This supposed shortage of drivers

When are wages going to go up to reflect this?

I can’t see it happening as all that I think will happen is more Eastern Europeans will come over and take the jobs.

Tris:

I can’t see it happening as all that I think will happen is more Eastern Europeans will come over and take the jobs.

I think in a lot of cases there has already been pay raises for many drivers, down to a lot of older guys deciding the derisory dcpc was the last straw for them. Whether the raises were substantial enough is down to individual cases and opinions.

So here we go, this thread will now turn into the usual 6 page predictive and boring knocking of East European or …Johnny Foreigner :unamused: type posts.
These EE guys love them or hate them (the latter being in the majority to most on here :unamused: ) are only guilty of moving abroad for better wages …just like a lot of us Brits did when the Dutch were paying far better wages than the UK firms :bulb: …so what is the difference. Whether it is fair to UK drivers is another argument, but I would say to the moaners about this, of which there are many,… life is tough, deal with it.

I’ve met some quite tall drivers so I disagree.

robroy:

Tris:

I think in a lot of cases there has already been pay raises for many drivers, down to a lot of older guys deciding the derisory dcpc was the last straw for them. Whether the raises were substantial enough is down to individual cases and opinions.

So here we go, this thread will now turn into the usual 6 page predictive and boring knocking of East European or …Johnny Foreigner :unamused: type posts.
These EE guys love them or hate them (the latter being in the majority to most on here :unamused: ) are only guilty of moving abroad for better wages …just like a lot of us Brits did when the Dutch were paying far better wages than the UK firms :bulb: …so what is the difference. Whether it is fair to UK drivers is another argument, but I would say to the moaners about this, of which there are many,… life is tough, deal with it.

Nothing against them. Most of the Poles I know I get on with really well and take my hat off to them. Not sure I could move over to Poland if the boot was on the other foot. No need to turn this into a race thing, but there does need to be protection for the living standards of those who were born here. :confused:

We all agree that we should be on a better wage doing this job but, were do you think the extra money would come from? do you know how much your truck earns a week and do you know how much profit is left out of those earning and could your employer increase the rate you want out of that profit?

weeto:
We all agree that we should be on a better wage doing this job but, were do you think the extra money would come from? do you know how much your truck earns a week and do you know how much profit is left out of those earning and could your employer increase the rate you want out of that profit?

Following the plague there was a shortage of labour and the feudal system took a massive hit. That was the biggest turning point for working people’s standards of living in the past 1000 years. WW1 also had a similar effect. Eastern European immigrants only benefit keeping the rich rich. The specifics you wa to get into are irrelevant to the big picture and the precedents that back it up.

If there had been an EU in the Middle Ages (and they hadn’t seen their populations reduced by plague too…) it could be argued we’d still be living in serfdom. If there hadn’t been hundreds of thousands killed in ww1 Downton Abbey would still be going strong. All these immigrants do for us is take us backwards. It’s not rocket science.

not so much a shortage of drivers, more so an abundance of s.hite jobs.

RHA spokesman on BBC breakfast this morning …

45000 current shortage

15000 more due to retire within next 12 months

only half of those taking test pass it leaving public to think that half never pass !!

I agree with maga. Its the business of squeezing every last drop out of you that stinks. Especially frustrating if you are salaried.

ROG:

45000 current shortage

only half of those taking test pass it leaving public to think that half never pass !!

That’s good news. Now we just need UKIP and the SNP to keep the pressure up on the Lab/Con establishment.

ROG:

45000 current shortage

this is what I can’t understand, 45000 is a sizeable number and if tomorrow that amount of lorries were put on the road it would be visibly noticeable.

why is it then whenever I order something online 99% of the time its delivered the next day with no problems. Even things coming from other countries are in my hands within 2-3 no matter where they may have came from. Every time I go to the shops or supermarkets all the the shelves are stocked and very rarely is something i need out of stock.

what exactly are these extra drivers needed for? am I missing something?

Tris:

weeto:

Following the plague there was a shortage of labour and the feudal system took a massive hit. That was the biggest turning point for working people’s standards of living in the past 1000 years. WW1 also had a similar effect. Eastern European immigrants only benefit keeping the rich rich. The specifics you wa to get into are irrelevant to the big picture and the precedents that back it up.

If there had been an EU in the Middle Ages (and they hadn’t seen their populations reduced by plague too…) it could be argued we’d still be living in serfdom. If there hadn’t been hundreds of thousands killed in ww1 Downton Abbey would still be going strong. All these immigrants do for us is take us backwards. It’s not rocket science.

And that means what exactly? earnings in this industry have always been low, certainly was when I started 26 years ago, yes you had, like you have now, jobs that paid well but they are few and far between.
The low rate earned by truck drivers does not have anything to do with the influx of eu drivers coming here to earn a living, what they are doing, is coming here to do the jobs uk nationals aren’t prepared to or to lazy to do.

weeto:
what they are doing, is coming here to do the jobs uk nationals aren’t prepared to or to lazy to do.

For the lower rate that the EU drivers are prepared to accept and their employers are still legal by paying just above NMW.

weeto:

Tris:

weeto:

And that means what exactly? earnings in this industry have always been low, certainly was when I started 26 years ago, yes you had, like you have now, jobs that paid well but they are few and far between.
The low rate earned by truck drivers does not have anything to do with the influx of eu drivers coming here to earn a living, what they are doing, is coming here to do the jobs uk nationals aren’t prepared to do.

That argument is bull. There are a lot of myths such as foreigners working harder and foreigners doing jobs we don’t want.

They might work harder for a start just like every new starter does, and they might work harder for a start because they don’t have a safety net like youngsters born here do - no mummy and daddy to fall back on, but once they get settled they are no different to a British worker.

Then there’s the biggest myth of them doing jobs we don’t want. They do these jobs because they can afford to do them. When you’ve got 6 of them living in a student dig splitting the rent they can live off the minimum wage.

What you are saying is that we should all just accept that we must keep letting more and more in, and we should all just accept a drop in living standards compared to what our parents enjoyed, to raise the standard of living of the company owners.

Its a tricky situation. The more drivers that say no to £8 ph,the more EE drivers will come,thus weakening the situation further.

eagerbeaver:
Its a tricky situation. The more drivers that say no to £8 ph,the more EE drivers will come,thus weakening the situation further.

That’ll be British workers being lazy. :unamused:

Tris:

weeto:

Why don’t you blame it on the Romans… because what have the Romans ever done for us?

Some drivers are Lazy Tris,and think the world owes them a living. But there are others who work for a low wage who have had their workload increase week by week until they are grafting like a slave for a poor wage. These drivers understandably say cheerio,and then Gustav comes along and is happy as a pig in muck.

No easy solution IMO.

Then there is the thousands of British people passed there test and willing to drive a truck for £8 an hour but simply can’t get work due to inexperience and age etc.

Good point Baldy-greedy insurance companies who are scared s.hitless of parting with some cash.