Can any one help. regarding a house move.?...transport

hi , we are hoping to be moving house in early june, certainly b4 the 20th.
having had some quotes from various removal firms, we are looking to try and get the move done a tad,(well ok a lot cheaper :cry: )

the cheapest qoute is £1100.

and was wondering (hoping) that a member may be in a position to either…
A know where i can get hold of a cheap box van though not a luton, would have to be bigger. (one of these extra long seven n half tonners).
B difficult one this, but maybe some one has a drop in darlington area on said date and looking to cover fuel costs back south.

we are moving from darlington area to gatwick area.

actual dates not confirmed as yet, but if any one thinks they may be able to help, i could confirm dates proberly by middle to end of next week…

i know this is a long shot. but worth a try,

thanks terry…

i have lucy,s permission to post this on pdf :wink: :wink:

They’re not cheap are they. The last time we moved we used Britannia.

britannia-movers.co.uk/

The problem with Darlington to Gatwick is that it will be a 2 day job.

Cant you just hire a 7.5 ton truck with tail lift and do it yourself?.

Some of the bigger hire companies will doa one way from depot to depot.

jammymutt:
Cant you just hire a 7.5 ton truck with tail lift and do it yourself?.

Some of the bigger hire companies will doa one way from depot to depot.

were looking into that now jammy… :wink:

Some self-drive car/truck companies will even hire out larger trucks - there’s one in Bristol which will hire out 18-tonne box vans as long as you’re 30+ and had your Cat. C for 2+ years. I’m pretty sure PFB in Brum will even hire you a 44-tonne artic…

However, the biggest downside of doing it yourself is the packing and loading - it’s hard work, and it takes quite a bit of time unless you’ve got quite a few friends to help out.

Hi Terry

you have a PM which may be of interest.

Calv

I used a company called ‘the removal company’. Can’t think of the number o ff the top of my head. Will look it up a bit later
But to be fair, I don’t think £1100 is bad for 2 guys, and a truck for 2 days.

as an ex reovals bod keep away from pickfords you could try harkers transport in birtley or thats were they were last i heard that kind of move is never going to be cheep though for the distance and two guys plus insurance etc etc its not that bad ive seen a LOT higher prices for much less distance

Cant help on that one terry…but at least your making the right move…from north to south. :laughing: :laughing:

truckyboy:
Cant help on that one terry…but at least your making the right move…from north to south. :laughing: :laughing:

What?? York,Durham, The NY Moors, The Yorkshire dales, The lake district! all that for the smogâ– â– ? you must be 1 of 3 things MAD, DAFT or under orders.

or try ask Polish or Czech Removal Company, probably more cheaper than £1100 :laughing: :laughing:

probbably would be betz but it would take em seven days to get to the desination :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

alix776:
as an ex reovals bod keep away from pickfords

As another ex-removals bod - I second that.

My advice would be:
Try to get rid of as much of your non-essential furniture as possible. Are you sure you really need the old wardrobe in the spare room type of thing. This cuts down on volume. Box up all personal effects yourself. Ask removals firm to then give you a quote for shipping furniture only. This would probably constitute a part-load. If you go to larger firms they have regular part loads to London. It’s cheaper that way. Then hire a Luton van and move your boxes yourself.

However, coughing up for a decent removals firm (I always recommend Bishops Move) is far far far less hassle. On moving day, you can put you wallet and car keys in your pocket, and sit and drink tea and the guys will pack and move everything else and it’s insured (including breakages). Just make the removals guys regular cups of tea and give em a tip and they will do the lot. Saves you a sore back and grief from the missus when you drop something or scrape the wall heaving a wardrobe upstairs. :wink:

If it means meeting the â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  your avatar Terry, i"ll do it for a tenner :smiley: :smiley: