Tachograph requirements for not for profit / voluntary work?

I’m thinking of volunteering to work for a registered charity collecting animals from farms and then delivering them to re-homing events around the country.

This would predominantly be at weekends on a voluntary basis and without pay (not sure if any “expenses” are paid or not.)

I know for such work I don’t need a driver CPC (although I have it!) but wonder about tachograph requirement and how it would affect my Monday - Friday “day job” where I drive for a living.

I would presumably be doing this on a Saturday much the same as I would work an extra shift, so long as my hours allowed etc but I wonder if registered charity’s are exempt from tachograph use although I assume normal EU driving hours rules etc would apply?

As far as I know, the charity in question is looking to acquire it’s own HGV for this purpose, I presume it would be registered privately?

Any help / pointers greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Assuming the vehicle is a 7.5t vehicle (7.5t is maximum size for private carriage of goods) and is used for none commercial purposes it’s out of scope of EU regulations, it’s also out of scope of domestic regulations because it’s not for hire or reward.

You won’t need to use the tachograph and as far as the tachograph rules are concerned it won’t affect your regular work, but you may need to be careful about how expenses are paid though :wink:

If expenses cover your personal vehicle costs and meals etc out then no worries because that is not making or intending to make a profit

Only if the LGV has a GVW over 7.5 tonnes will you start to encounter any issues for any of the regs

Nothing to add, just a big thumbs up. I do transport with my own combo van for pet re-homing. Bit upsetting when someone’s giving up a pet because they are moving into rented or something, but at least you feel you are doing your bit.