A12 and a14 warning in suffolk

just been on local bbc radio warning if you park in laybys on these rds leave yout lights on during the nite seems they gonna clamp down do flat batterys all round… but id just get a bike lite from the pound shop and batterys prob cost a few quid a week a lot cheaper than £15 truckstops per nite

So this all because the orwell isnt making any money… What they fail to realise is that you dont just run out of time the min you get to that truckstop and if you have got time left you’ll just park up at felixstowe…

Get yourself the LED kind btw, they use the batteries much much slower…

Another money saving tip from - Vosa :laughing:

twitter.com/hgvdontparkhere/sta … 53/photo/1

Its always been law on laybys which are only separated by paint from the main carriageway

Nothing new here - that’s been in the Highway Code forever.

If you read the police notice carefully it says drivers who
‘fail to do so when asked’
The only people who are gonna get fined are those that want an argument. Any rational person will just say OK, switch their lights on and go back to bed.

m1cks:
Nothing new here - that’s been in the Highway Code forever.

The only people who are gonna get fined are those that want an argument. Any rational person will just say OK, switch their lights on and go back to bed.

It doesn’t say ‘When asked’ it says when required i.e sunset to sunrise.

m1cks:

It doesn’t say that. It says “when required”. Big difference.

Ian58:

m1cks:

Aye my mistake

I think it’s pretty decent of the Police to warn everyone of their intentions, they are quite within their right and remit to act without warning, as Lincolnshire “Truck hating” Police do.

The daft part about the parking law is that if you drop a trailer in a lay by it doesn’t need lights, if it’s coupled to a unit it does. :confused:

Not sure that simply sticking a bike LED light would suffice.
I remember years ago we used to have clip on parking lights showing one red to rear and one white to front… they were deemed illegal and the requiremnet was for two reds and two white, this was on cars.
I don’t know if artics would need to have all marker lights lit at night

Here is a link to the relevant legislation. Basically, in a lay by keep your side lights on between sunset and sunrise and even in fog! It is the lights on the vehicle which must be on, it is no good sticking bike lights or any other light to your vehicle!

Personally I think that this could cause a tired driver to follow the lights of the vehicle in front not realising it is a parked truck. I’ve never heard of anyone crashing into a truck parked in a lay-by coz they did not see it in the dark!

legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 … on/24/made

[/quote]
[/quote]
When your required to do so… Your required to do so between sunset and sunrise…

How long does the battery last before it wont start the truck with the sidelights on?

claretmatt:
I think it’s pretty decent of the Police to warn everyone of their intentions, they are quite within their right and remit to act without warning, as Lincolnshire “Truck hating” Police do.

Whilst that is the case, you do have to wonder how many accidents have been caused by unlit parked up to the point where a specific campaign is needed. Probably not that many I reckon.

Is this all because of that ■■■■■■■ truckstop! I’d say theres going to be quite a few drivers running over there time because of this!

i guess all the numptys in the kelsa club will need a jump start every morning me ill be ok with my standard sidelights on

Trev_H:
The daft part about the parking law is that if you drop a trailer in a lay by it doesn’t need lights, if it’s coupled to a unit it does. :confused:

if the unit is uncoupled from the trailer, would you still need lights on unit or is that another daft parking law,

Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations
Regulation 24
Requirements about the use of front and rear position lamps, rear registration plate lamps, side marker lamps and end-outline marker lamps
24.–(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (5) and (9), no person shall—

(a)use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle which is in motion— .
(i)between sunset and sunrise, or .
(ii)in seriously reduced visibility between sunrise and sunset; or .
(b)allow to remain at rest, or cause or permit to be allowed to remain at rest, on a road any vehicle between sunset and sunrise .
unless every front position lamp, rear position lamp, rear registration plate lamp, side marker lamp and end-outline marker lamp with which the vehicle is required by these Regulations to be fitted is kept lit and unobscured.

Notice the repeated reference to “any vehicle” and “on a road”.
I therefore assume that all vehicles on all roads in the county will all be equally affected by this?

ipswich123:

Trev_H:

if the unit is uncoupled from the trailer, would you still need lights on unit or is that another daft parking law,

Yes that’s the daft part, if you were parked in front of a dropped trailer that was unlit you would still need lights on the unit even though it can’t be seen from the rear. :confused: