerned

Horse riders, lycra clad cyclists and Nissan Micras should all be banned off the roads,no ifs no buts off they go!!!

Casual Observer:

Superhampton1980:
Going back to the yard after my shift on Friday and I come across a horse and rider, I was driving round a hairpin and giving it the gas heading up the hill which was on a left hand bend

I assumed he meant going back to the yard near the end of the shift :question:

Casual Observer:

Superhampton1980:

I think most get what I was trying to say, I wouldn’t have spent much time in a class room in my younger years, you can correct it if you want

Try this .

Returning to yard , at or near end of shift , i.e. Close to home time

Hairpin , a tight bend you are more than likely not able to see around

Giving it the gas , foot on accelerator using power .

It reads as if you may well have been less than prepared for encountering a hazard , or an unexpected event , which was the case :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Casual Observer:
Try this .

Returning to yard , at or near end of shift , i.e. Close to home time

Hairpin , a tight bend you are more than likely not able to see around

Giving it the gas , foot on accelerator using power .

It reads as if you may well have less than prepared for encountering a hazard , or an unexpected event , which was the case :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Giving it gas heading up a hill which was on a left handed bend, how else do you get power to go up a hill? Do you put your 2 feet out the window to get up or am I missing some thing? I rounded it off to 20mph it was more 17mph if anything maybe 16mph.

As for end of shift, I was on hire,so end of shift for people that hired me, not exactly end of shift had I off been doing my normal work

I guess it’s something to factor in when you’re driving. Saying that, I do find at times, these horsey sorts just expect you as a driver to take all precautions and they take none… I reckon they should train their horses to get less spooked before they take them on the road. Maybe blow up balloons behind the horse and pop it with a pin now and again.

Guys and Gals, horse rider and 7.5t driver here.

We don’t have any right to ride on fields in England and Wales.

We wouldn’t be on the roads if we had an option.

ROG:
Assuming you are in a lorry and the other vehicles are car sized then which of those vehicles do you think could scare a horse ?

In my experience a crisp packet blowing out of a hedge can spook some horses more than a truck, so there is no telling.
Having been brought up round horses, the first trucks I drove were horseboxes, I always slow down even stop if on single track roads, but mostly just avoid any sudden changes in speed or noise.

So if the OP came round a corner at 20mph, he’d be better off just coming off the gas than jumping on the brakes to slow down quickly.

Giving it gas heading up a hill which was on a left handed bend, how else do you get power to go up a hill? Do you put your 2 feet out the window to get up or am I missing some thing? I rounded it off to 20mph it was more 17mph if anything maybe 16mph.

As for end of shift, I was on hire,so end of shift for people that hired me, not exactly end of shift had I off been doing my normal work
[/quote]
+1
wheres the issue when mrs pretencious nimby is on the other side of the road…you can just close your eyes and see her…its not only a police horse that has an a hole halfway up its back…tell your boss to have her come in and complain to your face,then tell her to do one.