Coupling/Uncoupling

beattun:
what the hell is going on this thread, are we all some sort of robot jobsworths with major common deficiencies?

when dropping a loaded trailer i do the following, with the engine running…and no shunt buttons on our trailers

apply the truck parking brake
pull off the suzies
pull the pin
wind the legs down
jump back in the truck, pull out a bit so that the fifth wheel is still under the trailer
drop the airbags
if the trailer doesnt drop, then im gone for the next trailer straight away, if it does drop then i lift the bags again and wind the legs further

my reasing for pulling the pin before the legs is that when you wind the legs down fully, especially with a loaded trailer, youre going to put pressure on the jaws sometimes making the pin hard to pull.

Well if that works for you, and you are slim enough to get between the trailer and unit to remove the susies then you don’t need to split uncouple and your method is basically the same as mine for ‘normal’ uncoupling apart from when you wind the legs down. I’m sorry but I don’t get the reason for leaving them till later - never had the sort of problem you describe due to the legs being wound down, but as long as you never forget and use the same routine, thats what it’s all about.