Truckers Who Run

Is anyone on here a member of the Facebook group of the same name? It’s a group of truckers trying to get/stay fit.

I’m an active person and having just started tramping I’m keen to make an effort to keep fit, I run on an evening and have found a gym near where I park up some nights.

Has anyone got any tips on how they stay fit?

Keen to follow this as I’m in a similar position.

No gym at the moment due to work but work does involve a fair bit of lift and shift and my pint lifting arm has been getting beasted recently. I run 3-5 times a week usually too.

I’m hopefully starting a tramping job soon and don’t fancy turning into a chubster. I eat good and have no problem clean eating when I’m away all week.

Anywhere to stick a pull-up bar on an artic? :laughing:

A.

We do general haulage, 12 ratchet straps can feel like a bit of a work out at times!

We run out of Metsa widnes a lot and where we park there’s a gym that charge £4 including shower so can’t complain.

not a runner myself but would like to get fit,i would not even know where to start,if I join a gym I could only do weekends due to the hours I work [same as most hgv drivers]

Would be great if one of the large gym groups i.e Bannatynes DW Fitness had places near ind estates as well as town centres and did say a price structure for HGV drivers for say £20 a month. It’s slmost impossible to find a gym where you can park a 44 tonne artic easily and not worry about causing grief.
I used to go to the gym at least3-4 times a week from 17 years of age upto about 24 and loved it. Found a good sesh on the weights and a 15 mins in the sauna/steam room chilled me out no end and Id sleep like a log :smiley: just bought some resistance bands from Bodylastics UK to try and get back into some shape (still got the stocky set from the gym just a bit more timber around the gut :smiley: ) they’re a lot easier to cart around in the truck than a set of Dumbbells so see how it goes, but been tramping 10 year now and find it hard to eat healthy especially with the lack of choice at service stations and truckstops up untill about 3-4 year ago.

Why can’t you just lock the truck and go for a quick 3 mile run?
Gyms are a waste of money, just follow a programme like “couch to ten K”, or the US army does a good twelve week program based on walk to run and bodyweight. I followed it and sent from lardy couldn’t run to the top of my street, to reasonably fit and strong in twelve weeks:

goarmy.com/content/dam/goar … -guide.pdf

And I didn’t get any injuries, even though I was seventeen stone and running on pavement.

It would be good if more gyms did “day passes” or you could pay a central company so much and use any gym, there’s often a few of them about on industrial estates or near lorry parks.

I do run but can’t if there’s no shower available when I get back.

I run myself proberbly average about 15-20 miles a week usually with couple of 5-6 mile runs then a long 1 on Saturday or Sunday morning up in the Derbyshire Peak District makes it all worth it when I’m stuck in London for hours ! On a site . I don’t tramp all week but do the occasional night out and must admit I’ve always been tempted to go out and do a few miles wile parked up but never got round to it I must get round to keeping some kit and trainers in the cab .

There some good plans to get u started like couch to 5k or just get out there and try it by walk run walk till u can run comfortable also running clubs are good to motivate u I run for a local club in local leagues on both road Cross country or Fell racing :slight_smile: Parkruns are also a great thing to do there free and there’s loads on round the country every Saturday morning .

Also there plenty off good Apps like Strava to map your runs and log your mileage for u I also have Garmin watch . I could run a mile when I started out so if I can do it anyone can !

A young lad in our place goes for a jog when he is on a night out, I had to move his unit the other day, I went into my wagon and got my fabreez and zapped his mingin trainers in the footwell :neutral_face:

Next time I see you Drift, im gonna chuck an old sock in your cab.

As long as she ain’t too ugly :wink:

Lol. You out of that dinky toy yet mate?

Nope, still clocking up big miles in her, and good money so not too fussed :sunglasses:
I keep beeping yellow wagons though :laughing:

Haha, nice one mate. Colour is changing on Monday though fella!!

Why? Are you canning teams?

Adonis.:
Anywhere to stick a pull-up bar on an artic? :laughing:

Use the straps hanging from the roof, Just buy a good pair of gloves,

Find a field near where you parked up and have a little run around it, a few laps dependant on the size, I used to do it in my steel toecap boots, you need to buy some good insoles the extra weight on them dose wonders your your legs and cardio. (I used to do myne on my lunch break before eating)

Also forgot take a solar shower (if in a layby)

Also this is great for resistance work in restricted areas (in cab)

ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Elastic-Yo … 58c8b8d316

It was a standard issue to us in afghanistan when we were sat for over 18hrs in the same place locked in our cab, to pass the time we used it to get Buff :unamused:

Remember there are the likes of Pure gym which are 24 hr & you can use any one of them they not all in town centres some are easy to get to

Met a driver not long ago who used his phone to find the nearest local council gym & pool he parked new it go do his work out use there showers back to cab

truckman020:
not a runner myself but would like to get fit,i would not even know where to start,if I join a gym I could only do weekends due to the hours I work [same as most hgv drivers]

there are 24 hour gyms all over the county

Why pay to use a gym? Just get some proper gear and do it by yourself, much cheaper you won’t feel like a plonk because people keep looking at you and running in the elements is a lot more better than running on a treadmill, stops the boredom. Also outside you can do it 24hrs a day.
If you worried about safety, just take your phone with you.

IVE been for 10 k this morning as my new hours at wilko are 230 730 doh :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: