Driving Road Sweepers [Merged]

Does anyone have experience of driving for a road sweeping company on class 2?

I have been looking into it but I’m having trouble understanding the terms of contract : Ticket.

Is this right? : As I understand it, I driver from the depot., to a site (dirty stretch of road / building site etc. )and sweep it. thus being paid a set amount to do it. I then drive unpaid to another site and the n get paid a set amount to do that… etc…

Are there any cons. to this type of work? such as being over worked by a company as some are exempt from drivers hours?

Any feedback appreciated

drive unpaid no no no :frowning:

not sure if all companys work the same. but the 1 a friend of mine work for paid all hours worked. plus if a customer hired the sweeper there was minimum 3hour rental and you did it in say 1hour 30 mins and the customer was happy for you to leave there they got a bonus.
also some were on call for work on the motorway if there was a accident at the weekend or during the night and were paid good money for this as well.

overall a good number with decent money. but very very boring that’s why some left and went back tramping

Correct me if im wrong , but as i know it , its now illegal to work and not be paid (as an empoyee -i might add). :exclamation:
The fact your still driving their vehicle from site to site -unpaid- questions that . and personally , why would you do it for nothing :question:
The ■■■■ things dont go above 40/45 mph , and what say if the next jobs an hour or two away :question:
Spose the cons are your on piece work and crack on ,,, supply and demand . You get to drive a left-■■■■■■ and have a good ■■■■ all day :grimacing: . Dont forget you will have to go to a tip site afterwards to empty the back out and fill up with water for the brushes too .. Will you get paid for that bit :question: Think you need to ask more questions and a better job description from the providing Employer to clarify. . Would this type of machine come under a Waste Control ticket :question: If so , Yes , you need training and a signing off ticket and possibly a Waste Cert too.
Or are you thinking of DIY sweeper and renting yourself out as man & machine :question:
Good luck with that , let us know how it goes :wink: , ( and not broom broom swish either :unamused: ).

Quote from the Sweeper Hire Industry Trust…
“This vocation suits residents who do not have English as a first language. Lack of common sense essential, must have a tendency to pull out infront of traffic and to let the sweepings blow out of the top of the sweeper once full. Lack of handsfree phone an advantage. Would suit an compulsive hoarder of litter (see dashboard) with questionable hygiene habits.
The ideal candidate would fail a CRB check and a two piece jigsaw puzzle test.
If you have parents who were related prior to marriage and can see people at opposite ends of a room without turning your head then we’d love you to join us via our parasol scheme.”

Can’t see why you would be exempt and the unpaid stint between scrub ups doesn’t seem quite right, either but there’s a couple on here who have experience of this work - expect they’ll be along soon.

I shift generators on utility and we have to run on tacho.

Evening, i have drove LGV johnson sweepers in past. 3 years. I can only comment on the exempt question: I drove for local council so was exempt.
A view of my payed day was, 7am clock in, 30 mins checks, grab work sheet for day and leave yard at 730. Usual 15 min break and 30 min lunch. Stop work at 2.30 2.45 to get back to yard. Empty, hose out, refuel both engines and refill with water if not freezing over night ready for morning. During day a few trips are required to leave site/area to empty out and return. All paid. Clock out 3.30.
Dont know if this helps. I take it you have drove sweepers before? Can get boring, very boring, and a crick in the neck is possible!!

Some firms have tickets with tables Work and Travel time - it might be they meant paid by ticket and on ticket you write travel time and on site time and total time.

haven’t done but have been no tacho exempt and worked on sites where sweepers work

only benefit I see is that if you are ready to work forever without stop with no rules you can earn big money - by being working non stop all week…

if someone tells you about breaks etc - its BS all non tacho companies run nonstop systems - none do breatk mileage time sheets all just run as they know no one checks them

I would say terrible job - dogs job but some like it…

kyk:
Some firms have tickets with tables Work and Travel time - it might be they meant paid by ticket and on ticket you write travel time and on site time and total time.

haven’t done but have been no tacho exempt and worked on sites where sweepers work

only benefit I see is that if you are ready to work forever without stop with no rules you can earn big money - by being working non stop all week…

if someone tells you about breaks etc - its BS all non tacho companies run nonstop systems - none do breatk mileage time sheets all just run as they know no one checks them

I would say terrible job - dogs job but some like it…

Apart from tacho exempt council jobs, where you have unions and rules and management and paye and pension and BS like that. Oh and a subsidised canteen which is full at 10am with nobody missing there break! Even if they leave yard at 9am!

Thanks for the info. fellow truckers :smiley:

I liked my time sweeping, had a big job at a university during the summer. Mmm, short skirts and flowery tops.

mucker85:
I liked my time sweeping, had a big job at a university during the summer. Mmm, short skirts and flowery tops.

Well, as long as you had your hi viz and stc boots, I guess they wouldn’t care about the rest :smiley: :smiley: