Max 48 hours per week average... Am I missing something?

old 67:
So one of our " progressive " members in the EU has his latest brainwave. He ignores the real world and says lets make the maximum working week 48 hours for everyone. But some weeks the worker might need to work more than 48 hours. Your just being awkward now, but ok, we will make it an average of 48 hours over a fixed period of time, happy now ? We have just been told that lots of workers would like the chance to work more than 48 hours, and industry have told us they might as well shut up shop if this goes ahead. OK just to keep you happy they can opt out if they want…but not them lorry drivers, you’ve got to leave me and my new law something!
But lorry driving is the one job that’s always had to work long hours, that’s why we’ve always kept their hourly rate down, we still need them to put the hours in.
I wish you’d stop picking holes in my new law. Here’s what we’ll do. All the time lorry drivers spend at work but are not actually doing anything, won’t count as working hours OK ? We’ll call it POA. Let me see if I’ve got this straight, everyone can opt out if the want, except lorry drivers who can do 15 hours per day by using your POA idea?
Yes that’s right, happy now ? Well no, not really, the 48 HOUR thing is now totally point less. Should we not just scrap the whole idea ?
You’ve gone too far now, the EU does not have any pointless laws, and we never get it wrong…by the way, did I mention my latest idea to make it against the law to whistle in public places ?
Sorry lads just my whimsical take on the whole sorry mess [emoji38]
Regards. John.

Lol that’s the best thing I’ve read in ages. Makes perfect sense for once :slight_smile:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk