Brakes at Grantham

Brakes “Foodservice Solutions” are advertising for Class 1 drivers at Grantham. Any one got any info on what they’re really like to work for. :question:

I dont know what there like on class 1 side of things but they always seem to advertise class 2 jobs every week on jobcentre website which to me seems they find it hard to keep drivers. I’m only 5 mins away from there depot in Rochdale but never botherd knocking on there door. Good luck anyway

I’ve been in there a few times with rental units & unlike many of Brakes place’s they do seem to look after the trucks (you should see the condition that trucks can get into at some depots.)
They also seem like a decent bunch of guy’s.

The North Nottinghamshire firm I drive for run into Brakes regulary and although I have never been into Grantham I do meet a Brakes rig from Grantham in B/Stortford on Friday’s for a transfer. The motor is usually an Actros and seems well cared for, know a couple of their Drivers but funnily enough never discussed T’s & C’s. Highbridge Flyer will no doubt help with much more info. Good luck. :smiley:

an old friend of mine has worked for brakes for over 15 year as a class 2 driver.
he seems happy with it.
theres only one way to find out if a job suits you, and that is to try it.
here say and rumours are just what they mean.

incidently, if you live within 30 miles of stamford then why not try were i work.
i think they are recruiting.

Thanks so far, I’ll give em a ring next week. Nobodys jumped straight on here with any horror stories, which is a good start :exclamation:

tinydm:
Thanks so far, I’ll give em a ring next week. Nobodys jumped straight on here with any horror stories, which is a good start :exclamation:

we’ll wait untill you get the job then tell you the horror stories :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: good luck.

dave:
incidently, if you live within 30 miles of stamford then why not try were i work. i think they are recruiting.

I might be stating the obvious here Dave, but do you work out of Ketton??

I did a couple of months there in 1997. Happy when I had a belly tanker but hated it when i had to take out a tipping tanker :cry: .

I left because I went there as a ‘day man’ but kept getting stitched up for nights to Avonmouth all the time :angry: .

tinydm:

A friend of mine went there as agency and ended up working for them full time. He said it got better after a while because you ended up with a ‘regular’ run but in the begining it was crap. He lost over two stone doing all the handball right into the customers fridges.

Having said all that, he only left because he set up as an OD (tippers).

yes, im from ketton.
and the tipper tanks are all gone now :laughing:

I worked on the multi drop out of Grantham for a few months doing
the Immingham and Rotherham areas, but then they gave me a hire car
and i had to travel to the Hemsworth depo every morning and from Lincoln evey
day it soon took its toll on me
Having said that i dont know what the class 1 side was like but the fleet is well looked after with its own garage on site.
Steve Robey is the man u need to contact, good chap [used to be at Lincoln depo] good luck.

I have worked for Brakes on the agency and class 1 is all trunking class 2 as you can imagine is multidop. I would never do the class 2 again unless its a trunk run, but the class 1 is just a doddle. I understand class 1 drivers are on about £23k+, but dont quote me on that. I know they are also advertising for a night driver at Rochdale also, probably for the night run to Motherwell. You cant get easier than this! Give it a try, I dont mind working for them, all nice tidy Mercs. :laughing:

Later

Allrighty

Highbridge Flyer will no doubt help with much more info. Good luck.

Someone call :smiley: :smiley:

They seem to be ok, as Charles said. All the class 1 is trunking and they seem to be in our place a fair bit. Usual moans and groans that we all seem to have. At one stage they were cutting down on there artic transport but seem to be building back up again. Main agency supply is via Manpower I think but I might be wrong. Good quality kit, mainly actros with a few premiums thrown in and not many of the old erf’s :confused: Not sure about money tho’.

Hope this helps :bulb: Charles, back on nights again mate Sun-Thurs :unamused:

Cheers

Martin :sunglasses:

I know someone who has just been put through his class 1 with Brakes at Grantham. He doesn’t really moan about them (he has signed up for 2 years with them) and he’s on about 24K doing nights.