Reversing onto docking bay question

hi all,

just a quick question about reversing an artic, I’m going for my class 1 next month, I’m hoping to pass 1st time and get into the world of c+e driving, however I’m slightly worried at the prospect of reversing into docking bays in the real world of work, I know that for test conditions you’re allowed to place something like a peg on the back mudflap or some other aid, but how do you know you’re anywhere near the bay without such a device like a peg, any help here would be very much appreciated

thanks guys

Ian

Practise makes perfect. Just hope you don’t get too many bad ones at first. It will come. Get passed then worry about it after

midlifetrucker:
Practise makes perfect. Just hope you don’t get too many bad ones at first. It will come. Get passed then worry about it after

I’m hoping to get a few easy ones for my first few shifts, but then again maybe the old phrase ‘in at the deep end’ may serve me well :slight_smile:

Take your time. Jump out a lot , check and recheck. If it takes ten shunts and no damage then it’s a success. Ignore people taking ■■■■. They will. Don’t be afraid to ask if struggling. Slow movements of wheel and slow movement of vehicle is better.

Turn radio off. Open windows just in case a WHOA is hollered somewhere.

EVERYONE ■■■■■ UP no matter how long they have been driving. Watch how other people approach it. Set yourself up first. Where you place your rear axles will either make it easier or bloody hard work.

midlifetrucker:
Take your time. Jump out a lot , check and recheck. If it takes ten shunts and no damage then it’s a success. Ignore people taking ■■■■. They will. Don’t be afraid to ask if struggling. Slow movements of wheel and slow movement of vehicle is better.

thanks mate, apart from the reversing I’m really looking forward to a career driving a class 1, lots to learn after my pass I.E truckstops and how to make time to get to them, where to park up if I’m out of time, its all a learning curve yeah :slight_smile:

might get myself to a yard somewhere and just sit a take notes on how others are coping with it !!

You’ll know when you’re on the bay when it wont go back any further, it’s a sort of controlled crash

silvasurfa67:
for test conditions you’re allowed to place something like a peg on the back mudflap or some other aid,

When I took my tests that practice was banned (or at least it was in Bristol)

silvasurfa67:
but how do you know you’re anywhere near the bay without such a device like a peg, any help here would be very much appreciated

thanks guys

Ian

Reverse slowly until you feel the thud. Seriously. Docks have rubber buffers on and your trailer has lumps of rubber or rollers or a lump of metal for the same job. As long as it looks centred in the mirrors it’ll be right. Nowadays docks usually have big metal tubes to guide your wheels in. If there’s a fair bit of shade or its at night, you can use the glow of the brake lights on the ground. The dark line at the front of them is where the rear of the trailer is.

In short its not the nightmare you’re trying to convince yourself its going to be.

wait for the bump,allways works for me and no damage either if you do it slowly enough[as above]

most loading bays have lines painted on the floor, once your lined up with them it’s just a case of keeping the rear wheels and front of the trailer (and the cab) in line with it and as said just go back slowly till you feel the bump, try to always to reverse onto the bay from your good view/drivers side, if reversing in from the other side (also know as your blind side) it’s a lot harder

Keep watching your trailer wheels and where they are going rather than the sides of the trailer.

Big Roy:
You’ll know when you’re on the bay when it wont go back any further, it’s a sort of controlled crash

lol! :laughing: just remember to open the back doors :grimacing:

thank you very very much for all the great advice lads, as said in an earlier reply to this post, I do believe I’m convincing myself its going to be hard, just a little nervous I think :-/

Big Truck:
Keep watching your trailer wheels and where they are going rather than the sides of the trailer.

Don’t forget your spray suppression’s (mud flaps) on the bananas they can rip them off then you’re stuck at an RDC with a VOR trailer.

bald bloke:

Big Truck:

Don’t forget your spray suppression’s (mud flaps) on the bananas they can rip them off then you’re stuck at an RDC with a VOR trailer.

you just said a whole load of stuff I didn’t understand there mate, sorry :-/

When you’ve felt the clunk of your back end on the bumpers, just roll forward maybe half an inch or so, that way your trailer bumpers are not touching the ones on the bay. This stops them from getting trashed. As the forkies or warehouse guys with those electric pallet trucks go whizzing in and out of the trailer it causes it to move up and down on its suspension which in turn will cause the bumpers to rub together which will disintegrate them. Ever wonder why those bumpers are falling to bits? That is the reason, not people ramming into them.

silvasurfa67:

bald bloke:

Big Truck:

you just said a whole load of stuff I didn’t understand there mate, sorry :-/

Who me ? Bananas are the metal guides that well basically guide you onto the bays, some places don’t have them but most do and sometimes they’re painted yellow hence the name bananas, just watch your flaps, keep it tight offside so you know nearside you have plenty of room.