No Shoes???

Went for a little ■■■ session earlier in the week, otherwise known as driver CPC or 7 hours of purgatory. The only thing that I can really remember from the so called “Health & Safety” module was the instructor stating that it is an offence to drive a large goods vehicle without shoes on in the UK.

Didn’t really think much of it at the time but then I recalled my time in Scandinavia.
Nearly every Danish, Norwegian or Swedish driver that I encountered put their shoes/boots on the top step and the first time I had to drive someone else’s motor got a bollocking from “the man from IKEA” for not doing the same.

Most of those Scandi-drivers don’t even wear boots, they wear safety slippers that look a bit like clogs with no protection around the heel or back of the ankle.

Not such a bad idea on a long run but it was a ■■■■■■■ nuisance when on local jobs running tarmac in tippers.
Had to get out 3-4 times at the loading point to weigh-in or out, and load the trailer in 3 stages, front, middle
& back (see pictures).

So 2 questions… Is it actually an offence to drive without health & safety approved foot wear or CPC ■■■■■■■■ and how come the whole Scandinavian “don’t veaarr urr shoozz in da cabin urrv der truckk” concept has never really caught on here??

veidekke1.jpg

Veidekke2.jpg

SM = Sado-Masso :question:

We get told often enough what we can and can’t wear when out of cab,once back in that’s my domain,can’t beat driving with nowt on except an erection :blush: :blush:

As far as I’m aware there is no law which specifically states it’s an offence not to wear shoes while driving, but you could be prosecuted if it was considered that you didn’t have control of the vehicle because you weren’t wearing shoes.

As for not wearing H&S shoes spec shoes/boots in a truck, I can’t see it being an issue unless it’s company policy.

This is a little general, but I can’t find anything specific to trucks. I suspect however if you have a crash, there could be a lot of questions unless you’re wearing something suitable. The shoes mentioned in the question do sound suitable I’d say.

rac.co.uk/community/blog/rac … it-illegal

“it is not illegal to drive in the UK with no shoes on. You can, in other words, get behind the wheel of a vehicle barefoot, provided you are able to operate the controls safely”.

I was only told never to drive without some form of good footwear. If you have a crash and you’re walking wounded then you aren’t going to have glass cutting up the soles of your feet.

Total ■■■■■■■■. You can drive barefoot, in socks, or with ski boots on if you like.

Its an offence to not be in control of your vehicle, if you have chosen unsuitable footwear then that is on your back of you have an incident.

Too many people pretend things are “offences” and you’ll get done, sadly a lot of them are plastic instructors :unamused:

Illegal or not I think it makes absolute sense to anyone with the slightest bit of common sense that to drive bare footed is just silly for many reasons.

shep532:
Illegal or not I think it makes absolute sense to anyone with the slightest bit of common sense that to drive bare footed is just silly for many reasons.

I agree totally Shep, but for some jumped up plastic instructor telling you its an offence is bloody ridiculous, and is indicative of everything that is wrong in this industry.

when I was tramping and travelling a fair distance between drops I wore a pair of steel toecapped mules when out of the cab then slipped them off to the left of the steering column (auto box) when I got back in . now im on local (builders merchant ) and in the mud when im out of the cab I wear boots all the time.

Euro drivers used to wear wooden clogs covered in real Friesian or Hereford cow fur, I am not joking, a real pro would have a six foot long metal chain attached to a wallet with six weeks of running money to pay for fuel and tolls.
The chain attached to the trousers where the belt slides through.
Years ago we had no credit cards,fuel cards or mobile phones.

Germany you have to wear shoes . Flip flops/clogs are not acceptable.

I drive in just my socks when on a long run, other times it’s just comfortable trainers. I don’t feel comfortable wearing big clumpy safety shoes when at the wheel. I find I don’t feel the pedals as well. Racing drivers basically just wear a pair of socks with a thin strip of hide along the bottom.

When I used to drive a van doing parcels I used to in the summer drive home barefoot as my feet were steaming :laughing:

shep532:

Why? Not having a pop Shep, just interested to hear why you think it’s silly? We don’t expect people to wear gloves to drive, so why dictate footwear?

I once filled up with fuel, pulled away from the pump and lightly applied to brakes, my (booted) foot slipped off the pedal because I had diesel on the sole. No big drama that time, but if I had taken my boots off prior to driving it wouldn’t have happened.

Steel toe cap “Euro -router” shoes never got past the stop step, comfy slippers in the drivers footwell. Clean cab floor, comfy feet, where’s the problem ?

People have lost the ability to think for themselves, and do what is right for them, each to his own, one man’s meat, I could go on.

What would you class as a good pair of driving slippers??

So do you keep your Mr sheene close to hand as well ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

joe royal:
Germany you have to wear shoes . Flip flops/clogs are not acceptable.

I’d like to see where that is stated “officially” ■■ Been driving germany too many years to remember and been stopped way too many times to remember and am one of the many bare foot/socks drivers on here!

the maoster:

shep532:

Why? Not having a pop Shep, just interested to hear why you think it’s silly? We don’t expect people to wear gloves to drive, so why dictate footwear?

I once filled up with fuel, pulled away from the pump and lightly applied to brakes, my (booted) foot slipped off the pedal because I had diesel on the sole. No big drama that time, but if I had taken my boots off prior to driving it wouldn’t have happened.

I’m quite certain that if I had to brake in an emergency being bare footed would be a problem and reduce my braking effort. Of course you/others may have leathery old feet like a cave man but I haven’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

The steering wheel is nice and smooth and soft and designed for bare skin. A brake pedal is actually designed for someone with shoes/boots on. A brake pedal also requires a fair bit of force being applied at times - unlike a steering wheel which tends to be constant.

I also imagine that in an emergency the right foot goes from throttle to brake pedal pretty quick - I can’t imagine the impact on the sole of the foot - and what if you stubbed yer toe on the way …

I do thousands of miles by motorbike and wouldn’t normally consider doing any of them without full protective clothing - never needed it but just in case. However this year I rode into Madrid city centre in skinny soled summer shoes and cocked up on a roundabout meaning a frantic application of the brakes. I normally ride on my back brake in towns so my immediate reaction was a quick stab on the rear brake pedal as I had it covered - it hurt and my automatic reaction was ease off the pedal. I must just be a softie. :blush:

And before anyone criticises my back brake riding style - modern bike, linked brakes, ABS etc etc it ain’t a problem :wink: well actually in me girlie shoes it was :blush:

I guess it’s all about how you look at risk … Some people think there’s no risk climbing a ladder - tell that to someone who’s fallen off one and lives in a wheelchair now. Any risk assessment would identify suitable footwear needs to be worn to drive.

But I’ll bow to others years of experience - 'cos I’ve never driven in my socks before :grimacing: