Cafe: Markham Moor [Split from feedback forum]

i stopped at markham moor truckstop was going to have a slapup breakfast untill i saw the prices 1 piece of blackpudding £1.75 1 extra slice of bacon £1.36 . Has motto taken over markham moor or is it in private hands still no wonder the cafe was empty at 8.00 in the morning .just a rip off.

^^^^^^ I stop for food there on average once every three years. That’s because with my Alzheimer’s it takes about three years for me to forget what an absolute rip off the place is. Turgid re heated food, stroppy and unfriendly staff, extortionate prices and kiddie portions! Steer well clear. Showers aint too bad though. :wink:

stopped at the pit stop on thursday 13 /11/14 what a change ,lovely breakfast, bit pricey , but a lot better than the one i had 3 months earlier, well done .will be seeing you again.

I’ve split this from a post in the Feedback Forum, because the price of food (although a very serious issue :wink: ) isn’t really what the Feedback Forum is for.

Those prices do seem rather steep :open_mouth:

Don’t think Markham is open Saturday mornings either it defiantly wasn’t a few years ago I paid one Friday night got up Saturday to find I couldn’t get a wash or a drink :confused: .
Most truck stops Or cafés I know are open until at least 12 on a Saturday.

I stopped at south mimms truck stop last week on a taco break, café was empty no wonder £1.30 for a cuppa tea (don’t think it would have been much dearer in the actual services) and the meals started at £6 odd, will be giving that place a wide berth from now on.

I thought the breakfast at markham was spot on ,but the roasted to death dinners are not too good .

Markham Moor was rammed years ago, you’d struggle to find a space, every time i pass by now it looks shut.

Compare with Jct 23 Shepshed, popped in a few weeks ago after a gap of several years, still a great breakfast and sensibly priced.

dreamlands2001:
I stopped at south mimms truck stop last week on a taco break, café was empty no wonder £1.30 for a cuppa tea (don’t think it would have been much dearer in the actual services) and the meals started at £6 odd, will be giving that place a wide berth from now on.

I don’t mind paying if the food is good like at the stockyard,also went in the new lesmahagow the other week a bit pricy but decent.
It’s when they charge a fortune and serve up rubbish that annoys me.
I have a view that if I’m buying a sandwich or a meal from somebody that meal should be better than I can make myself as these people are making a living from selling food,but it’s getting increasingly hard to find a quality place,just because im a driver don’t mean I eat any old slop.

Markham Moor is crap for hot meals, never rated the place. Breakfasts are fine but the dinners :open_mouth: I think they find it ok to cremate everything and expect you to accept it as a good meal. Notice when they had the lorry park resurfaced they put the prices up by a fiver to £15, that’s when I stopped parking there.

I stopped here last week First time in years.£3 Food voucher on a £15 ticket cottage pie £6.15 asked for peas and cabbage said I’d have to pay extra for the peas :open_mouth: . The meal was inedible.! Let them know then went back to the cab and made myself an omelette… Next morning up early then find I can’t get a wash… Fantastic :unamused: never again…!

Has it or did have a big plastic indian fella in the corner of the cafe :question: its been yonks since i stopped their after i had a crap meal one time…it allways felt big and cold with no atmosphere ,look at what it could be if they got their act together,loads of parking and a prime spot :unamused:

seth 70:
Has it or did have a big plastic indian fella in the corner of the cafe :question: its been yonks since i stopped their after i had a crap meal one time…it allways felt big and cold with no atmosphere ,look at what it could be if they got their act together,loads of parking and a prime spot :unamused:

I think the cold comes from them leaving the bloody door open in the restaurant even in Baltic conditions Seth :smiley:

Passed it today, glad I had a heads up. Stopped at Penrith instead. Good omelette, and free wifi.
What’s not to like. Will stop again.

If I come down there again…

Real trampers don’t have regular stops we take it as it comes.

fdm:
Passed it today, glad I had a heads up. Stopped at Penrith instead. Good omelette, and free wifi.

Stopped at penrith instead,its arf a shift away from markham moor :open_mouth:

fdm:
Passed it today, glad I had a heads up. Stopped at Penrith instead.

I was going to have a week off in Spain, somebody told me the food was rubbish. Went to Hong Kong instead.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Markham Moor is crap for hot meals, never rated the place. Breakfasts are fine but the dinners :open_mouth: I think they find it ok to cremate everything and expect you to accept it as a good meal. Notice when they had the lorry park resurfaced they put the prices up by a fiver to £15, that’s when I stopped parking there.

thats when i stopped useing markham moor as an overnight stop it used to be £10 a night to park they resurfaced the lorry park and it went up to £15 , our tight boss only pays £10 for parking so the driver has to stand the rest .

fdm:

Thats some distance you traveled. Markham Moor is near me!

Juddian:
Markham Moor was rammed years ago, you’d struggle to find a space, every time i pass by now it looks shut.

Compare with Jct 23 Shepshed, popped in a few weeks ago after a gap of several years, still a great breakfast and sensibly priced.

You’ll be struggling to get a space now mate as almost full every night bar Friday. :blush:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Well it doesn’t take the brains of an Archbishop to work out that resurfacing 5 acres of tarmac doesn’t come cheap does it? :blush: