National Lottery

I was wondering how many of us play the national lottery regularly?
I know they call it Lotto or something like that now, but you know what I mean.
Are you more likely to play when there is a rollover? If so why?

I do £4 a week but I do it by Standing Order so what happens if that every week they take £4 out of my bank account and once a year they put £10 into it. :cry:

Harry Monk:
I do £4 a week but I do it by Standing Order so what happens if that every week they take £4 out of my bank account and once a year they put £10 into it. :cry:

Same here, plus do the euro millions if its a big one

Harry Monk:

So you are losing ~ £198.00 ~ over a year?

Henrys cat:

Harry Monk:

Why do you play more when the prize fund is bigger?

Yes, it’s a tax on blind optimism and stupidity :wink:

Big Jon’s dad:

Henrys cat:

Harry Monk:

simple if your not in it you can’t win it.

Its worth a risk, you never know when it could be you

Harry Monk:
Yes, it’s a tax on blind optimism and stupidity :wink:

Oi! Bugger off, you’re too smart for this game. :imp:

Ooooo, Look you can say bugger and not get zed-bee’d

Henrys cat:

Big Jon’s dad:

Henrys cat:

Harry Monk:

OK, but you know the chances of winning the big prize is ~ 14 million to one, don’t you?
Do you think you have more chance of winning if there was no winner in the previous draw?

In actual fact there is nothing illogical about buying a National Lottery ticket. Regardless of the mathematics, the advantages that would accrue by winning a jackpot prize far outweigh the disappointment of losing the £1 stake.

50p in the pound goes into the prize fund, so if it rolls over twice it is statistically “a good bet”.

There is one useful tactic when choosing numbers- choose numbers higher than 31 only. This will not improve your chances of winning, since any six numbers have the same chance as any other six of appearing, but since many people choose their numbers on the basis of friends and family birth dates, it reduces your chances of having to share the jackpot should you win it.

Big Jon’s dad:

Henrys cat:

Big Jon’s dad:

Henrys cat:

Harry Monk:

OK, but you know the chances of winning the big prize is ~ 14 million to one, don’t you?
Do you think you have more chance of winning if there was no winner in the previous draw?

no, its this simple. We have decided that we can afford 2 lines per lotto draw ( 2weds & 2 sat), these are played on standing order. Then we just do 1 line on a big euro millions draw.

Its got nothing to do with probability or anything other that we fancy the chance of winning it

I play because I have always had a dream. I have always longed to own my very own truck.

Then I could park it outside my house, and every morning I could go out and hit it with a hammer. :wink:

I play randomly usually something to do with have I got any money in my ■■■■■, I tried doing the same as Harry, but it seemed they were taking more out of my bank account than I ever got back! I wonder about if I should choose certain numbers or not? have tried all sorts and guess what? Yeah I’m not a winner :cry: You’ve gota be in it to win it! they say, so I’ll keep trying! My lucks got to change one day? I don’t want to win the big numbers just a few million a do!! :wink: :laughing: If its a rollover we have a syndicate at work, I did enquire why we do this, someone mumbled something like better chance with more people playing plus the sharing would’nt be as bad with a rollover? :unamused:

Harry Monk:
In actual fact there is nothing illogical about buying a National Lottery ticket. Regardless of the mathematics, the advantages that would accrue by winning a jackpot prize far outweigh the disappointment of losing the £1 stake.

50p in the pound goes into the prize fund, so if it rolls over twice it is statistically “a good bet”.

There is one useful tactic when choosing numbers- choose numbers higher than 31 only. This will not improve your chances of winning, since any six numbers have the same chance as any other six of appearing, but since many people choose their numbers on the basis of friends and family birth dates, it reduces your chances of having to share the jackpot should you win it.

I’m a bad loser. I see the stake as money down the drain as 14M/1 is hellish odds.

I also can’t see why a rollover changes the chances of winning.

If the normal prize is 2 to 3 million, isn’t that enough for anyone to be comfortable for life?

When there is a rollover, more people play because they are greedy and are attracted by the headline prize fund. If you get lucky and are one of the winners of a rollover you are more likely to have to share the prize with other people, simply because more people are likely to have picked the same numbers that you did. Your potential prize is likely to be smaller than on a normal draw.

Also the odds of winning do not change regardless of previous draws. Each draw is ~14M/1. So a tax on people that can’t do maths and on dreamers.

Harry Monk:
I play because I have always had a dream. I have always longed to own my very own truck.

Then I could park it outside my house, and every morning I could go out and hit it with a hammer. :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: You can do that without winning the lottery Harry. Sounds a great idea though. :bulb:

SamIam:
I play randomly usually something to do with have I got any money in my ■■■■■, I tried doing the same as Harry, but it seemed they were taking more out of my bank account than I ever got back! I wonder about if I should choose certain numbers or not? have tried all sorts and guess what? Yeah I’m not a winner :cry: You’ve gota be in it to win it! they say, so I’ll keep trying! My lucks got to change one day? I don’t want to win the big numbers just a few million a do!! :wink: :laughing: If its a rollover we have a syndicate at work, I did enquire why we do this, someone mumbled something like better chance with more people playing plus the sharing would’nt be as bad with a rollover? :unamused:

Sorry Sam but this is exactly the behavior that the lottery relies on. They try to build up your enthusiasm by telling you what a huge prize fund there is. What they don’t tell you is that you still don’t stand a cat in hells chance of winning it. :imp:

Just remember, for evey winner there are millions of losers!

Nearly every time you play you are a loser. I guess some people were born to be losers, eh? :unamused:

I occasionally play online and I think there is a couple of quid left in my online account, not from a win, just from an extravagant thought one day when I put a tenner in.

I am often getting asked what I would do if I won the big one"and my standard reply is “keep sending the begging letters” :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes why do we play more when it is a rollover, that 14 million to one is still there, just that there are more million grockles playing. :wink:

I have a go when I remember and have had a few small wins - think the biggest was about £75, but I always look on the lottery as a pounds worth of dreams for a week. I do think the top prize should be limited to 1 million, and the prize value for 4 numbers should be higher but any extra (prize money) should go the the NHS.

Two points here…

1. Somebody wins it.

2. If I buy a pint of beer then that is money down the drain. My odds on winning a fortune because of buying a pint of beer are even poorer.

Wheel Nut:
I occasionally play online and I think there is a couple of quid left in my online account, not from a win, just from an extravagant thought one day when I put a tenner in.

I am often getting asked what I would do if I won the big one"and my standard reply is “keep sending the begging letters” :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes why do we play more when it is a rollover, that 14 million to one is still there, just that there are more million grockles playing. :wink:

I guess advertising works as the greed kicks in and we forget the odds are still crap.