I vote

No not an election thread.
Saw on the TV yesterday that our industry is grosely understaffed, and with the kids these days not interested in this kind of work the problem is getting worse by the week.
So I vote we have a national strike for more pay and recognition :bulb:
I mean when was the last time your employer/agency made you feel as valuable as you are :question: They might make us believe that we’re thick and worthless, and in some cases they’ve made a pretty good job of convicing us of it, but that’s not the case is it.
What percentage of goods from manufacturer to retail outlet travels a certain distance by the use of an LGV driver :question:
Just the thought of a LGV drivers strike is enough to put the (zb) up any political party leader from here to Pluto :exclamation: The transport industry can absorb the costs through price increasing, and stuff the other consumers who have to pay more, since when did they recognise us as a vital part of the food chain so to speak :exclamation:
We’re taken for granted and taken advantage of every week we get our wage packet so how does £17.50 per hour sound for a negotiable starter…

if it needs stars to get past the censor it means it’s not allowed mrs mix

IM ALL FOR A BIG PAYRISE and i wouldnt mind 2 weeks strike for it to be honest couldnt afford any longer. and if any firm says that they cant afford to pay any more then they shouldnt be trading. all these firms that give it about hardly earning any money and if you get a punture thats the profit gone for a week or 2 shouldnt be on the road. sorry if it offends but thats the truth.

I’m sure they will be along with their links too previous threads soon this subject has been discussed at great length.
As far as I can see the biggest problem is co-ordinating such a large industry. My vote goes for a work to rule.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10135

there are a lot of mixed feelings about this type of thing at the moment so a national strike is highly unlikely :frowning:

One question all these that want a strike,how many are in a union.Because if you are not ,you will got no support from me.

jessicas dad:
IM ALL FOR A BIG PAYRISE and i wouldnt mind 2 weeks strike for it to be honest couldnt afford any longer. and if any firm says that they cant afford to pay any more then they shouldnt be trading. all these firms that give it about hardly earning any money and if you get a punture thats the profit gone for a week or 2 shouldnt be on the road. sorry if it offends but thats the truth.

It wouldn’t last two weeks, can you imagine what a state the country would be in after three days of no supermarket delivery’s, let alone clothing, textiles and petrol :exclamation:

i wonder why no one else has thought of this idea,lets go on strike.the problem is half of you’s say yes i’ll be out with you’s no problems,but when it comes to the crunch it’s oh i got mortgages to pay and my kids need this that and other.it’s always been the same in this industry and will never change.yes we could bring this country to it’s knee’s and it’s about time it happened,but as usual the union’s will strike a deal without our say so and everyone will agree to it and with in a couple of month’s we’ll be getting treated like dirt again and before we know it they will all be on here asking for another strike.it’s about time this dam goverment stood up for our industry instead of bowing down to brussel’s and doing everything they say.especially when the french,german’s and every other country has told them to shove it.not the british we will be your donkey’s.as long as blair and his muppet’s are getting their high paid wages and don’t need to worry about their next mortgage payment,do you honestly think that they really care about us truck drivers.i don’t think so. :wink:

Sorry to go off topic, although i agree with any action, did u know our highly paid PM pays ÂŁ12,000 a month mortgage!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

acarlin1:
Sorry to go off topic, although i agree with any action, did u know our highly paid PM pays ÂŁ12,000 a month mortgage!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

just goes to show if he can affoard 12,000 a month on a mortgage and does not need to worry then my point is clearly correct,that he don’t care one little bit about us truckers,as long as i’m alright jack sod the lot of you.and then has the dam cheek to ask us to vote for him,yeah as if. :wink:

i think alot of firms couldnt give a toss if you went on strike tomorrow they would just put agency drivers in also it would be a good excuse just to get rid of you and then sub the work out or get agency in full time.

kitkat:

acarlin1:

just goes to show if he can affoard 12,000 a month on a mortgage and does not need to worry then my point is clearly correct,that he don’t care one little bit about us truckers,as long as i’m alright jack sod the lot of you.and then has the dam cheek to ask us to vote for him,yeah as if. :wink:

erm… yes quite agree with you he doesnt give one oita about us

About the mortgage, he cant afford it, he has finally rented the house out to some arabs, but this was only after wifie went to New Zealand to insult them by calling them australians. (would she have got £100 thousand pounds if she was only a QC? or do you think she is trading of erm… tonie) plus this was for charity rasing events so dont give to any charity that the blairs belong or support else youll be paying their mortgage :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :cry:

Here’s a thought :bulb: , one of the perfectly understandable and obvious reasons people dont want to strike is no money, so if say the oil and petrol tanker drivers were to go on strike, and they are the ones whose actions would have the quickest and most severe effect, why dont we all agree to pay a £5 a week to cover all the wages lost, if they knew they would still be able to pay the bills at the end of the week a lot of worry would be laid to rest, and lets faceit it would not be long befors the employers caved. :laughing: :laughing:

As already pointed out, with the best will in the world, we will not all go on strike. Many drivers need the money, so instead, why don’t we all, on three or four maybe even five consecutive days, between 06:00 and 20:00, drive exactly 10 miles per hour below the speed limit that you are in. Objective to try for a £10 per hour pay rise… :unamused:

So if on motorway, lets all do 50, in town lets all do 20… :smiling_imp:

But of course, the other thing to remember is that if we get higher rates, the products we carry will cost more to buy, so then the consumer gets cross with us :blush:

peter cherry:
One question all these that want a strike,how many are in a union.Because if you are not ,you will got no support from me.

Yes but all unions do is to tell people (if they have two brain cells to put together) what they already know.

jessicas dad:
i think alot of firms couldnt give a toss if you went on strike tomorrow they would just put agency drivers in also it would be a good excuse just to get rid of you and then sub the work out or get agency in full time.

My point,
Question: if they can afford agency fees of ÂŁ12/14 per hr why do they only pay drivers 6 or 7 :question:
Answer: because drivers do it for that and are to %^&* to ask for more.

Magic Mel:
But of course, the other thing to remember is that if we get higher rates, the products we carry will cost more to buy, so then the consumer gets cross with us :blush:

Consumers are already cross, they’re always winging about drivers getting in the way, making noise, having to stop while we reverse round their stupid parking, so know change there.

jessicas dad:

and if all the agency drivers refused to enter premises that had a picket line outside there gates,what would you do then :question: i suppose up here they could get yuill and dodds in i suppose.remember ravensgraig steel works. :wink:

Dont get me started, all I will say is I’m all for it. People on here go on about I have bills to pay I have this to pay, well so do I, get real. There’s one difference between those selfish I have this I need this, I have a conscience, I have principles, and this is a cause worth fighting for and I’m prepared to let the bills go whistle while I’m on strike. As an agency driver I would turn down any work on principle and tell them not to contact me until the strike is over. Also bear in mind with the large shortage of drivers already, where are they going to miraculously get all these extra agency drivers from■■? they can hardly cope now, I know that my agency is regularly turning down work cos they dont have enough drivers to fulfill contracts, and I know lots of agencies have the same problem. If there is a 60-80k shortage dont you think they would have already filled these jobs with agency workers by now? I say get the industry while its already in a weak bargaining position, and that time is now!!

allrighty:
As an agency driver I would turn down any work on principle and tell them not to contact me until the strike is over.quote]

me to i would never cross a picket line no matter what.

Mike Bartlett:
My point,
Question: if they can afford agency fees of ÂŁ12/14 per hr why do they only pay drivers 6 or 7 :confused:

Mike companies are actually paying the Agency in the ÂŁ30-ÂŁ35/Hr range for Drivers depending on area. :open_mouth: :unamused:

kitkat:

jessicas dad:

and if all the agency drivers refused to enter premises that had a picket line outside there gates,what would you do then :question: i suppose up here they could get yuill and dodds in i suppose.remember ravensgraig steel works. :wink:

im an agency driver and i would be at the front of a picket line. i would be trying to get other agency drivers to join the strike too

Made me laugh when i read the sun yesterday saying how the W.T.D. was going to lose drivers £80 a week in overtime that they wasnt allowed to work, and at the end of the story some haulage spokesperson said that they will have to recruit a 100,000 more drivers…where will they come from if we`re already 80,000 short today…dont make me laugh.

As for a strike …its a great idea…but you will never get all the support…like i keep saying …we need a union only for drivers…run by drivers …and we need 100% membership…it will never happen…in america…if somebody organises a work to rule…or a strike …or industrial action…they will go to jail…pretty much like here really…if someone organises something against the governments wishes…they will get you for something or other…and take you out of the equasion…i remember when we blocked dover docks years ago…plod turned up …with recovery companies…and threatened to drag the offending vehicles out of the way…lost cause…thanks to maggie…