Scania to be owned by VW

dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/ … 00000&_r=0

VW for world ■■■■■■■■■■, they own Porsche as well I think.

They have a major shareholding in Porsche, but do own Audi, Skoda, Seat, MAN, Bentley, and Lamborghini. Won’t be long before everything vehicular is essentially the product of 1 of 3 companies!

VW has had a 70% ownership since 2000, they are just buying the rest. Scania hasn’t been anything but an overpriced MAN for 14 years.

cracker-bar:
They have a major shareholding in Porsche, but do own Audi, Skoda, Seat, MAN, Bentley, and Lamborghini. Won’t be long before everything vehicular is essentially the product of 1 of 3 companies!

and Bugatti and Ducati

wheelnutt:
VW has had a 70% ownership since 2000, they are just buying the rest. Scania hasn’t been anything but an overpriced MAN for 14 years.

Well I think that’s a bit strong. The 2006 v8 I had was a lovely machine & never gave me any bother in 5 years from new apart from a new steering linkage at the front. Partly my fault probly as I wasn’t as careful as I could have been with it on the speed humps and pot holes, always in a hurry in them days.

Silver_Surfer:
Well I think that’s a bit strong.

For effect of course. The Scania has such a blind following and I bet you 99% don’t even realise it hasn’t been Swedish for donkey’s years and is just a MAN. If you want Swedish, there is only Volvo.

any proof of shared components beyond rear lights?

milodon:

Not what I know of. They doesn’t even share suspension parts. A lot of the body parts are still made by local companies around Sweden. The aluminum footsteps are made by a local company where I live. scania VCI don’t share anything either with MAN fault software.

They are a bit overrated though. I know mine’s 8 years old but there’s nothing outstanding about it compared to a Daf, Man, Merc etc of the same age.

wheelnutt:

Silver_Surfer:

For effect of course. The Scania has such a blind following and I bet you 99% don’t even realise it hasn’t been Swedish for donkey’s years and is just a MAN. If you want Swedish, there is only Volvo.

Well, Volvo is owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group of China

MisterStrood:

wheelnutt:

Silver_Surfer:

A little knowledge is such a dangerous commodity in the wrong hands. Volvo Chinese.
Did April Fools day come early this year.

Why don’t you google that again and this time plagiarise the correct quote please.

milodon:

Start with the annual report from 2006 and read all of them to date plus the press releases in between. You will be surprised how little is still Scania and we are not just talking parts but raw materials, design, tooling, assembly, aerodynamics, and the list goes on.

Do you really expect VW to buy Scania back in 2000 and not use its synergies, size and knowledge to get cost savings across the board at Scania? They have done that everywhere else and have decades of experience streamlining Marquees that they have purchased. Scania is about as Swedish as Seat is Spanish or Ducati and Lamborghini are Italian.

So why do bits fall off MAN interiors and with Scanias you pay over the odds for everything?

MisterStrood:

wheelnutt:

Silver_Surfer:

I think you’ll find that it is volvo cars that belong to Geely, they bought it from Ford when they sold off their “premier motor group” division. Jaguar and land rover went to tata at the same time.

We shall agree to disagree wheelnutt.

wheelnutt:

MisterStrood:

wheelnutt:

Silver_Surfer:

A little knowledge is such a dangerous commodity in the wrong hands. Volvo Chinese.

Why don’t you google that again and this time plagiarise the correct quote please.

Ok so I made a mistake.
But the fact that Scania belongs to VAG doesn’t make it German as that would mean that Jaguar is Indian unlike everyone would think British.

MisterStrood:

wheelnutt:

MisterStrood:

wheelnutt:

Silver_Surfer:

Ok so I made a mistake.
But the fact that Scania belongs to VAG doesn’t make it German as that would mean that Jaguar is Indian unlike everyone would think British.

I would describe it more like Vw / Porsche. Porsche does its own development but share parts that there is no need to do dual work for.

Scania share more stuff with american ■■■■■■■ engine wise tahn with man. The Xpi injection sytem is a joint adventure with ■■■■■■■

Hiya …just look what VW did for Skoda, maybe VW can do the same for Scania.Now that would be a useful truck.
its a pitty VW didn’t buy ERF / FODEN/scammell/bedford /aec/ ford and a few others.
John

3300John:
Hiya …just look what VW did for Skoda, maybe VW can do the same for Scania.Now that would be a useful truck.
its a pitty VW didn’t buy ERF / FODEN/scammell/bedford /aec/ ford and a few others.
John

In a way John, they do own ERF, they just choose to ignore the fact. A bit like Paccar do/did with Foden.