Ipad air

Ok so i have bought an ipad air today and was wondering the best way of charging this? I have various hella and non hella plugs, i also have a 300 watt inverter and i carry a dropper.

I’m currently driving a Mercedes Actros, and although a nice truck there are no 12 volt sockets. Hence why i had to buy a dropper. I use the dropper during the night for my cpap machine, so ipad would charge during the day.

I’ve also not got a car charger yet, forgot to buy one. But i do have a 3 way cig adaptor with 2 usb plugs on it, so can i plug straight into that? Or should i stick with my inverter?

Or should i just buy a charger in Chesterfield truckstop?

I charge my i-phone5 and my i-pad4 using a 300watt invertor, no problems, its plenty big enough for the job.

Cool. The only thing with using my inverter, it currently has a hella plug on it, so i will need to mess about putting a ■■■ socket on.

The new Merc is a lovely truck, but why no 12volt or hella sockets? Thats rubbish

daleyboy:
Cool. The only thing with using my inverter, it currently has a hella plug on it, so i will need to mess about putting a ■■■ socket on.

The new Merc is a lovely truck, but why no 12volt or hella sockets? Thats rubbish

There is a 12v socket!

Open passenger door, right in front of you towards the centre console area are 2 sockets, top one is 12v bottom 24v.

Hth

dropper and the cig plug usb should be fine

might be fine without the dropper but couldn’t guarantee it!

No need for an inverter, use the “A” slots for iPad and it will charge at 2 amps, cheaper ones don’t work

It supplies 5 devices and can provide up to 8 amps

Quoted from older thread

trubster:
I use one of these

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IL1DJCQ

£11.99 with free delivery

It runs off 24 volts or 12, no faffing about with multiple sockets/plugs/adapters.

Very handy, it charges my phone up at 2 amps which the cheap chargers fail to do, why 5 ports? I use it to charge the TomTom, Phone, eCig, Handsfree kit and tablet if parked up watching TV.

Original thread with some feedback from another member that bought one
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88094

NewLad:

daleyboy:

There is a 12v socket!

Open passenger door, right in front of you towards the centre console area are 2 sockets, top one is 12v bottom 24v.

Hth

I can assure you mate there is only one socket in the passengter side and it’s 24 volt as is the one under the bunk and the cig lighter. Tested them all with my volt meter.

Apparently some merc actos have a button which switches it over to 12 volt, there isn’t a switch in my truck.

The usb adaptor i have is 3 ■■■ lighters side by side and 2 usb sockets, so might not be upto the task. Looks like its the inverter and normal plug.

Would it charge if i plugged it into the usb on the stereo? Or would that fry ut as well?

daleyboy:

The 12V socket is on the passenger side of the table, you need to switch it on with the 12V switch on the dash

It’s not 12 volt mate, it has a 24 volt cover on it and according to my volt meter it is 24 volt, and there is no switch anywhere in the truck to turn it into 12 volt.

I bought that device trubster advised and it’s been bob on so far.

daleyboy:
It’s not 12 volt mate, it has a 24 volt cover on it and according to my volt meter it is 24 volt, and there is no switch anywhere in the truck to turn it into 12 volt.

Not the one on the left side of the dash

Look in from the passenger door, its near the floor in the right hand side of the passenger footwell, it will be switched off unless the 12v button has a red light on

trubster:

daleyboy:

Not the one on the left side of the dash

Look in from the passenger door, its near the floor in the right hand side of the passenger footwell, it will be switched off unless the 12v button has a red light on

Ok i haven’t seen one there, so it must be well hidden as i cleaned all round there the other day.

Will have another look tomorrow, but as far as I’m aware there is the ■■■ lighter, the one on the left side of the dash and there is one under the bunk next to the passenger seat, and they are all 24 volt. What does this 12 volt switch look like? There aren’t any switches in the truck with 12 volt written on them.

trubster:
No need for an inverter, use the “A” slots for iPad and it will charge at 2 amps, cheaper ones don’t work

It supplies 5 devices and can provide up to 8 amps

Quoted from older thread

trubster:
I use one of these

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IL1DJCQ

£11.99 with free delivery

It runs off 24 volts or 12, no faffing about with multiple sockets/plugs/adapters.

Very handy, it charges my phone up at 2 amps which the cheap chargers fail to do, why 5 ports? I use it to charge the TomTom, Phone, eCig, Handsfree kit and tablet if parked up watching TV.

Original thread with some feedback from another member that bought one
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88094

yeah but you say that works in a 24v ciggarete lighter socket but what happens if you plug a a device that only works with a 12v power supply into one of the usb sockets

^^^^^

A USB Socket is 5v, not 12v or 24v

The adaptor takes the 12/24 down to 5v, which is what all USB Ciggie Plug chargers do, but most are 12v OR 24v, some are 500mah/1A which is not enough, some are not Apple compatible, this is

TomTom Universal High-Speed Multi-Charger (iPod, iPhone, Smartphones) amazon.co.uk/dp/B004SH3ERC/ … mub01G86GR

These are good too, and they have the added benefit of still being able to use the socket.

kindle530:
I charge my i-phone5 and my i-pad4 using a 300watt invertor, no problems, its plenty big enough for the job.

Be better off using a 2000mA 12V/24V to USB adapter. Asda do one for a fiver.

Ive got the invertor, no reason to spend a fiver then throw invertor in shed!