So will we all be redundant soon?

I don’t think so :open_mouth:
dailymail.co.uk/news/article … on-M6.html

MIGHT HELP EASE CONGESTION they say,it is not lorries that cause the congestion, it is too many cars,if a car driver says I am talking rubbish I would reply that the next time there is a jam on the motorway try and count how many cars there are compared to hgvs,you would never be able to as there would be too many to count,and the other part about a human operator will be sitting in the drivers seat in case of an emergency,they are obviously not that confident with driverless lorries,and whos to say nothing will go wrong when they do become driverless,be interesting to see what happens

truckman020:
whos to say nothing will go wrong when they do become driverless

And if something DOES go wrong, who gets the blame? If it is a fatal crash, who gets charged? The driver? The manufacturer? Will insurance refuse to pay out in a crash because they claim the driver should have prevented it?
Its a legal mine field and I doubt driverless vehicles will become the norm any time soon

The lorries can drive closer together as they are all linked electronically.

The benefit of this method of driving is that it will allow the vehicles to drive closer together, freeing up space on the motorway for other users.

Freeing up space? I don’t think the motorways are congested because we leave large gaps between us. I suppose it will help car drivers getting on/off motorways when they have to navigate these 10 lorry long ‘trains’.

George Osborne will give the go ahead :confused:

George Osborne is the Chancellor of the Exchequer?

See at the bottom it also mentions freightliner, that rail capacity full now eh now trying your train ■■■■■ on the roads :laughing:

Only way driverless trucks will ever work in the uk is if every single vechilce on the road is driverless. Just look at all the crap on the newest trucks, lane departure, anti collision most of it doesn’t work. That anti collision stuff goes off its head in built up areas, lane departure works when it wants to aswell.

■■■■ your robot trucks ya ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■ :laughing:

truckman020:
MIGHT HELP EASE CONGESTION they say,it is not lorries that cause the congestion, it is too many cars,if a car driver says I am talking rubbish I would reply that the next time there is a jam on the motorway try and count how many cars there are compared to hgvs,you would never be able to as there would be too many to count,and the other part about a human operator will be sitting in the drivers seat in case of an emergency,they are obviously not that confident with driverless lorries,and whos to say nothing will go wrong when they do become driverless,be interesting to see what happens

I remember the time we had the fuel strikes and most of the car driving Muppet’s couldn’t get fuel,lol there wasn’t even congestion at rush hour times around that hell hole London ie M25 ect motorways where quite everywhere, too many idiots in cars on the roads in this overpopulated country

The congestion has nothing to do with lorries

mrginge:
Freeing up space? I don’t think the motorways are congested because we leave large gaps between us. I suppose it will help car drivers getting on/off motorways when they have to navigate these 10 lorry long ‘trains’.

some utter loon in a car will still try squeeze in between, then do a brake test. LOL

I wonder how close they will tail gate each other, if it is seriously close and the lead truck fails to brake, imagine the mess of 440 tons at 56 mph ploughing into something, could do a lot of damage.

It would also be interesting to know the fuel saving, at 56mph about 35-40% of the engines power is being used to push air out of the way (wind resistance) if they were close enough to reduce frontal resistance down to zero, 10mpg could become 15 or 16

The future will be closer to virtual railways, in which the roadway contains the technology and engineering to run a vehicle on a virtual track between stations.

Urban roads will be too costly to re-engineer and will not be replaced (any more than they were by traditional steel railway), but motorways and new road corridors will become automated.

And personally, I say good riddance to motorway driving.

I think anti tail gating devices would be ideal while we’re waiting for all this autonomous malarky to be sorted out. Piece of ■■■■ to get front facing radar to cut the power to the accelerator when you get too close to the vehicle in front.

How many places want 10 trailers turning up at the same time?,most places go into meltdown if 2 turn up together lol

Even electronics go wrong. This time of year, highways de-icing rock salt plays havoc with abs sensors.

Sounds good to me, means I can make tea and play on my phone while it’s driving itself. Just so long as it doesn’t swerve to avoid a carrier bag when I’m pouring boiling water into the cup.

Terry T:
I think anti tail gating devices would be ideal while we’re waiting for all this autonomous malarky to be sorted out. Piece of ■■■■ to get front facing radar to cut the power to the accelerator when you get too close to the vehicle in front.

You’d never get anywhere in London. Leave a gap and someone pulls into it and the truck won’t move so then another ■■■■ pulls in.

simon1958:
Even electronics go wrong. This time of year, highways de-icing rock salt plays havoc with abs sensors.

This. Our trucks are fitting with adaptive cruise control and automatic emergency braking. This week in the slightest of snow the sensors have thrown up a “dirty sensor” warning and disabled the systems.

Tris:

Terry T:

You’d never get anywhere in London. Leave a gap and someone pulls into it and the truck won’t move so then another [zb] pulls in.

Many of these gizmos only work at a pre defined speed. Would be easy to set it to only work at 30mph and above. Or whatever works best.

Terry T:

Tris:

Terry T:

You’d never get anywhere in London. Leave a gap and someone pulls into it and the truck won’t move so then another [zb] pulls in.

Many of these gizmos only work at a pre defined speed. Would be easy to set it to only work at 30mph and above. Or whatever works best.

Right so I’m cruising at 55mph on a dual carriageway and gradually inching up on a wagon doing 54.5mph. I will no longer be able to get fairly close before pulling out and won’t want to lose any momentum so I’ll be pulling out to overtake well in advance. This will cause lots more congestion no? And once past the truck doing 54.5 he won’t flash you in til he thinks you won’t slow him down. Can see this system possibly doubling overtaking time, and causing huge queues especially when you get several wagons overtaking at the same time.

Tris:

Terry T:

Tris:

Terry T:

Right so I’m cruising at 55mph on a dual carriageway and gradually inching up on a wagon doing 54.5mph. I will no longer be able to get fairly close before pulling out and won’t want to lose any momentum so I’ll be pulling out to overtake well in advance. This will cause lots more congestion no? And once past the truck doing 54.5 he won’t flash you in til he thinks you won’t slow him down. Can see this system possibly doubling overtaking time, and causing huge queues especially when you get several wagons overtaking at the same time.

You won’t inch up on the wagon in front though will you coz the radar will keep you at a set distance.

From what I can gather, current active cruise controls do not kill the power to the rear vehicle if the the vehicle in front is accelerating away from it.

So he’s doing half a click slower than you. Let the radar keep you well behind and enjoy the ride. It would need a lot of setting up obviously just the same as with autonomous vehicles. All trucks would probably have to be set at the same speed to prevent the impatient (99% of us) from disabling it every time they fear they might be held up for a few seconds and their ■■■■ will shrivel if they have to come off the limiter.

It’s all coming anyway wether you want it or not. And I doubt you’ll care about half an mph when you’re busy watching TV while the truck drives itself :smiley:

Yawn.
It’ll not work in this country.
As soon as you have a closed motorway or the elusive road works it’ll fall apart

What happens when this contraption catches up with a slow moving tossco truck? Will all 10 trucks pull out to overtake? If so, how does the lead truck know that the tail end Charlie has cleared the obstacle?

I would love to see this scenario on the M8 :laughing:

This technology scares me to death. I’m only a 22 year old driver and I love it but I don’t want to be out of a job in the next decade. Do you think drivers will be needed for the next 50 years at least? Also I worry as trucks become more autonomous, drivers wages will come down even further.