Weekly rest

A question on irishrigs, no one seems to know the answer,

Can Weekly Rest it be taken on a ferry /ship? .

Provided you can “Freely dispose of the time doing what you want” why not…and you have a proper bed to sleep in .
I imagine a TC might not like it but unless a president has been set saying otherwise I would think its OK…But I will say we never tried doing it, only as our crossings were never long enough.

Now wait for Tachograph or Rog to know the rules better than me !

You can legally have a weekly rest period on a ferry as long as you have access to a bunk or couchette.

I know you haven’t asked but for clarity, when travelling by ferry or train you cannot interrupt a weekly rest period the way you can a daily rest period, so assuming you can have a reduced weekly rest period you would need to spend at-least 24 hours on the ferry.

tachograph:
You can legally have a weekly rest period on a ferry as long as you have access to a bunk or couchette.

I know you haven’t asked but for clarity, when travelling by ferry or train you cannot interrupt a weekly rest period the way you can a daily rest period, so assuming you can have a reduced weekly rest period you would need to spend at-least 24 hours on the ferry.

Would that be a 45 as well,
The situation is as follows, and they still don’t have a answer. what about Start and end locations for each shift on tacho as in different country’s, its a very good question.

Can it be taken on a ferry /ship? .
Got a load that has to go to Germany, off load for about 24hr testing , but driver will have to shunt on and off bay to reload so can’t get a 24 in.
I can get him on Rotterdam -Dublin Friday evening and he can get a 45 on there.
Now, he is happy to do this and have a clean card for the following week.
Is it legal to take a 45hr weekly rest this way? .
All I can find about it is that the driver must be able to dispose of his time as he wishes.
As I said, the driver is happy to do this.
Anyone any ideas on it?

nightline:
The situation is as follows, and they still don’t have a answer.

Yes the driver can have a 45 hour regular weekly rest period or a reduced weekly rest period on a ferry or train as long as he has access to a bunk or couchette.
As long as the driver has access to a bunk or couchette the stipulation of being able to dispose of time freely when on a rest period is pretty much negated when travelling by ferry or train.

I can’t give you anything definitive from DVSA but have no reason not to believe they would comply with the EU guidelines on the situation.

EU Guidance Note 6

GUIDANCE NOTE 6

Issue: Recording of time spent on board of a ferry or train where the driver has access to a
bunk or couchette.

Article: 9 (1) of Regulation (EC) No 561/2006

Approach to be followed: Generally during a rest, a driver shall be able, according to Article
4(f), to dispose freely of his/her time. However, a driver is entitled to take his/her break or
rest, daily or weekly, when he/she is travelling by ferry or train, provided that he/she has
access to a bunk or couchette. This stems from the wording of Article 9(2) which stipulates
that any time spent travelling “shall not be counted as a rest or break unless the driver is on
ferry or a train and has access to a bunk or couchette”.

Furthermore, in line with Article 9(1) a regular daily rest period of at least 11 hours taken
on a ferry or a train (if a driver has access to a bunk or a couchette) may be interrupted twice
as a maximum, by other activities (such as embarking or disembarking from the ferry boat or
train). The total time of these two interruptions may not exceed 1 hour. This time must not, in
any case, result in any reduction of a regular daily rest period.

In case of a regular daily rest taken in two periods, the first of which must be of at least 3
hours and the second of at least 9 hours (as stipulated in Article 4(g)), the number of
interruptions (maximum two) concerns the whole period of daily rest and not each part of a
regular daily rest taken in two periods.

The derogation under Article 9(1) does not apply to a weekly rest period, whether reduced or
regular.

tachograph:

nightline:
The situation is as follows, and they still don’t have a answer.

Yes the driver can have a 45 hour regular weekly rest period or a reduced weekly rest period on a ferry or train as long as he has access to a bunk or couchette.
As long as the driver has access to a bunk or couchette the stipulation of being able to dispose of time freely when on a rest period is pretty much negated when travelling by ferry or train.

I can’t give you anything definitive from DVSA but have no reason not to believe they would comply with the EU guidelines on the situation.

EU Guidance Note 6

GUIDANCE NOTE 6

Issue: Recording of time spent on board of a ferry or train where the driver has access to a
bunk or couchette.

Article: 9 (1) of Regulation (EC) No 561/2006

Approach to be followed: Generally during a rest, a driver shall be able, according to Article
4(f), to dispose freely of his/her time. However, a driver is entitled to take his/her break or
rest, daily or weekly, when he/she is travelling by ferry or train, provided that he/she has
access to a bunk or couchette. This stems from the wording of Article 9(2) which stipulates
that any time spent travelling “shall not be counted as a rest or break unless the driver is on
ferry or a train and has access to a bunk or couchette”.

Furthermore, in line with Article 9(1) a regular daily rest period of at least 11 hours taken
on a ferry or a train (if a driver has access to a bunk or a couchette) may be interrupted twice
as a maximum, by other activities (such as embarking or disembarking from the ferry boat or
train). The total time of these two interruptions may not exceed 1 hour. This time must not, in
any case, result in any reduction of a regular daily rest period.

In case of a regular daily rest taken in two periods, the first of which must be of at least 3
hours and the second of at least 9 hours (as stipulated in Article 4(g)), the number of
interruptions (maximum two) concerns the whole period of daily rest and not each part of a
regular daily rest taken in two periods.

The derogation under Article 9(1) does not apply to a weekly rest period, whether reduced or
regular.

what about Start and end locations for each shift on tacho as in different country’s, its a very good question.

nightline:
what about Start and end locations for each shift on tacho as in different country’s, its a very good question.

That’s no different to having a daily rest period on a ferry, you’re going to end one shift in one country and start the next shift in another country, just enter the relevant countries into the tachograph as you normally would at the start and end of shifts.

The only difference is that the rest period is going to be a weekly rest period rather than a daily rest period.

I asked a similar question on tacho forum few months ago and totally legal to use ferry mode as part of weekly rest.
As long as you do usual when on 11hr daily rest and add “the shunt” time onto your 45hrs.
Think it was stated that nowhere in regs did it say you “couldn’t use” ferry mode on weekly rest.

Big Truck:
I asked a similar question on tacho forum few months ago and totally legal to use ferry mode as part of weekly rest.
As long as you do usual when on 11hr daily rest and add “the shunt” time onto your 45hrs.
Think it was stated that nowhere in regs did it say you “couldn’t use” ferry mode on weekly rest.

You can have a weekly rest period on a ferry but you cannot interrupt a weekly rest period the way you can a daily rest period.

A 45 hour regular weekly rest period means you have to have the whole 45 hours rest on the ferry, interrupt it once and it becomes at most a reduced weekly rest period.

In fact it says as much at the bottom of the link that I quoted a couple of posts above.

regular.