114 hours driving in a fortnight (well, 13 days)?

I’m a newbie…so sorry if I’ve missed the bleedin’ obvious…but is this legal? Not talking about two fixed weeks, but something like this (reduced rest in between):

Looks legal to me, but I’m willing to stand corrected.

Weekly Rest has absolutely nothing to do with driving time

Driving time is based on fixed weeks only

Add any two fixed weeks in that example and no two exceed the 90 limit nor the 56 max fixed weekly limit so all is LEGAL

Thanks, Rog, that’s what I thought…just not seen it presented that way.

Just something I came up with while getting my head round the regs.

Realistically its daft because although legal in the way you did it, if you push the lot 3 days to the left then it becomes illegal - all because of it being based on fixed weeks instead of the more realistic rest rules

exit:
I’m a newbie…so sorry if I’ve missed the bleedin’ obvious…but is this legal? Not talking about two fixed weeks, but something like this (reduced rest in between):

You’ve done three 10’s in between two weekly rest periods - Can’t be legal

ObviousRichy:

exit:

It is, you can do four 10’s if you want.

ObviousRichy:

exit:

ROG spelt it out above…

Driving time is based on fixed weeks only

these are the two sets of rules that often get mixed up …

max 3 reduced daily rests between weekly rests

max of two 10 hour drives per (fixed) week

ROG:

Given that truck drivers aren’t generally mathematically brilliant (myself included) I wonder who thought it was a good idea to make us have two different types of week, when the rest of the world seems able to do with just the one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well chaps, this is genuinely a new one on me. I honestly thought that the rules on your working week counted between 2 weekly rest periods, no matter whether the fell midweek or at weekends. I’ll stick to night night trunking. It’s simple. :neutral_face:

It’s a woeful set of rules, poorly designed and overly complicated. It could only have been dreamt up by committee; the first committee working on reduced daily rest and such working on a system in between weekly rests (makes sense) and the second committee in charge of driving hours working on a fixed week system. “Left hand allow me to introduce you to the right hand”.

The ironic thing is despite all the rules and emphasis on being for safety the system allows you to work 15 hours a day and have 9 hours off in which to drive home, say hi to the children, go straight to bed have 5-6 hours sleep before driving back to work and doing it all again. Idiotic.

exit:

Think 90 Hour is more a Maximum then a Sugestion. What says your D-CPC Trainer?
Fixed Week is Monday 00.01 to Sunda 24.00 doesn’t Matter on which day’s you do weekly Break.

driving limited to 90 hours per fortnight. 114 hours exceeds that. Or have I misunderstood?

Harry monk picture shows 4 reduced daily rests in between weekly rests. Is it 3 or 4■■?

Freight Dog:
It’s a woeful set of rules, poorly designed and overly complicated. It could only have been dreamt up by committee; the first committee working on reduced daily rest and such working on a system in between weekly rests (makes sense) and the second committee in charge of driving hours working on a fixed week system. “Left hand allow me to introduce you to the right hand”.

The ironic thing is despite all the rules and emphasis on being for safety the system allows you to work 15 hours a day and have 9 hours off in which to drive home, say hi to the children, go straight to bed have 5-6 hours sleep before driving back to work and doing it all again. Idiotic.

Only too true sadly. Unfortunately the Employers’ vested interest committee outnumbered the Union and Road Safety vested interest Committee. A few slap-up jollies soon sorted any qualms about a sell out to profit. Otherwise we would have had something far more sensible like the old log book rules of 11hrs off duty every day, maximum 12 1/2 hrs spreadover, 5 1/2 hrs after sign on a break must be taken, 10 hrs daily driving limit and 60 hrs maximum duty per week. The only improvement would have been to extend the weekly rest period from 24hrs. No POA nonsense, no reduced rest rubbish.

Do I hear a plaintive wail that the vehicles were so much more tiring back then and therefore the latest bells and whistles, which were so grudgingly provided, demand to be paid for in greater productivity?

Problem? need more drivers to do the jobs? Oh dear, is that really so sad?

Euro:
driving limited to 90 hours per fortnight. 114 hours exceeds that. Or have I misunderstood?

Misunderstood

That 114 is over 3 fixed weeks not 2

Harry Monk:

ROG:

Given that truck drivers aren’t generally mathematically brilliant (myself included) I wonder who thought it was a good idea to make us have two different types of week, when the rest of the world seems able to do with just the one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed. No wonder so many of us get confused. It wouldn’t be so bad if the book wasn’t thrown at us for frankly piffling “offences”.

cav551:
Only too true sadly. Unfortunately the Employers’ vested interest committee outnumbered the Union and Road Safety vested interest Committee. A few slap-up jollies soon sorted any qualms about a sell out to profit. Otherwise we would have had something far more sensible like the old log book rules of 11hrs off duty every day, maximum 12 1/2 hrs spreadover, 5 1/2 hrs after sign on a break must be taken, 10 hrs daily driving limit and 60 hrs maximum duty per week. The only improvement would have been to extend the weekly rest period from 24hrs. No POA nonsense, no reduced rest rubbish.

Do I hear a plaintive wail that the vehicles were so much more tiring back then and therefore the latest bells and whistles, which were so grudgingly provided, demand to be paid for in greater productivity?

Problem? need more drivers to do the jobs? Oh dear, is that really so sad?

^^^ THIS would sort so many problems

+1, Domestic Regs. far more straight-forward and easy to manage…a little like service bus drivers (even in this day and age!!) - it seems to work for them, sometimes with 3 x drivers operating and utilising one vehicle across 24 hours.