Service Intervals

I’ve notice that the current transport company that I’m working for are failing to keep their tractor units within their service intervals.
As a driver what does this mean for me and where do I stand under the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the companies responsibility to ensure the vehicles are inspected at the appropriate intervals.

I don’t see that there are any ramifications for the driver unless the company were to have their operators licence suspended because of it.

But what happens if you knowingly take it out on the road with an out of date service schedule ?

How would you know if it had been serviced or not? And are you sure you know the service interval?

albion:
How would you know if it had been serviced or not? And are you sure you know the service interval?

Exactly.

Company problem, not the driver’s.

A.

albion:

When ours are serviced by Volvo they stick a sticker inside the drivers door with the date the next service is due .

bald bloke:
But what happens if you knowingly take it out on the road with an out of date service schedule ?

Sorry I assumed the OP was referring to the six weekly inspections.

As far as service schedules are concerned I would say that unless the driver knows something to be wrong with the vehicle it’s still the operators responsibility.,

Safety inspections and service intervals ie oil and filters/ air filter/ fuel filters ect are two completely different things…

Looks like we were more or less typing away the same thing tachograph 4.01- 4.03pm :slight_smile:

AndrewG:
Looks like we were more or less typing away the same thing tachograph 4.01- 4.03pm :slight_smile:

No worries, it happens all the time :wink:

I drive a man tgx and it comes up service schedule due 16/12/16. Having spoken to the powers that be I know that it is late going in

All you can do is your daily checks, rest is company responsibility.

MOSSSIDEDEEP:
…it comes up service schedule due 16/12/16.

Could be that the garage didnt reset it or couldn’t, or that is the rather conservative service intervals manufacturers like to put on cars, vans, trucks etc. in a vein attempt to get people to service it at the main dealer. Wouldnt worry, pretty sure I driven stuff that not been serviced in years rather than a month.

bald bloke:

Nothing. There is only a legal requirement for safety inspections, not services.

Not my problem if the company doesn’t keep up with servicing. It’s not my unit to re sale and I still get paid if it breaks down.

Theres mostly very long service intervals with heavy trucks now with long life synthetic oil technology, i still prefer to halve the intervals for oils and filters though, a bit old school i know but cant help thinking some intervals are just too long at 60-100K km’s…

Company problem,who knows if a vehicle has been serviced or not,it may or may not have been serviced whilst the driver was off or done overnight when he was home in bed ,and put back where he left it

Thanks for the replies peeps