Love letter from a major firm

Hi People

Long time lurker - decided to finally join up.

Been in the driving game for quite some time but only recently had the absolute pleasure (not) working for a large UK wide firm. I shant say the name as you never know who is watching. I only took the job to get away from another hell hole I was working in. I shall remain fairly anonymous but it was working for an English depot (I’ve moved about a bit for family etc) on general day shift Class 1.

In interview stage I was told no one gets every weekend off and if I wanted a weekend off I would have to book it as a holiday. Like I said I took the job to get away from a shambles of a company. Was also told I would be a permenant 6am start - no start time changes. This was always going to be nothing more than a job till something better comes along as I don’t mind weekend work but not every single one.

Fast forward to when I started. Like others I had to do the 2 day induction in their training centre which also counted towards my CPC, which was nice. The trainers there really were brainwashed - you would think their mob were the best firm on Earth if you listened to them. Finally started the job by driving back from the training centre to the depot and asked about start time and without even looking away from her computer the ignorant cow barked 4 am with tomorrow off as a rest day. I asked was this 4 am shift a one off just until I’m settled etc and again without even looking away from her computer the bint barked “I can change your start time whenever I want and I say you’re starting at 4am”.

Anyway, not wanting to rock the boat on day one I started at 4am with the intention of speaking to the proper boss when he was in to get things sorted. Started at 4am and finished at 18:45 after a day of poxy multidrop here there and everywhere. I went into the office to hand keys back and asked about the following days start time and was told 4 am for pretty much the same again. Not being a push over I told the same bint from before that I’m tired and that isn’t happening. I’ll be in after 11hr. She went off her ■■■■. An argument ensued - told me I was refusing to carry out a reasonable request and all that crap. I walked out and didn’t even get out the car park when the phone went telling me they have found cover and to come in at 05:45. I said no thanks as I stood there taking your abuse for 15 minutes so I’ll be in at 6am, my proper start time and hung up.

This kind of attitude from the office staff went on for a few months - I learned that half the drivers were on Monday to Friday because they were on the “old contract” and when I asked why not just make everyone a rolling rota so we all get a shot of a weekend with the family I was told that it wasn’t fair to do that because the Monday Friday guys would have to give them up on occasion. Not fair to them plus people work weekends because that’s what they want to do. Bull crap. Almost everyone on the “new contract” bitched about it. Most drivers were there just waiting for something better to come up - myself included.

Nothing ever happed with the proper boss. He would promise to sort it out but never did. The planners all had their golden boys getting all the good stuff, getting their way etc. You all know the type I’m on about.

I lasted just over 5 months before finding a cushy depot to depot trunking job, proper fixed start time, handed my notice in and got out the place and never looked back. This new job is a keeper.

Two weeks later a love letter comes in the mail DEMANDING £500 for CPC costs. HAHAHA not happening. Not only was the place a hell hole to work in they want £500 for 2 days CPC? Don’t think so. I wrote back asking for proof of my liability to pay the costs and never heard back from them.

I never signed a contract. They posted two copies to me wanting one signed and sent back to them - which I never did as it did actually say I would be liable for costs. As I never sent it back I can only imagine they were trying to find it to show me that I’m liable. I would have loved the look on their face.

I’ve done many driving jobs over the years, good and bad. I was shocked at this one as they present such a professional image to the outside world when on the inside they treat you with complete contempt.

Anyway that was my wee rant over with to introduce myself.

Regards

Scottish

Ok then you started at stobarts.Did the induction did not like the work then went else were.Im sure you would have been told at the induction if you leave in the first year you have to pay.Now they want money and that amount will include the cost of uniform if none was handed back.

Man take job. Job rubbish. Man leave rubbish job.

Nothing to see here people. Move along, orderly manner now, let’s be havin you.

Welcome brother Scottish. You seem to have made a friend in fellow brother Scottish. Allow him to show you around, the tranquil room, meditation room, the enlightened room, the dusky maiden naughtyness room and the coffee facilities.

I think you will find that many people have had the same experience with this company…

Sounds like Gregorys … (spit)

Similar attitude.

It’s funny how someone instantly assumes I was working for Eddie Stobart. Having read the neumerous Stobart bashing posts on here I would love to say it was then we could all have a good moan about them, however in this instance sorry to dissapoint but it was not Stobart. As I said in my initial post I would prefer not to name names as I’m sure you can understand.

Re: Paying back costs. Generally I have no problem paying back what I owe. What I do have a problem with is a company that almost goes out their way to make their drivers lives a misery to the point they leave then shaft them one final time for training costs as a final goodbye. Having a brother Solicitor comes in handy at times like this if they try to recover costs from me. They can whistle.

I can understand everything you said as your point of view apart from the bit where you expect the drivers on mon-fri to change their shifts to suit you,sorry but your asking way too much there your issue is with the management of the place whatever agreement was in place with other drivers is nothing to do with you.

The only way to stop this is for people to grow some. If there really is a shortage don’t work for the shysters.

Are you Dozies Scottish cousin?

Send them back a letter saying

You can chase me for the 500 pound ya roasters

:laughing:

Welcome to Trucknet mate, you are nearly through your initiation ceremony, so just keep yourself strapped in and try and enjoy the ride. :laughing:

I admit I just kinda skimmed through your post, I see some of your points, but some of the comments from the lads on here are correct.

I’m all for drivers standing up for themselves, but when you are a new starter you need to get the balance right between standing up, keeping a low profile, and not coming across as being arsey. (Not saying you did btw)

What I would say is why do firms like this think that they have to be so bloody rude towards their drivers, that bird sounds a real charmer.
Me personally, I would not even consider working for the type of co. you mention, where you are spoon fed by ‘planners’ told how and when to do every bloody thing, constantly watched, not allowed, or encouraged, to use your own initiative, and talked down to, but I suppose I am old fashioned.

As for having to pay back, Only you know if you were told prior to your training, if nothing was told to you or agreed by both parties, ■■■■ them.

What have you got to lose by naming and shaming if everything you say is an accurate account, rather than a libelous inaccuracy. :bulb:

xichrisxi:
I can understand everything you said as your point of view apart from the bit where you expect the drivers on mon-fri to change their shifts to suit you,sorry but your asking way too much there your issue is with the management of the place whatever agreement was in place with other drivers is nothing to do with you.

+1 :wink:

merc0447:
Send them back a letter saying

You can chase me for the 500 pound ya roasters

:laughing:

And make sure you add, as your friendly bank would, a charge for the time and advice taken, in sending them the return correspondence. I’m thinking ball park £500 should do :wink:

I can understand why the OP doesn’t want to mention the firm, as at present it appears they have unfinished business…
Personally, if i’d signed up for 6am start times day in day out, I’d be arriving at work at 6am no matter what the rude lady barked at me.
But that would depend on me not being desperate for the work, and having alternatives, if not, I’d wind my neck right in! :laughing:

It’s a sad reality (in all industries) that when there is a glut of willing/desperate workers, they tend to get treated like crap…

xichrisxi:
I can understand everything you said as your point of view apart from the bit where you expect the drivers on mon-fri to change their shifts **to suit you,**sorry but your asking way too much there your issue is with the management of the place whatever agreement was in place with other drivers is nothing to do with you.

So much for drivers unity and equality :laughing:
Its OK to be united as long as it suit you, next thing you know a Lithuanian is taking your place because you refuse to work Sat or Sun :smiling_imp:

Dolph:
next thing you know a Lithuanian is taking your place because you refuse to work Sat or Sun :smiling_imp:

I’d be more worried about the East Euros trying to move in on the depot to depot trunking work than a zb multi drop job. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

Dolph:

xichrisxi:
I can understand everything you said as your point of view apart from the bit where you expect the drivers on mon-fri to change their shifts **to suit you,**sorry but your asking way too much there your issue is with the management of the place whatever agreement was in place with other drivers is nothing to do with you.

Its OK to be united as long as it suit you, next thing you know a Lithuanian is taking your place because you refuse to work Sat or Sun :smiling_imp:

I united with everyone,as long as it suits me :smiley:

xichrisxi:

Dolph:

xichrisxi:

You know it goes both ways :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Dolph:

xichrisxi:

Its OK to be united as long as it suit you, :

Driver unity would be all right if it were a race to the top, but what the OP was advocating was a worsening of long serving drivers contracts, that’s a race to the bottom, do you really think that’s the right way to go :unamused:

Dolph:

xichrisxi:

Dolph:

xichrisxi:

You know it goes both ways :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, my way or the highway :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
I can understand why the OP doesn’t want to mention the firm, as at present it appears they have unfinished business…
Personally, if i’d signed up for 6am start times day in day out, I’d be arriving at work at 6am no matter what the rude lady barked at me.
But that would depend on me not being desperate for the work, and having alternatives, if not, I’d wind my neck right in! :laughing:

So what your saying Evil is you would just do as your told then.