advice on job interview

hi guys,
as the title suggests I have my first job interview tomorrow for a driving job, I passed my class 2 in December so I have just started looking. applied to a few places and have an interview with a general haulage company to do class 2 work.
not been for a job interview in 8 years which was for my current job and my previous jobs before that never required interviews, it was always a case of turn up and we will try you out.
so I am just looking for a bit of advice on what to expect

• what will we be talking about
  • personal qualities I need tell them about
  • when am I likely to have a driving assessment if I pass the interview
  • on the assessment will I use my tacho card
  • will I need to demonstrate a walk around check before we go out
  • any other advice I may find useful
    I am confident i can make a good impression but I am trying to know as much as I can so I am properly prepared so any advice would be greatly appreciated. drivers I have spoken to while going in for my training and looking for jobs have been really helpful so I wanted to pick your brains.

ps if anyone is gonna reply with a funny comment please use your imaginations and come up with something original, rather than “don’t do it”

paddy1882:
hi guys,
as the title suggests I have my first job interview tomorrow for a driving job, I passed my class 2 in December so I have just started looking. applied to a few places and have an interview with a general haulage company to do class 2 work.
not been for a job interview in 8 years which was for my current job and my previous jobs before that never required interviews, it was always a case of turn up and we will try you out.
so I am just looking for a bit of advice on what to expect

• what will we be talking about
  • personal qualities I need tell them about
  • when am I likely to have a driving assessment if I pass the interview
  • on the assessment will I use my tacho card
  • will I need to demonstrate a walk around check before we go out
  • any other advice I may find useful
    I am confident i can make a good impression but I am trying to know as much as I can so I am properly prepared so any advice would be greatly appreciated. drivers I have spoken to while going in for my training and looking for jobs have been really helpful so I wanted to pick your brains.

ps if anyone is gonna reply with a funny comment please use your imaginations and come up with something original, rather than “don’t do it”

Class 2, hoodie , baseball cap on back to front and aim it , from what I’ve seen should get you through the assessment with flying colours ,if you can text whilst driving will impress too

Take some work gear with you as a lot of companies do driving assessments there and then (hi viz and steel toe capped boots, and remember your digi card) :wink:

cheers, I already have my boots and hi viz in the car just in case

Interviews are a 2 way street, so think about some questions for them.
I’d want to know how up together their trucks are, what’s the maintenance like and what happens when faults occur.
From that i’d hope to learn whether this firm expects you to be going out with defects…
Obviously they won’t tell you in black and white, so use your imagination.

Remember that it’s your licence! :smiley:

I find it best to be yourself.

No good coming across as a company man then suddenly turn into the driver from hell :wink:

Evil8Beezle:
I’d want to know how up together their trucks are, what’s the maintenance like and what happens when faults occur.
From that i’d hope to learn whether this firm expects you to be going out with defects…

all of the above would scream trouble maker to me in interview evil!

war1974:

Evil8Beezle:

all of the above would scream trouble maker to me in interview evil!

I am a trouble maker! :laughing:
Obviously if you ask direct and outright, I was thinking more about wanting to see the trucks and know the procedures.
With everything, subtlety and diplomacy is key! :smiley:

i.e.
Can/do we make simple repairs ourselves like changing bulbs?
Do you have a workshop on site, or do we take motors to the workshop when we have faults?

Due to needing your Tacho card for driving assessments and taking weekly rests, it seems to me that changing company isn’t the easiest thing to to do in this game! So I’d want to ensure I was at a firm that didn’t expect me to drive with defects or face the sack, as that is a loss of income for X amount of time. Crap work I can cope with, as that wouldn’t impact my licence and I wouldn’t be in such a rush to move on. Trouble is what i’d be hoping to avoid, and how you say something is often more important than what you say. Something that often doesn’t across well in writing…

But I’m intrigued, how does wanting to run safe and legal translate to looking like a trouble maker? As I’d suggest it equally shows that you care about doing things right. I’d have thought asking about the damage access would be more worrying for an employer, as it could suggest that this is likely to quickly become relevant! :laughing:

you need to ask the following questions:

1. How do you treat drivers?
  2. What’s the pay per hour?
  3. Do you pay for breaks and POAs (yes, there are some companies that do not pay for POAs, including those that pay set weekly salary, any POAs you do, you are the one who pays for them)
  4. If pay set amount per week, how many hours do you need to do per week including POAs and breaks to earn your money?
  5. Who pays for damages caused?

These are the basic questions you need to ask

hkloss1:
you need to ask the following questions:

1. How do you treat drivers?
  2. What’s the pay per hour?
  3. Do you pay for breaks and POAs (yes, there are some companies that do not pay for POAs, including those that pay set weekly salary, any POAs you do, you are the one who pays for them)
  4. If pay set amount per week, how many hours do you need to do per week including POAs and breaks to earn your money?
  5. Who pays for damages caused?

These are the basic questions you need to ask

Not sure 1 & 5 are really appropriate. Look them in the eye and be attentive, don’t wear a suit just smart jeans or work trousers and a smart polo shirt, and wash your car too.

cheers for the replies guys
I will take your advice dozy lol
I was going to wear smart pants ■■■■ and tie, would I be better off in jeans and shirt? what do you think

also I will go in with a few good questions to ask them so its not all one way and will be careful how I phrase it, thanks

paddy1882:
I was going to wear smart pants [zb] and tie, would I be better off in jeans and shirt? what do you think

What I said above, has now worked 3 times for me !!

evil as you said its how you ask.

I wouldn’t employ someone who came into an interview asking what about defects/repairs/sickpay etc. phrased in the correct way yes its a sensible question but most will say oh its all done with blah blah in any case.

personally I would be having a look at the vehicles before attending and doing some research prior, but its class 2 so who cares.

First impressions count, so smile, shake hands, look smart, personally I think a smart pair of trousers is better than jeans, but I wouldn’t hold it against someone. ( I once interviewed a driver in the cab of his then employers truck! ).

Be prepared for an assessment.

Nothing wrong with asking questions, but be wary of asking too much which seems negative - as war1974 says,phrased properly it’s OK, but they are unlikely to say oh we don’t bother with defects and things like brakes… :wink:

I did a theory test, 80% pass mark req, then couple up properly ie lowering tractor suspension, drove around for about an hour, backed onto a bay then uncoupled. This was my first ever assessment and i was as nervous as my test. Passed though so relieved. I wore decent jeans, steel toecaps, Fred Perry type tshirt and a jumper so smart casual. Take some gloves and good luck.

If the interviewer is an “office bod”,as opposed to a ex-trucker type TM,emphasise that this is your first driving job,and ask whether you will be shown the basics regarding curtain handling,ratchet straps,tail lift operation etc.
An office bod will never have heard of these items :unamused:

paddy1882:
I was going to wear smart pants [zb] and tie, would I be better off in jeans and shirt? what do you think

My son went for an interview some time ago, he went dressed as I advised, in smart casual wear with a tie.
While he was waiting for the interview, some scroat tuned up in a dirty tee shirt and jeans asking if there were any driving jobs going?
The receptionist looked him up and down before giving him the good news that there were NO driving jobs on offer.
So didn’t even get as far as an interview.

bestbooties:

paddy1882:

My son went for an interview some time ago, he went dressed as I advised, in smart casual wear with a tie.
While he was waiting for the interview, some scroat tuned up in a dirty tee shirt and jeans asking if there were any driving jobs going?
The receptionist looked him up and down before giving him the good news that there were NO driving jobs on offer.
So didn’t even get as far as an interview.

At Driver Hire in Hull several years go if you turned up for a sign up interview in jeans, even if they were smart as suggested here, you didn’t get to have the interview. The guy running the branch was of the opinion that if you couldn’t even make an effort to turn up to a job interview as the modern world expects, you’re not going to be bothered to turn up to a client looking smart either.

I wouldn’t ask the questions about conditions until you were offered the job. Be polite be smart. Be yourself. Tell them you understand things don’t always go to plan. Most important say you are flexible

If after an assessment you get offered the job then you can check conditions. Then if they don’t suit you can say sorry I don’t want the job due to conditions. If they want you they might alter things. All good experience