Safer lorries

nyk473l:

LIBERTY_GUY:

peirre:

LIBERTY_GUY:
the terminally stupid.

That’ll be Boris then …

Now you should be able to spot HIM with that mop of white hair.

The ‘windows’ go into the lower part of the door, the bit above the step so out the way of any winder mechanisms, but those that night out will need to have some mini frilly curtains made up to cover that intrusion into their cabs. I don’t want to see ‘truck cleavage’ through that orifice… :open_mouth:

I recently drove a truck with cameras all around that patched the image onto a single screen to give a panoramic view around the truck. All very good except that some cyclists are still rushing up the side of trucks when the lights have changed and the truck is actually in motion. Just remember it not all about cyclists, we also have to look out for pedestrians, traffic signals, what the other vehicles are up to, street furniture, clearance issues, road markings, as well as looking for streets or turnoffs either via satnav or eyeballing. Even Marty Feldman couldn’t look in both mirrors at the same time and manage to look at a camera screen…

None of this will reduce the deaths, as it is the cyclists that keep putting themselves in those lethal situations to begin with.

Sorry to disagree, but a mate of mine had a new FM earlier this year, which had one of these windows fitted. As a result of the conversion, the nearside door window could not be lowered.

The ‘visibility windows’ I have seen are tiny little things, probably less than a foot square. They at floor level in the cabs and right at the front of the doors. In that position they shouldn’t intrude into the winder mechanisms, but if they do on some makes of truck, that is going to cause real problems with complying with this latest ‘requirement’. Ultimately there has to be a cut off point where hauliers need to say enough is enough, grow a pair and tell Boris and his mates that trucks in London will no longer be a problem as they won’t be going in there again.