Another cyclist killed in london

In Bank.

Thoughts with the girls family and the driver. Not a nice day for any of them.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33223823

That quote from the Green Party really annoyed me as well. “Ban all tipper trucks in rush hour”. Guilty until proven innocent as always.

In this case, we don’t know if it was a cyclist chancing up the inside of a driver not paying attention. But adding another ban on trucks in London surely can’t be the answer?

What is it with tipper trucks though, I’ve never driven one but is there some big design flaw in them that just makes them more of a hazard to bikes?

Double post!

Personally I’d ban ALL trucks in London, then make all the people come out to the M25 to get their stuff.

Was speaking to a haulier last week that told me a ‘London Spec’ truck would cost £15,000 more new, which was a price he couldn’t afford.

Hammy747:
What is it with tipper trucks though, I’ve never driven one but is there some big design flaw in them that just makes them more of a hazard to bikes?

No design flaw with tippers, just some of the drivers are on bonus schemes that encourage them to get in as many loads as possible. Technically that is illegal, but still a widespread practice. Cyclists need to be aware of the dangers of larger vehicles on the roads and be educated about drivers blind spots etc.

Hammy747:

No, it’s just that a lot of them are driven by Brain Dead Neanderthals, in a hurry to get their next Bonus Load, the more they do, the more Wonga they make.
(Allegedly)
(they won’t admit to a productivity bonus, because they are illegal)

martinviking:

Hammy747:

No, it’s just that a lot of them are driven by Brain Dead Neanderthals, in a hurry to get their next Bonus Load, the more they do, the more Wonga they make.
(Allegedly)
(they won’t admit to a productivity bonus, because they are illegal)[/quote
That may be the case but the cyclists still need to be educated about the dangers.
But ■■■■■■■■ Boris won’t do anything about it he thinks they can do no wrong.

Time to make a law, (if there isn’t already one), so that it is illegal for cyclists to undertake, in the same lane, any LGV/HGV/PSV vehicles. It’s for their own safety. In America pedestrians are not allowed to cross the road unless at a junction (Jay walking) this is for their safety. It is time to enforce a rule here to protect cyclists from themselves.

j1973:
Time to make a law, (if there isn’t already one), so that it is illegal for cyclists to undertake, in the same lane, any LGV/HGV/PSV vehicles. It’s for their own safety. In America pedestrians are not allowed to cross the road unless at a junction (Jay walking) this is for their safety. It is time to enforce a rule here to protect cyclists from themselves.

Very good point and gets my vote.

Fire it off to the heads at TFL…

I would ban everything over 7.5 ton from the centre of London.

With the special application to drive anything above 7.5 the same as abnormal loads.
Only if there is no other possible way to get the load to site. if can’t be broken down into smaller loads.

j1973:

As a cyclist myself, I agree. I saw a video on YouTube demonstrating 10 cyclists hiding in a lorries blindspot (if I find the video I’ll post it), a fact all lorry drivers should be aware of, but cyclists aren’t. Cyclists need to take responsibility for themselves.

The green party obviously now agree that cyclists and large trucks can’t be mixed in London’s dense traffic environment.In which case I’d agree with a truck ban between 07.00-10.00 and 16.00-19.00.But by the same logic that obviously means a cycle ban at all other times.

There is a new law come Sept this year to do with side guards for 3.5t to the max weight no matter what age the truck are. That 8 legger is fitted with them but sill a death :cry:
Welly.

Captain Caveman 76:

j1973:

As a cyclist myself, I agree. I saw a video on YouTube demonstrating 10 cyclists hiding in a lorries blindspot (if I find the video I’ll post it), a fact all lorry drivers should be aware of, but cyclists aren’t. Cyclists need to take responsibility for themselves.

You mean this one.Yes he dose just seen on another post.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y9E1_1M-qhU

I don’t suppose these incidents could have anything to do with this could they?
road.cc/154913

LIBERTY_GUY:
Personally I’d ban ALL trucks in London, then make all the people come out to the M25 to get their stuff.

Was speaking to a haulier last week that told me a ‘London Spec’ truck would cost £15,000 more new, which was a price he couldn’t afford.

Hammy747:

No design flaw with tippers, just some of the drivers are on bonus schemes that encourage them to get in as many loads as possible. Technically that is illegal, but still a widespread practice. Cyclists need to be aware of the dangers of larger vehicles on the roads and be educated about drivers blind spots etc.

Although not great, bonus schemes and % paid isn’t illegal!!!

Having read the scandalously agenda-driven garbage on this accident which the Evening Standard has run this afternoon I cannot for the life of me understand why the FTA and the RHA are not taking any steps to ensure these things are reported on fairly, and getting across the work the haulage industry in general has done so far to prevent them.

Until the industry gets its side of the story across, it will continue to be hung out to dry in the popular press every time there is an accident involving a truck and a cyclist, which will lead to the uninformed continuing to call for more safety gear, lorry bans, FORS being obligatory and all the other garbage. Hauliers pay for all these while facilities to encourage cyclists are bankrolled to the tune of millions by the taxpayer.

Most tippers are payed per load.

1 load = 25£ make 5 loads 125. make 4 loads 100. See what i did here?

company’s run bonus schemes cash in hand to hide them from interested parties.

Aswel as there are few bad drivers and 50% cyclists have no driving license, and totally clueless about the dangers on the road with lorrys.

Themoocher:
I would ban everything over 7.5 ton from the centre of London.

With the special application to drive anything above 7.5 the same as abnormal loads.
Only if there is no other possible way to get the load to site. if can’t be broken down into smaller loads.

D’you mind me asking mate; are you actually a lorry driver by trade?

If you’re not (and I don’t think you are judging by the sheer crassness of that post) then FYI a 7.5 tonne truck has a typical payload of 3 tonnes. Taking your post literally, that would mean that just one single 8-legger load of ballast for a construction site (and there are probably dozens if not hundreds every day in central London) would have to be sent in by six or seven lorries instead. Would you mind telling me how that would improve things?

I know i know.

If you multiply Lorry’s by 7, London would grind to a halt. Not moving traffic = safe traffic. Problem solved. Hehe.

tango boy:

LIBERTY_GUY:

Hammy747:

Although not great, bonus schemes and % paid isn’t illegal!!!

I can’t remember the exact wording when I read up on it a few days, but it has to do with payment schemes that encourage drivers to drive in a reckless manner, but that would obviously have to be proved in court on a case by case basis. There is no doubt when you hammering along ramping up your earnings, the potential for accidents increases too.

Biggest danger with trucks (for me), is cabphones where some drivers get hassled by the traffic office, when trying to concentrate in busy town centres. That has enormous potential for increasing accidents too. :imp:

Focus on the cyclists and if you get Boris in your sights…

if the green party called for all tipper trucks to be banned during rush hour
i have a good idea maybe the cyclists can haul around 32tonnes of gravel in rush hour instead