George Walker Transport

hi there,

anybody works/ have worked for them? what are pay rates, shift length etc.

any info would be appreciated, ta :slight_smile:

Walkers, Morley?

yes :slight_smile:

I’ve not actually worked for them, but used to work for a company that ran out of their yard.

Their yard is palletways northern hub now, so I’d have thougt that a vast majority of work it pallet ways multi drop.

Far as I know they are salaried, but from what a lot of drivers said that def doesn’t works in the favour of the driver! Most of the lads used to start around 6/7am I think.

Somebody else on here might be able to offer some first hand experience?

I spoke to one of there drivers a while back, first trailer 3 drops then back to the yard for a trailer swap and 14 more drops, the driver stated he only put up with it because the yard was 10 mins from his house.

roadrunner:
I spoke to one of there drivers a while back, first trailer 3 drops then back to the yard for a trailer swap and 14 more drops, the driver stated he only put up with it because the yard was 10 mins from his house.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: so 17 drops in a shift,always wondered why my instincts kept me away from this firm,

yorkshire terrier:

roadrunner:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: so 17 drops in a shift,always wondered why my instincts kept me away from this firm,

On that particular day yes, they have a reputation for not taking any prisoners, same goes for class 2, another driver used to call in everyday at the builders merchant i used to work at, for his daily collection of packs of bricks on pallets,they were always trying to overload his 18 tonner. They always assumed a pack of bricks weighs 1 tonne. 1 Pack of Terca Kassandra’s weighs 1.85 tonne, he would always call the office to explain the situation, with no joy from them at all.

roadrunner:

yorkshire terrier:

roadrunner:

On that particular day yes, they have a reputation for not taking any prisoners, same goes for class 2, another driver used to call in everyday at the builders merchant i used to work at, for his daily collection of packs of bricks on pallets,they were always trying to overload his 18 tonner. They always assumed a pack of bricks weighs 1 tonne. 1 Pack of Terca Kassandra’s weighs 1.85 tonne, he would always call the office to explain the situation, with no joy from them at all.

Sound like one to avoid to me…

Ive seen one of their 4 wheeler drivers knocking about here and there for at least 10yrs,hes not the thinnest fella and he dunt rush round so im guessing its not graft :neutral_face:

seth 70:
Ive seen one of their 4 wheeler drivers knocking about here and there for at least 10yrs,hes not the thinnest fella and he dunt rush round so im guessing its not graft :neutral_face:

The same said driver was expected to pump truck pallets of bricks among other types of heavy goods up sloping residential driveways in Huddersfield, i.e very steep, all by himself. I would want to see the risk assessment sheet for that type of delivery. I suppose it depends on the run you get and if your face fits.

roadrunner:

seth 70:

The same said driver was expected to pump truck pallets of bricks among other types of heavy goods up sloping residential driveways in Huddersfield, i.e very steep, all by himself. I would want to see the risk assessment sheet for that type of delivery. I suppose it depends on the run you get and if your face fits.

I was just saying m8,its his silly daft fault for doing that bollox isnt it really,he must like it :neutral_face:

All the above sounds about right, however I didn’t want to put in my 1st reply and put you off!

Any idea as to what the night trunking is like anyone?

work there 16 year a go ,hated it ,5 month I lasted,sxxt place to work for :imp:

I started with them couple months back. I enjoy he work, get left alone as long as you get the job done. PM if you want any info.

Sorry to resserect an old thread but any more upto date details?

htfc1984:

Still constantly recruiting!

Used to run out of their yard in a previous job. If I was after a new job they’d be towards the bottom of my list!

mbax81:

htfc1984:

Still constantly recruiting!

Used to run out of their yard in a previous job. If I was after a new job they’d be towards the bottom of my list!

Similar reasons then as above I take it?

I’d say so. I see them out and about, some of the drivers I recognise from when we were up there, who will have been there years, so some must be able to put up with it!

mbax81:
I’d say so. I see them out and about, some of the drivers I recognise from when we were up there, who will have been there years, so some must be able to put up with it!

They look to have a decent fleet and are close by