Job interview

Just been for an interview with a container company in Hull. All sounded good until boss man says if you have an accident and it’s proven it’s the drivers fault they will take half the cost of the damage of the driver weekly up to 250 quid a week! Does this in any way sound normal to you guys.

mike_mccord:
Just been for an interview with a container company in Hull. All sounded good until boss man says if you have an accident and it’s proven it’s the drivers fault they will take half the cost of the damage of the driver weekly up to 250 quid a week! Does this in any way sound normal to you guys.

No. They have insurance for a reason. Walk away.

Not for me, I’d take steps. Large ones away from blokes like this.
Isn’t that what insurance is for? Different if you were having a bump every week, expect to get the shove but I’d never sign up the pay anything towards the costs of repair. A bent bumper might easily be a grand.

Haha that’s what I was thinking lol. Glad it’s not industry wide

I’ve been to a couple of interviews before where they’ve said if it turns out you are at fault then you will pay the excess.

Why stop there? I’m sure that us drivers would happily chip in for the fuel costs, servicing & tyre costs too. It’s a risk putting someone in a motor vehicle, hence companies have insurance. If that boss is not prepared to take that risk I’d suggest he should probably be in a different business alltogether.

Their existing drivers must have agreed to it, so draw your own conclusions.
Something similar was put to us on a new employment contract. I refused to sign it as I did not agree with it, needless to say a lot did sign it. :unamused:
It was explained to me that they would only charge drivers in certain circumstances, The guy said '‘Has that clarified it, I said ‘Yes’’ he said ‘‘Ok, so will you sign it now’’ I said ‘‘No’’

robroy:
Their existing drivers must have agreed to it, so draw your own conclusions.

They are all ■■■■■■■ without fail?

Please don’t tell me people actually agree to crap like this.

You know that race to the bottom we sometimes mention here, it sounds like the finishing line has already been crossed… :unamused:

mike_mccord:

Erm nope, like what they say on the adr course … Steps to be taken … Fast ones in the oppo direction, is it just me or can I hear the song, self preservation society

the maoster:
Why stop there? I’m sure that us drivers would happily chip in for the fuel costs, servicing & tyre costs too. It’s a risk putting someone in a motor vehicle, hence companies have insurance. If that boss is not prepared to take that risk I’d suggest he should probably be in a different business alltogether.

Agree Fully

2016 Drivers bag contents; Licences/cards
Butties/drink
Sunglasses
Map/sat-nav
Blue roll/glass cleaner
Safety glasses/tape measure

Oh, nearly forgot…LUBE.

Don`t go near the place

The conversation would take a tone with me, along the lines of do you give me 50% of the profit? Well why would I give you 50% of the cost? Walk away from clowns like that

Name and shame them…
I just don’t understand drivers that sign up to this sort of rubbish.
What next?? a driver has poor fuel figures so drops a bit of fuel in out of his own pocket to make up for it…

Name & shame the company

yorkshire terrier:
Name and shame them…
What next?? a driver has poor fuel figures so drops a bit of fuel in out of his own pocket to make up for it…

You’re saying that like it is ridiculous, which it is btw, but if you had said 10/15 years ago that drivers would readily accept in cab cameras, breath and drugs tests by some ■■■■ in an office, and all the rest of it you would have got a similar reaction to your o/p.
So just wait for it, I’ll give it 5 years.

robroy:

yorkshire terrier:
Name and shame them…

You’re saying that like it is ridiculous, which it is btw, but if you had said 10/15 years ago that drivers would readily accept in cab cameras, breath and drugs tests by some [zb] in an office, and all the rest of it you would have got a similar reaction to your o/p.
So just wait for it, I’ll give it 5 years.

Worryingly I fear your right robroy
I’m just glad I work for an honest outfit where non of the complete rubbish goes on.

peirre:
Name & shame the company

Definitely name and shame. Wonder if it was Middlegate as they seem to have a drivers wanted banner permanently affixed to their yard fence.

If you are desperate for fulltime work, live in Hull and are prepared to travel 20 miles to Goole then walk in to any agency and tell them you’re happy to do Tesco if the price is right. You’ll get all the work you ever want. Don’t accept anything below £10-£11/hr PAYE.

I would laugh at him before leaving.
However is this actually legal because :

1. The insurance company is paying for the damage …so what are you paying for ?
  2. This means you are actually receiving less than minimum wage in effect, is that legally allowed?
  3. Who decides if it’s your fault , in some instances a court case may be many months away and the truck needs repaired now ?