British Commercial Vehicle Museum

Just popped up to Leyland to see this place for a couple of hours. Some fascinating machines there and the old boys who volunteer their time are a pleasure to learn from. It’s incredible to look into the erm…’ cabs ’ and see what our forefathers used to pilot around. Only £6.50 too.

I especially liked the Leyland Beaver.

I visited a couple of years ago. Very interesting and as you say knowledgeable people who are happy to chat.

thinking of going there myself one day,doing an overnighter in a hotel

There’s a good BBC documentary that shows how some of the volunteers, at the time, nearly ran the place into the ground.

That Leyland truck of the future they’ve got looks more modern than a lot of stuff some truck manufacturers are churning out now.

There is an old Atkinson Borderer in there that a chap from Bowkers ran and did a million k’s in it. The boss of Bowkers was so chuffed with the driver and the condition that he kept it in, that he effectively gave it to him. It’s been completely restored and looks really good IMO.
The steam powered trucks and very early petrol/diesel trucks look completely primitive, and there are numerous pictures of our predecessors doing the job in shirt/tie and hat. I would not like to do the job in summer dressed like that!

It’s pretty much the late 70’s/early 80’s before the trucks look like you might get a decent nights sleep. As for the day cab trucks, the 60’s wagons looked like a 100 mile trip would not be a relaxing affair.

All in all, a very worthwhile visit and reinforces to me the respect I have for all you older guys that did the job 40 years ago.

eagerbeaver:
Just popped up to Leyland to see this place for a couple of hours. Some fascinating machines there and the old boys who volunteer their time are a pleasure to learn from. It’s incredible to look into the erm…’ cabs ’ and see what our forefathers used to pilot around. Only £6.50 too.

I especially liked the Leyland Beaver.

I wonder what Robroy and Albion will think of being called a forefather :laughing:

eagerbeaver:
There is an old Atkinson Borderer in there that a chap from Bowkers ran and did a million k’s in it. The boss of Bowkers was so chuffed with the driver and the condition that he kept it in, that he effectively gave it to him. It’s been completely restored and looks really good IMO.
The steam powered trucks and very early petrol/diesel trucks look completely primitive, and there are numerous pictures of our predecessors doing the job in shirt/tie and hat. I would not like to do the job in summer dressed like that!

It’s pretty much the late 70’s/early 80’s before the trucks look like you might get a decent nights sleep. As for the day cab trucks, the 60’s wagons looked like a 100 mile trip would not be a relaxing affair.

All in all, a very worthwhile visit and reinforces to me the respect I have for all you older guys that did the job 40 years ago.

It’s sound quite interesting, a bit too far from me unfortunately.

James the cat:
I wonder what Robroy and Albion will think of being called a forefather :laughing:

I think Albion would be more worried! :open_mouth:

I called in there a few years ago with the Mrs (I know how to show a girl a good time eh? :sunglasses: :smiley: ) and kids.
I love looking at old trucks, the one that impressed me was the old 60s Leyland with about 500 miles on the clock from new, the Army had it in storage from new in Northern Ireland apparently and is in brand new condition.
LONG before my time btw to a certain cheeky ■■■■ on here :wink: :laughing:

There is also a cardboard cut out of a Traffic Police Range Rover that I remember being put on the hard shoulder embankment in Lancs to slow you down in the 80s :smiley:

There was a '71 model Albion there. But when I went over to it, it started lecturing me on advanced viewing procedures.

robroy:
There is also a cardboard cut out of a Traffic Police Range Rover that I remember being put on the hard shoulder embankment in Lancs to slow you down in the 80s :smiley:

Sounds like it would go well with our cardboard police officers we have today.

eagerbeaver:

It’s actually an Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ Mk.1: it was given to John Hemelryk, a London-based driver, when it first entered service in March 1967. John had first joined the company in the 1930s and left after nationalisation of the industry in 1949. He then re-joined when the company re-entered haulage in 1954, and was the first London-based driver for the newly-revived operation.

GBV 759E, fleet number 47, was one of the very first Atkinsons built with the then new Gardner 6LXB engine (the famous “180 Gardner”) and replaced a Guy Invincible with a 6LW engine. John didn’t like it at first, but soon took to it, and came to be absilutrely inseparable from it, referring to it as “My Friend”. Not only did it outlive all the other Mk.1 Atkinsons in the fleet, but all the Mk.2s and Borderers as well! In fact, it was only the impending tachograph legislation that ended its revenue-earning career in late 1980, by which time John was well past 65.

When withdrawn from service, the unit was given back to John to take home and look after. It was kept taxed as a private vehicle and MOT’d for him. In January 1983, he returned to work at Blackburn Depot as a yard shunter, bringing “Friend” with him, and this continued until December 1985, when John finally retired, and this time left his beloved Atkinson behind. It was rallied several times in 1983-5, in its working condition.

In the Spring of 1986, it was sent away for restoration, finally completed in 1987, and it has been active ever since, covering thousands and thousands of miles in preservation, to add to the million-plus it achieved in service. Not only has it been to both Lands End and John O’Groats in preservation, it has even been to Sweden twice!

It still has the original engine and gearbox, even the original Hardy Spicer couplings on the propshaft, and has neve left Bowker’s ownership.

Sadly, John Hemelryk passed away in December 1992, alongside the other love of his life, the motor boat Peacock, on which he had lived since the early 1950s. Peacock is also preserved, and is proudly displayed at the Black Country Museum.

47 when new:

GBV 759E Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ T3046XB by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

And on the way home from Somerset with a new acquistion in May 1998:

GBV 759E & ABP 481 by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

GBV 759E Atkinson T3046XB by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

Other Albions are available – and this one doesn’t mind being called a forefather, I’ve been called worse!
Bernard

robroy:
I called in there a few years ago with the Mrs (I know how to show a girl a good time eh? :sunglasses: :smiley: ) and kids.
I love looking at old trucks, the one that impressed me was the old 60s Leyland with about 500 miles on the clock from new, the Army had it in storage from new in Northern Ireland apparently and is in brand new condition.
LONG before my time btw to a certain cheeky [zb] on here :wink: :laughing:

That cardboard copper was on the Northbound M6 just after the M55 interchange,

Thanks for the background 240 Gardner, fascinating.

240 Gardner:

eagerbeaver:

It’s actually an Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ Mk.1: it was given to John Hemelryk, a London-based driver, when it first entered service in March 1967. John had first joined the company in the 1930s and left after nationalisation of the industry in 1949. He then re-joined when the company re-entered haulage in 1954, and was the first London-based driver for the newly-revived operation.

GBV 759E, fleet number 47, was one of the very first Atkinsons built with the then new Gardner 6LXB engine (the famous “180 Gardner”) and replaced a Guy Invincible with a 6LW engine. John didn’t like it at first, but soon took to it, and came to be absilutrely inseparable from it, referring to it as “My Friend”. Not only did it outlive all the other Mk.1 Atkinsons in the fleet, but all the Mk.2s and Borderers as well! In fact, it was only the impending tachograph legislation that ended its revenue-earning career in late 1980, by which time John was well past 65.

When withdrawn from service, the unit was given back to John to take home and look after. It was kept taxed as a private vehicle and MOT’d for him. In January 1983, he returned to work at Blackburn Depot as a yard shunter, bringing “Friend” with him, and this continued until December 1985, when John finally retired, and this time left his beloved Atkinson behind. It was rallied several times in 1983-5, in its working condition.

In the Spring of 1986, it was sent away for restoration, finally completed in 1987, and it has been active ever since, covering thousands and thousands of miles in preservation, to add to the million-plus it achieved in service. Not only has it been to both Lands End and John O’Groats in preservation, it has even been to Sweden twice!

It still has the original engine and gearbox, even the original Hardy Spicer couplings on the propshaft, and has neve left Bowker’s ownership.

Sadly, John Hemelryk passed away in December 1992, alongside the other love of his life, the motor boat Peacock, on which he had lived since the early 1950s. Peacock is also preserved, and is proudly displayed at the Black Country Museum.

47 when new:

GBV 759E Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ T3046XB by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

And on the way home from Somerset with a new acquistion in May 1998:

GBV 759E & ABP 481 by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

GBV 759E Atkinson T3046XB by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

What an AMAZING story!

Water temp gauge…special extra :smiley:

First lorry I ever drove around the yard and shunted with was a Borderer.

No power steering, my arms made Chuck Norris look like a poofta.

pete smith:

robroy:

He pulled me in one day, and said ‘I ought to give you a ticket but I don’t want to spoil your day’’ I said ‘‘You know what mate, you aint CUT OUT for this job’’
Thank you very much. :sunglasses:

robroy:

pete smith:

robroy:

He pulled me in one day, and said ‘I ought to give you a ticket but I don’t want to spoil your day’’ I said ‘‘You know what mate, you aint CUT OUT for this job’’
Thank you very much. :sunglasses:

Was he blown over by that, or did that gag fall flat? :open_mouth:

Great post 240-THANKYOU!!